43 replies to this topic

#41 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 04 May 2016 - 02:13 AM

You aren't an effin' professional!!!!!! There ain't no disagreement here. It's you, not knowing jack shit about the film industry and ME... working non stop in the industry.

And this is the crux of the problem. Tyler, you are going to have to accept that other people have opinions, and that those opinions are just as valid as yours. The vast majority of what you spend countless hours arguing with people about ARE JUST YOUR DAMN OPINIONS, NOT FACTS.

And just so you know, a lot of your 'facts' are totally wrong.

You seem to think that you have all the answers; that anyone who disagrees with your opinion is not only wrong, but incompetent as well. You've clearly got a massive chip on your shoulder. Maybe it's time to deal with that and leave the rest of us out of your crosshairs. Your attitude has gotten completely out of hand.

#42 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4305 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 04 May 2016 - 08:58 AM

You seem to think that you have all the answers; that anyone who disagrees with your opinion is not only wrong, but incompetent as well.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I don't for a minute feel like I have all the answers and I apologize if in an effort to help on subjects I'm pretty familiar with, based on decades of experience, that my answers could mislead because I misdiagnosed an issue OR technology has changed in the last few months. An opinion only matters if it's founded based on a vast amount of experience, not just a few years.

I assume if you were teaching a class on cinematography, if your pupils constantly told you how to do things and that everything you did was wrong, you would be pretty upset, wouldn't you?

#43 Landon D. Parks

Landon D. Parks
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1924 posts
  • Producer
  • West Chester Township, Ohio

Posted 04 May 2016 - 09:47 AM

What you fail to understand, Tyler, is I'm not your student and you're not my teacher. I didn't come here to get an education in filmmaking (though I'm still learning everyday, gleaning valuable advice from these posts) nor to become someones apprentice. I'm another person already working in the industry (rather you think that is the case or not is irrelevant). While it might well be a pretty stupid thing for a student to try to teach the teacher, I am not a film student in your program - and the advice I offer to people, or my opinions, are based on what I know, just as much as your advice and opinions are. And no, an opinion is not valid only when it's based on years of experience. An opinion is valid when it is based on experience. In reality, an opinion is valid anyway regardless of experience, because it's simply a persons opinion on something. When I give an opinion though, it tends to be educated opinion.

I also want to apologize for getting worked up, and perhaps this was not thread for argument - but you came here posting things that basically directly attacked a great deal of filmmakers who might frequent this forum looking for advice - essentially telling them it's their fault you can't work in the industry like you'd like to. Given your contradiction in your above posts, it almost appears as if the whole post was designed as a rant (above you say you don't want to be on the fringe without quality work, then you say in the next post you don't want union jobs because they are too difficult). I was under the impression the primary purpose of this forum was not only for professional networking, but also to provide those with less experience with the experience they need or to answer their questions they might have. Many of those are doing their own projects - and you're actively berating them. I had to step in and defend those of us who work in that manner.

That is all I have to say on the matter. Let's go back to offering helpful advice where it's warranted, and being good citizens toward the community. 

Edited by Landon D. Parks, 04 May 2016 - 09:48 AM.

#44 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 04 May 2016 - 03:04 PM

I'm sorry you feel that way. I don't for a minute feel like I have all the answers and I apologize if in an effort to help on subjects I'm pretty familiar with, based on decades of experience, that my answers could mislead because I misdiagnosed an issue OR technology has changed in the last few months. An opinion only matters if it's founded based on a vast amount of experience, not just a few years.

I assume if you were teaching a class on cinematography, if your pupils constantly told you how to do things and that everything you did was wrong, you would be pretty upset, wouldn't you?

We all have more experience in some fields and less in others. It's important to recognize your own weaknesses as well as your strengths. If you think that you have no weaknesses or gaps in your knowledge then you're not being honest with yourself.

I've only used the GH4 and Pocket cameras a few times. I'm not going to write long posts about their virtues and faults because I don't know enough about them. If Landon has shot with nothing but the GH4 for a year, then he certainly knows more than me and probably you too.

Similarly, I would defer to you on shooting with the Pocket as I've only AC'd with it a few times and shot on it twice myself. I'd expect that since you've only touched a C300 a few times, that you would defer to me since I do a lot of work with C100/300/300 Mk2.

Robin and Mark K have shot a ton with the F5, certainly more than me. They know what the deal is with that camera. I don't know anything about servicing film cameras, that's why I ask Dom for help since he had decades of experience doing just that. I'm not going to tell JD, Andrew, or Guy how to build a grip rig or run distro. I'm not going to tell Richard how to produce a movie. Or Greg how to pull focus. Or David Mullen how to do anything!

Having an opinion is fine. You're allowed, we all are. Say your piece back it up, and leave it be. If someone else finds it helpful, then great. And someone else has something to say, maybe try listening instead. Might be you'll learn something new.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Camera Operating, 4k, Resolution

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

Wooden Camera