Photo

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K - CONFIRMED! BMPCC 4K!

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#61 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4465 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 01 October 2018 - 01:38 AM

Oh look, it's now postponed to November.

I'll be waiting a while for this one :(

#62 Landon D. Parks

Landon D. Parks
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1924 posts
  • Producer
  • West Chester Township, Ohio

Posted 14 October 2018 - 05:13 PM

When they said September, I expected September 30th, AKA, October. They have made that mark, and a lot of people already have production models in hand. It's a slow roll out, and if you didn't pre-order it might still be a month or two before they come in stock for immediate purchase. I still haven't received mine yet. Just like I said, they'll make their release date (which they did, more or less), but it will have backorder issues.

Although I will say, every bit of footage I have seen from it has impressed me ten-fold. The two I ordered will definitely become my A and B cams, with the two pockets I have being used for C and D cam footage / B Roll. The camera is begging to be rigged out, and I would not use it 'hand-held' or try to be discreet with it. 

A better name would have been 'Blackmagic URSA Micro' or something rather than trying to be an upgrade on the pocket camera. IMHO, the pocket has little to nothing in common with this camera. 

#63 David Peterson

David Peterson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Auckland, New Zealand.

Posted 23 October 2018 - 08:37 AM

A better name would have been 'Blackmagic URSA Micro' or something rather than trying to be an upgrade on the pocket camera. IMHO, the pocket has little to nothing in common with this camera. 

I hope there is a URSA Micro Pro! Even if they just use exactly the same sensor. 
Imagine how good the BMPCC4K would be with built in NDs, SDI outputs, genlock, etc 

#64 aapo lettinen

aapo lettinen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1218 posts
  • Other
  • Finland

Posted 23 October 2018 - 09:27 AM

When they said September, I expected September 30th, AKA, October.

yep, September 30th, 2019 ? sounds reasonable by BMD standards  :lol:

I used all the money for scuba equipment anyway so maybe will look for the Pocket next Autumn when it actually arrives to the shops near me  B)

#65 Samuel Berger

Samuel Berger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1258 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 23 October 2018 - 05:16 PM

Well it looks like some folks are getting it and scalping it. Interesting. Some are asking for $2500...

#66 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4465 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 October 2018 - 06:01 PM

I used all the money for scuba equipment anyway so maybe will look for the Pocket next Autumn when it actually arrives to the shops near me  B)

Ohh do say? I love scuba equipment! hehe :P

#67 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1663 posts
  • Director
  • Og from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 23 October 2018 - 06:31 PM

Time to buy some fresh packs of yugioh cards!

#68 Jon O'Brien

Jon O'Brien
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Other
  • Brisbane

Posted 23 October 2018 - 07:33 PM

Will this new version mean that the original BMPCC becomes somewhat obsolete and possibly affect the value/availability of S16-suitable lenses eg. on Ebay?

#69 David Peterson

David Peterson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Auckland, New Zealand.

Posted 23 October 2018 - 08:36 PM

yep, September 30th, 2019 ? sounds reasonable by BMD standards  :lol:

Is already shipping

Well it looks like some folks are getting it and scalping it. Interesting. Some are asking for $2500...

WHOA! A 100% mark up?? Ballsy! 

Will this new version mean that the original BMPCC becomes somewhat obsolete and possibly affect the value/availability of S16-suitable lenses eg. on Ebay?

They'll probably come down a little if no other appealing and popular S16 camera comes out. 

However the BMPCC already pushed prices of S16 lenses so high, that even after coming down a little, they'll still be much higher than they used to be. 

And S16 lenses on a BMPCC4K still would be covering much more than 2K, so they'll still have a lot of appeal on the new camera too.

#70 Shawn Sutherland

Shawn Sutherland

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Other

Posted 24 November 2018 - 05:21 PM

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K in Canada.

Where can I buy it?

Edited by Shawn Sutherland, 24 November 2018 - 05:26 PM.

#71 Vital Butinar

Vital Butinar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Student
  • Ljubljana, Slovenija

Posted 13 December 2018 - 11:56 AM

Has anybody shot anything more than test footage on the BMPCC4K?

Because I'm slowly comping to the point where I'm looking for something to have on hand for smaller projects and it looks like the BMPCC4K could be the answer. Of course I need to thing what will happen the next time I expand so I need to think about compatibility for the future with lenses and stuff.

Anyway thanks for the info and best regards

Vital

#72 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4465 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 13 December 2018 - 03:00 PM

I'll be getting one soon... but gotta wait a bit until the prices aren't crazy. There just isn't enough inventory yet to just buy one without paying a premium.

#73 Vital Butinar

Vital Butinar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Student
  • Ljubljana, Slovenija

Posted 13 December 2018 - 03:13 PM

I'll be getting one soon... but gotta wait a bit until the prices aren't crazy. There just isn't enough inventory yet to just buy one without paying a premium.

Yeah I know what you mean. I've been working with a dslr and its been OK but I'm seeing the need for something a little better just to save time and improve quality without spending even more time to try and get the quality. That's why I'm looking for a little insight first hand from someone who has used it.

It's not expensive but it's still a lot of money if it's going to give me what I need hehe.

#74 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4465 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 13 December 2018 - 03:31 PM

Well, none of the DSLR's shoot decent quality video. The best out there, even if 4k is still 8 bit 4:2:0 200Mbps Long GOP Mpeg files, which are basically the lowest-end compression possible. Ya can't do great stills and great video in a package like that, you gotta go with one or the other. The ASIC's (which are the integrated circuits that encode files) are either tuned towards video or stills. The camera would need to be A LOT bigger to run a hybrid system and nobody has bothered to do it yet. Even the H6D-50c/H6D-100c, which are the highest end Hasselblad's record in the same format as the lowest-end DSLR.

Where Canon's imager and color science blow the doors off anything blackmagic makes, the Pocket 4k does seem to have a marketable quality bump over not only it's predecessor, but also the URSA Mini 4.6k. Also, if your color science is baked in or even in log mode, difficult to decode because the MPEG noise tears the image to shreds, what's the point ya know?

With Blackmagic design, they use Pro Res, DNX or various RAW recording standards which are "lossless" in quality. This means, with a log gamma curve, you can make adjustments to the highlights and blacks, which won't reveal compression artifacts, since they just don't exist. Yes, Pro Res and RAW formats are heavy on disk space, but they're also very easy for the computer to playback because the playback engine is multithreaded, unlike .h264's which isn't. So for instance, my 3.46ghz double CPU, 12 core, 24 thread editing bay tears through 4k Pro Res footage like it's no problem, but struggles to playback 4k .h264 media in real time. This is because the codec is not efficient, it's designed for web streaming in small file sizes, not for camera original and post production. This is why people edit in "proxy" mode most of the time because they have no choice. I edit with camera originals most of the time due to quick turnaround's and being able to see the final output all the time.

So yes, if you take a look at the big picture; price vs performance vs post production, the Blackmagic Cameras are a good "compromise" and having played with the new Pocket 4k 2 times now, I can attest to how good of a job they've done with the camera. It's been 3 years in the making and even though it's got some issues, I think for the price people can ignore them.

#75 Vital Butinar

Vital Butinar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Student
  • Ljubljana, Slovenija

Posted 15 December 2018 - 07:51 AM

Well, none of the DSLR's shoot decent quality video. The best out there, even if 4k is still 8 bit 4:2:0 200Mbps Long GOP Mpeg files, which are basically the lowest-end compression possible. Ya can't do great stills and great video in a package like that, you gotta go with one or the other. The ASIC's (which are the integrated circuits that encode files) are either tuned towards video or stills. The camera would need to be A LOT bigger to run a hybrid system and nobody has bothered to do it yet. Even the H6D-50c/H6D-100c, which are the highest end Hasselblad's record in the same format as the lowest-end DSLR.

Where Canon's imager and color science blow the doors off anything blackmagic makes, the Pocket 4k does seem to have a marketable quality bump over not only it's predecessor, but also the URSA Mini 4.6k. Also, if your color science is baked in or even in log mode, difficult to decode because the MPEG noise tears the image to shreds, what's the point ya know?

With Blackmagic design, they use Pro Res, DNX or various RAW recording standards which are "lossless" in quality. This means, with a log gamma curve, you can make adjustments to the highlights and blacks, which won't reveal compression artifacts, since they just don't exist. Yes, Pro Res and RAW formats are heavy on disk space, but they're also very easy for the computer to playback because the playback engine is multithreaded, unlike .h264's which isn't. So for instance, my 3.46ghz double CPU, 12 core, 24 thread editing bay tears through 4k Pro Res footage like it's no problem, but struggles to playback 4k .h264 media in real time. This is because the codec is not efficient, it's designed for web streaming in small file sizes, not for camera original and post production. This is why people edit in "proxy" mode most of the time because they have no choice. I edit with camera originals most of the time due to quick turnaround's and being able to see the final output all the time.

So yes, if you take a look at the big picture; price vs performance vs post production, the Blackmagic Cameras are a good "compromise" and having played with the new Pocket 4k 2 times now, I can attest to how good of a job they've done with the camera. It's been 3 years in the making and even though it's got some issues, I think for the price people can ignore them.

Thank you for the insight. It's exactly what I'm looking for. Right now I need something that might not be the best but good enough to work with and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
I think the BMPCC4K could be it. It's good enough to serve us for a a year or two while we get the funds to buy something else and then can still use it as a B camera of some projects.

#76 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2164 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 18 December 2018 - 02:26 PM

The Blackmagic Raw functionality should be interesting once made available on the BMPCC 4K.

It seems like Blackmagic is doing a very good job bridging the gap between professional and hobbyist by making quality codecs and sensors available for smaller budget productions. There will always be compromises with equipment under $2k, but bravo to them for trying.

#77 Vital Butinar

Vital Butinar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Student
  • Ljubljana, Slovenija

Posted 21 January 2019 - 11:14 AM

Well the good news is that I have just placed an order for the Pocket Camera 4K last week and it should be arriving next month with lens adapters and everything that I need.

I am really excited about it. :)

#78 Phil Connolly

Phil Connolly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Director
  • Brighton

Posted 21 January 2019 - 12:44 PM

Well the good news is that I have just placed an order for the Pocket Camera 4K last week and it should be arriving next month with lens adapters and everything that I need.

I am really excited about it. :)

Hope you get it - I ordered 5 of them in September last year - still no sign of them :(

Some manufacturing issues according to the dealer

#79 Vital Butinar

Vital Butinar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Student
  • Ljubljana, Slovenija

Posted 21 January 2019 - 01:20 PM

Hope you get it - I ordered 5 of them in September last year - still no sign of them :(

Some manufacturing issues according to the dealer

Wow... that long. Yeah the dealer told us the same thing that there are some problems that's why it takes a month or two to arrive. But they said that the people that had ordered the them in November and December 2018 have just received them.

Hope you get yours soon.

Visual Products

Glidecam

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

Serious Gear

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio