22 replies to this topic

#21 Benson Marks

Benson Marks
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Student

Posted 23 November 2008 - 04:19 PM

I think I like Deep Space 9 the best is because it's funny and goofy at times.

And couldn't things be funny and goofy in the 25th Century as well?

Maybe not in the 25th century but this short proves you made a close guess.

http://video.yahoo.c...ch/42704/964606

#22 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 23 November 2008 - 10:46 PM

Come to think of it, arguing over which ones were the best makes me think this new Trek movie's gonna be even worse than I originally thought.

I hope that is not the case.

I am critical only because of what was done in the last television series.

You know what is funny? The Star Trek movies with the smallest budgets (as with the Original Series) have always done the best.

Look at ST:II. Everything was shot primarily on one bridge set. Regula I was a redress of a model used in ST:TMP, and the only new model was the Reliant Model. Even the Kobayashi Maru simulation footage of the Klingon Battle ships was recycled from ST:TMP.

It seems that whenever special effects take center stage to the story line, that the movie suffers. Science Fiction has always been about discussing the human condition first. So I hate to see SFX take over when ST:TOS inspired so many Sci-Fi writers, and they have an opportunity to entertain and inspire again, and instead it looks like they're just milking the franchise and blowing a bunch of stuff up on screen.

I mean, there probably isn't nearly as much social upheaval from which to derive good story material, as there was in the '60s, but surely there are plenty of controversial, relevant issues that would make for a good Star Trek movie. I really really hope that this isn't going to be another thinly scripted shoot-em-up action movie that exploits a classic sci-fi franchise, but these trailers don't really inspire me.

#23 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 23 November 2008 - 10:55 PM

It seems that whenever special effects take center stage to the story line, that the movie suffers. Science Fiction has always been about discussing the human condition first. So I hate to see SFX take over when ST:TOS inspired so many Sci-Fi writers, and they have an opportunity to entertain and inspire again, and instead it looks like they're just milking the franchise and blowing a bunch of stuff up on screen.

I mean, there probably isn't nearly as much social upheaval from which to derive good story material, as there was in the '60s, but surely there are plenty of controversial, relevant issues that would make for a good Star Trek movie.

I'll buy that.

CineLab

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine