#1 Pavan Deep

Pavan Deep
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • UK

Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:07 AM

The Wolverine Super 8 scanner is pretty cheap and basic and I'm sure the quality is pretty mediocre. I suppose to get decent scans with it one would need a better light source, a better camera and lens inside. Just wondering if anyone has tinkered with this unit.

Pav

#2 Bob Speziale

Bob Speziale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Other
  • N.J., USA

Posted 11 October 2018 - 01:36 PM

Check reviews on Amazon, B&H, and see actual results on youtube. There are many negative reviews on the output and on the functioning of the scanner. A major complaint is it only engages one sprocket at a time which leads to jams.

#3 Todd Pinder

Todd Pinder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Honolulu

Posted 11 October 2018 - 04:40 PM

I thought the biggest problem was compression 

#4 Bob Speziale

Bob Speziale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Other
  • N.J., USA

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:16 PM

I haven't used it myself but the three main complaints were the quality of the scanned movies and breaking or jamming the film due to the one sprocket being used to advance the film instead of three sprokets used on more expensive equipment which caused people to have to rescan many times, and breakdown of the equipment. Also the warranty was only for 200 scans. One reviewer said it took more than 20 tries to scan one 3 minute piece of film. At that rate the warranty would expire after 8-10 film scans.

I thought the biggest problem was compression 

Edited by Bob Speziale, 11 October 2018 - 09:19 PM.

#5 Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Other
  • Born in L.A....NYC is 2nd home...Rustbelt is home base.

Posted 12 October 2018 - 01:29 PM

I scanned this with a Wolverine.

nsfw

Too low Q for me. 

Plus it broke after 20 something reels. Then it ate up an important film. Once it starts to squeal, stop scanning or you risk getting your film ruined. 

If it was higher Q and lasted 20+ reels, then it could work even as a disposable and still be economically feasible versus paying a lot of $ to get the film scanned. 

#6 Bob Speziale

Bob Speziale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Other
  • N.J., USA

Posted 12 October 2018 - 01:47 PM

Plus scenes played too fast in some sections. I wonder if that could be slowed down in the editor to appear to be at normal speed?

#7 Pavan Deep

Pavan Deep
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • UK

Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:28 PM

Has anyone tried to change its camera, or lens?

Pav

#8 Duncan Corbin

Duncan Corbin

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Other
  • Wisconsin

Posted 17 October 2018 - 11:03 PM

The ONLY good thing about this scanner is that it's affordable. Besides that, it's not meant for any type of serious preservation. I bought this when I was offered a job to scan priceless footage of Wisconsin and I ran into many problems with it: the film wouldn't be in the same place you aligned the camera when you hit the record button, the film would get stuck in the gate so I had many five seconds to hour long scans of just one frame, the recording quality was so bad I had to apologize to the client, the scanner will not play back the footage like advertised, and the list goes on and on. Unless you're just buying this to keep some footage alive, don't buy this. 

#9 Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 October 2018 - 07:48 AM

Has anyone tried to change its camera, or lens?

Pav

Check here, I think I remember reading about a guy that modded it. 

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/

Topic Date Forum Wolverine MKPro Resolution October 18, 2018 8mm Forum Wolverine Movie Maker October 14, 2018 8mm Forum Looking for a schematic October 12, 2018 8mm Forum Wolverine Pro... what am I doing wrong? Please help! September 18, 2018 8mm Forum Comparison of Digitizing Methods, YouTube vid September 16, 2018 8mm Forum Super 8 to digital: variable speed projector best? September 14, 2018 8mm Forum Wolverine Pro uk September 07, 2018 8mm Forum Crappy Wolverine Codec? September 06, 2018 8mm Forum Telecine via Viewer/Editor August 17, 2018 8mm Forum Wolverine digital converter July 28, 2018 8mm Forum Wolverine/Somikon (etc) film scan clips May 16, 2018 8mm Forum How to Fix a Wolverine Rotation Problem April 08, 2018 8mm Forum Wolverine Moviemaker-Pro thoughts and issues March 27, 2018 8mm Forum GOKO 8mm Multi-Recording Sound Editor RM-3 Film Splicer Viewer March 25, 2018 8mm Forum New guy in the forum, question regarding Filmguard February 19, 2018 8mm Forum moviestuff.tv upgrade February 04, 2018 8mm Forum Questions about 8mm to digital January 24, 2018 8mm Forum Digitize Sound from 8MM? December 17, 2017 8mm Forum Super 8mm film to digital. November 23, 2017 8mm Forum Jumping back into Films. November 17, 2017 8mm Forum New Toy! Chinon 2500GL Variable Speed October 17, 2017 8mm Forum Noris Norisound 512 take up reel September 25, 2017 8mm Forum Wolverine September 25, 2017 8mm Forum Wolverine MovieMaker randomly stops August 31, 2017 8mm Forum Winait, My email-thier reply' August 30, 2017 8mm Forum Reflecta Super 8+ scanner August 10, 2017 8mm Forum Wolverine Film2Digital Moviemaker digitizer: Focus problem May 19, 2017 8mm Forum Somikon HD-XL Film Scanner & Digitizer (Super) 8mm - EU market May 13, 2017 8mm Forum Film scanner: Retro/MovieStuff/Flash vs Wolverine/Somikon May 01, 2017 8mm Forum Possibly stupid question about green film April 28, 2017 8mm Forum New Wolverine Digitizer problem April 26, 2017 8mm Forum Wolverine April 22, 2017 8mm Forum review Wolverine Reels2Digital MovieMaker 8mm film digitizer April 01, 2017 8mm Forum Family 8mm movies February 08, 2017 8mm Forum Digitising Film January 12, 2017 8mm Forum Wolverine film2 digital hack September 05, 2016 8mm Forum

#10 Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 October 2018 - 07:51 AM

The ONLY good thing about this scanner is that it's affordable. Besides that, it's not meant for any type of serious preservation. I bought this when I was offered a job to scan priceless footage of Wisconsin and I ran into many problems with it: the film wouldn't be in the same place you aligned the camera when you hit the record button, the film would get stuck in the gate so I had many five seconds to hour long scans of just one frame, the recording quality was so bad I had to apologize to the client, the scanner will not play back the footage like advertised, and the list goes on and on. Unless you're just buying this to keep some footage alive, don't buy this. 

BH used to have a super 8 scanner that looked like a movie projector. It was about $1200. It had good reviews, but they don't seem to sell it any longer.

The movie film scanner options are terrible for anyone that is on a budget. Really sad industry has not filled this niche.

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr., 19 October 2018 - 07:51 AM.

#11 Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 October 2018 - 07:55 AM

Too bad they didn't make this one in higher res. I heard they were decent scanners. 

https://www.ebay.com...btYZg:rk:3:pf:0

A lot of these film scanners seem to be made in some guys garage. I don't care about that, as long as they are affordable, reliable and produce decent scans.

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr., 19 October 2018 - 07:58 AM.

Glidecam

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post