New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Curitiba

Posted 06 June 2018 - 02:59 PM

Hey guys! My first post here   ;)

Currently I'm prepping to shoot my first short-film. I've worked as a DP on commercials and documentaries, but never on narrative film.

The script I'll be shooting involves a great amount of tension on the characters almost from beginning to end, so, along with the director (we've worked together a billion time, also as a directing duo) I'm deciding how to bring this tension to the camera. Hard sunlight hitting the subjects face on a low-key enviroment is a great option, but I'm seeking ways to create this tension/contrast through color/color mixing. "Moonlight", shot by James Laxton is a nice reference, so, I was wondering how Laxton accomplished some shots, especially these ones:

moonlight_72.jpg

moonlight_68.jpg

On an interview, Laxton says he changed the greenish fluorescents from the restaurant to get this blue look (although at the exterior shot they seem quite green to me), the one working as a backlight on the interior shot. I was wondering what kind of lamp is that and at what temperature? I imagine that the inside tungstens are 3200K ~ 2800K, but the outside blue is just to blue to be a regular daylight 5400K.

Also, at what white balance was the camera set to be able to capture yellow from the inside and blue from the outside?

Thank you guys very much, really happy to be a part of the forum   ;)

Edited by Giordano Maestrelli Zarnicinski, 06 June 2018 - 03:00 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blue, yellow, color, temperature, tungsten, fluorescent, moonlight, laxton, mixing

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

CineLab

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment