#21 Gregg MacPherson

Gregg MacPherson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1976 posts
  • Other
  • New Zealand

Posted 30 September 2018 - 05:46 PM

Don't know much about his matte boxes, but I've had a couple of his rods with base units and they are very well designed and made. Adding weight though. One unit I still have, someone had drilled/milled out quite a lot of alloy from the base, which helped.

Once you are looking at the design requirements for a rod system for an ACL it is quite trickey. I had some fun in ACAD drawing for an ACL II rod system. The camera designers were not thinking much about Indies and artists shooting precise stuff with matte boxes.  The ACL II camera base is not very friendly to the available generic rod base systems.  I have one ACL II camera base that was customised, actually, probably made from scratch, so that the rod mount simply screwed to the camera base.

The ACL II  is also getting a bit uncomfortable on the shoulder with rod base and a quick release plate attached.  My thoughts went this way...a 19mm rod base that enabled a set of stiff handles, shoulder cushion and rear mounted battery. With a 15mm rod mount at the front. All trying to be light.

It's a shame that the era of the film camera as the ubiquitous production tool is over, because a third party adaption of the ACL magazine with composites would deliver something really light. Lighter than an Aaton, and bringing any desired ergonomic refinements. Basically taking all the hardware from the existing magazine and putting it into a carbon/kevlar shell. The initial easy way being to preserve a small part of the front of the alloy shell.

19mm rod base for ACL II screen shot 1.JPG

Edited by Gregg MacPherson, 30 September 2018 - 05:50 PM.

#22 Willem Jansen

Willem Jansen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Other
  • Netherlands

Posted 01 October 2018 - 08:15 AM

Really interesting, Greg. I like the design, especially the shoulder cushion. I don't really understand why they made the bottom of the 400ft magazine round and not more shoulder ergonomic. It's not a big bother to me, but it would've made more sense, right?

I have handles and got a DIY made rod base from the guy that sold me his ACL. He still has to ship it to me, though. But my plan is to get two 15mm 9" rods and add it to the base with the handles at the end. Hopefully it works out. Adding a shoulder cushion would be a nice final touch if there's a way to do that.

Technodolly

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Abel Cine

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC