#21 Gregg MacPherson

Gregg MacPherson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1976 posts
  • Other
  • New Zealand

Posted 27 September 2017 - 01:58 AM

OK,  so one,  or both of us,  may be being a little repetitive... :)

Any engineer who is good with smaller parts on a lathe could cut the thread and make a lock ring for you.  Asked nicely,  they might tell you what the thread diameter and pitch are,  so you could try to find a ready made part that just needs a little work.  I'm not sure why it's hard finding the people you need in San Fran.  Here,  Auckland (pop 1.377M) there are many precision engineers and my gues hundreds of good lathe guys.

If you know the tread spec on the VF mount you might find something like a cheap end cap at the supply shop for gass or pneumatics fittings.  Just needs a hole in it.  No thread to cut.  If you need to find out the thread specs you coud try measuring the diameter and the thread pitch on your VF mount.  Borrow a digital vernier,  measure the diameter,  this will show slightly less than the nominal diameter.  For the threads,  say you have 4 threads, measure,  over 4 threads,  from tip to tip then divide by four.

Common metric thread sizes for various diameters you can find online...If one matches,  maybe it will work.
https://en.wikipedia...ic_screw_thread

Or you could take your VF mount and just see what fits.

Another idea to source a lock ring,  which will come with the "washer" that the lock ring clamps,  would be to find a basket case VF.....Ask all the techs,  just for those parts.

Samual's idea of the emachineshop is quite good if they are afordable,  and they are in NJ...not China...

If you are having someone make something,  drawings specifying exactly what it is are really needed.  The likes of the emachineshop will need a 3d drawing (model).

Re the power connector issues..
Do ACL I.5 have a deeper base than ACL I..?  ACL I is tight,  I open a base and thought it a bit tight.  If you don't need to swap out the connector,  why do it.  Just solve the problem with the connectors.  You have a male 4 pin Jager on your camera.  What is on the other end of the cable.  If it's a female XLR4 and your supply box on the steadicam is a female XLR4,  then you just need a male to male XLR4.

Jaeger 4 pins are fidly with the soldering and fitting if you are green (I was, but did OK),  but reasonably skilled electronics guys should have no trouble.  Canon XLR4 is pretty easy,  even a rough hobyist can do it...

The only legitimate reason I can think of to swap ot the ACL I power connector from Jaeger to XLR is because the XLR is much tougher in service.

Last thought.  Does your University have a machine shop?  Our art school had a well equiped machine shop,  and the University we were part of had a machine shop also.  I had just left,  but got access to machine parts for a dolly and build it etc,  and building a matte box with some aluminum castings,  I got the university machine shop to drill and tap some holes for free.  I had no workshop then...

Apologies for any inadverdent repetition.... :)

#22 Carl Nenzen Loven

Carl Nenzen Loven
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Student
  • San Francisco

Posted 29 September 2017 - 01:55 AM

How about an online machine shop?

https://www.emachineshop.com/

Interesting, worth looking into.

But first I might just have some of my friend 3d print something that might work.

C

#23 Samuel Berger

Samuel Berger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 23 November 2017 - 01:30 AM

Interesting, worth looking into.

But first I might just have some of my friend 3d print something that might work.

So, where are we at with that?

Do you have a working video assist?

#24 Carl Nenzen Loven

Carl Nenzen Loven
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Student
  • San Francisco

Posted 23 November 2017 - 01:57 AM

So, where are we at with that?

Do you have a working video assist?

I have a working microscope camera that runs of 12v plug (could probably be adapted to run of something else). I know the distance I need to mount it to the viewfinder (first idea was to have a steadicam viewfinder, and one normal one). But I have no machine tools at my house to do the leg work...

C

#25 Samuel Berger

Samuel Berger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 23 November 2017 - 02:06 PM

I have a working microscope camera that runs of 12v plug (could probably be adapted to run of something else). I know the distance I need to mount it to the viewfinder (first idea was to have a steadicam viewfinder, and one normal one). But I have no machine tools at my house to do the leg work...

C

What focal length lens is on that camera? What distance do you need to mount it to the viewfinder?

Is this something you'll screw into the viewfinder hole, replacing it?

#26 Samuel Berger

Samuel Berger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 23 November 2017 - 03:49 PM

This guy used a simple project box to get the correct distance and attachment from the mini camera to his CP16R:

video.jpg

#27 Gregg MacPherson

Gregg MacPherson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1976 posts
  • Other
  • New Zealand

Posted 23 November 2017 - 06:11 PM

That looks like a CP16A, a non reflex camera with a dog leg VF built into the zoom.  Can you share the URL for those web pages... Thanks.

#28 Samuel Berger

Samuel Berger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 23 November 2017 - 06:22 PM

Gregg, you've caught me talking without thinking again. I'm now seeing it's a Frezzolini.  Unfortunately I don't have the URL to those pages, it's just stuff from old folders I was going through. I had another one by the same author. Let me look...

I swear, if it weren't for you I'd go through this hobby believing all sorts of inaccuracies.

monitor.JPG

#29 Samuel Berger

Samuel Berger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 23 November 2017 - 06:58 PM

I found it, it came from the forum. http://www.cinematog...showtopic=38623

#30 Carl Nenzen Loven

Carl Nenzen Loven
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Student
  • San Francisco

Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:29 PM

https://www.instagra...=lastlightmovie

Thisis the best idea I have seen so far.

Will take my camera to home depot and test nuts and bolts that might work with my microscope camera.

C

#31 Samuel Berger

Samuel Berger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:32 PM

https://www.instagra...=lastlightmovie

Thisis the best idea I have seen so far.

Will take my camera to home depot and test nuts and bolts that might work with my microscope camera.

C

Did he reply to you how he made it? Interesting. I have a BMPCC, this would actually give me a reason to use it.

#32 Carl Nenzen Loven

Carl Nenzen Loven
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Student
  • San Francisco

Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:35 PM

Did he reply to you how he made it? Interesting. I have a BMPCC, this would actually give me a reason to use it.

I mean it is pretty straight forward. He mounted a BMPCC to the viewfinder, and then used the HDMI to get the feed out.

C

#33 Samuel Berger

Samuel Berger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:15 PM

I mean it is pretty straight forward. He mounted a BMPCC to the viewfinder, and then used the HDMI to get the feed out.

C

Well after I saw that I remembered I have a Fujian 25mm lens in C-mount that has a 29mm thread and I started wondering. Wouldn't you know it. It fits straight onto the viewfinder port of the NPR. However I would need a different lens because that one can't focus on the ground glass, it's too close. But at least I now have the beginning of an idea.

Edited by Samuel Berger, 05 December 2017 - 04:17 PM.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider

Visual Products

Abel Cine