#21 Norm Li

Norm Li
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Vancouver, BC

Posted 01 March 2017 - 02:15 AM

I have actually purchased from Sergei a while ago and got my set of 4 Roundfront lomos. He disappeared for a while but finally came through. I thought I had been scammed but he finally delivered. The lenses were spot on and no issues.

He is known for disappearing but not sure if he is a scammer.

I think he probably takes orders and then disappears and tries to find the lenses after taking the order. His business practice of no correspondence is definitely not professional or comforting but for me at least, he did come through. 

Norm

#22 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2300 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 01 March 2017 - 03:20 AM

I have actually purchased from Sergei a while ago and got my set of 4 Roundfront lomos. He disappeared for a while but finally came through. I thought I had been scammed but he finally delivered. The lenses were spot on and no issues.

He is known for disappearing but not sure if he is a scammer.

I think he probably takes orders and then disappears and tries to find the lenses after taking the order. His business practice of no correspondence is definitely not professional or comforting but for me at least, he did come through. 

Norm

Thing is thats a scam.. if you have said you have those goods for sale and you dont.. but you accept someones money .. thats illegal.. and a scam.. if you admit you dont have the items but will try to find them and have no idea how long it will take  or if you will get your money back... then ok you take your chance.. otherwise its breaking the law.. no room for debate there.. 

#23 Kyryll Sobolev

Kyryll Sobolev
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Toronto

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:29 AM

in my conversation with sergey he did give norm's name as an example of a successful sale

i genuinely hope that sergey is ok, and that would be the only excuse (if he were sick or in a hospital or something).

but as it stands now, i am missing 3 things: they money, the lenses, and the seller...

#24 David Hessel

David Hessel
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:14 PM

I have purchased from him too, a foton zoom. Transaction was smooth without issue. It sucks the situation you are in, keep contacting him and keep is informed. Hopefully it will work out in the end.

#25 Luka Sanader

Luka Sanader
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Montreal

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:50 PM

I just got mail form Sergey, apparently he had accident, brooked several ribs and was in hospital... well i have no ongoing deals woth him and he answered my email, telling me this before i asked any questions. i "know" him for a long time now and he was allways more then correct with me. just some facts 

#26 Kyryll Sobolev

Kyryll Sobolev
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Toronto

Posted 10 March 2017 - 05:08 PM

yes yes, broken ribs...

he told me on january 29th that was the reason he has not sent me anything yet, and he will that very day call a courier who will pick up the lenses and ship them.

he is currently responding to his emails (after his broken ribs prevented him from replying to phone calls or using the said email...)

the latest news - there is an optical issue with the 18mm. if he can't fix it by this sunday, he swears that he will send me the set without that lens, and then once the 18mm is fixed he will send it as well.

or, to make up for the wait, he is offering a Kinor set of the same lenses (the ones i paid for are Konvas, which are older and with a worse engineering design).

of course, the Kinor conversion to PL-mount should be done within 2 months

so, should we place some bets, ladies and gentlemen?

will these lenses arrive before the 1 year date is up? will they arrive ever (at my house, that is)?

hey nothing is impossible - leicester city won EPL, cleveland won NBA, trump got elected, barcelona just made a historic win...

#27 Artur Kowalewski

Artur Kowalewski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Digital Image Technician
  • Warsaw

Posted 11 March 2017 - 03:21 AM

Kyryll, i'm sorry You didn't do a good deal and I'm sorry for Your loss, but maybe next time You should buy equipment form reputable Seller, with no issues with health or alcohol or any other. We all want to do great deals, because we do not want to spend more money and than things like this happend. I have similar set for sale, good reputation and account on eBay for 10 Years with great score. I want 8800 USD for it, but if You would buy it from me, You won't have this problem, as You have now. The reason i didn't sell it ? I hear all the time 'too much' or 'i can buy it cheaper'... and here it is - You've bought it cheaper, but You also have free ulcers in price.
You knew Sergey have tendency to dissapears. You risk... and here we are, all together. He should send lenses or send back the money, this is for sure and no doubt about it. I do not justify him, because i know Sergey and stories about Him. But don't You think there's also Your fault in this deal ? On every forum You have terms and conditions how to do deal with People, You do not know or do not trust. If He said 'wire transfer' You say "Paypal'. If He said 'no', You say 'thank You'. Than just do Your job, earn more, take some credit, borrow from Friends, if You do not have more... and than put money together and buy set from reputable Seller. Anyway. My idea for everyone is: spend more, but buy from reputable Sellers... and problem solved. Do not look for any 'great deals', because there's NO great deals. All people who believe in 'great deals', should also believe in dragons and fairies.

#28 Artur Kowalewski

Artur Kowalewski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Digital Image Technician
  • Warsaw

Posted 11 March 2017 - 05:01 AM

BTW. About rest of discussion. I do business with many Sellers from eastern Europe and never been cheated. I also sell to USA and i was cheated by Buyers many times, even using eBay. So there's no rule about fraud and people are just people. You can be cheated in USA, Western Europe or Eastern Europe.

#29 Kyryll Sobolev

Kyryll Sobolev
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Toronto

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:16 AM

thank you mr. kowalewski. i now understand life better.

i would like the set of lenses that you are offering. please send it to my address. i will pay afterwards.

i am a reputable member of cinematography industry, and i am in good standing with my IATSE local.

i do not have any ulcers or other health problems, and in fact i do play sports regularly.

#30 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2300 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 12 March 2017 - 01:29 AM

I think Artur used to work as an insurance assessor .. :)... hark his words Mr Sobolev..  in fact, in lieu of your self inflicted loss.. I have a very nice 1936 Rolls Royce Coupe for sale.. $350,000 .. Im British and member of the Greater Uppinton Gentleman's lawn bowls team..     please send funds and I will ship within the next 5 years.. if Im sober and haven't been abducted by Aliens .. 

#31 Kyryll Sobolev

Kyryll Sobolev
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Toronto

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:14 AM

thank you mr. probyn!

man, you and that nigerian prince from my emails are such nice guys

#32 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1773 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:34 AM

yes yes, broken ribs...

he is currently responding to his emails (after his broken ribs prevented him from replying to phone calls or using the said email...)

so, should we place some bets, ladies and gentlemen?

will these lenses arrive before the 1 year date is up? will they arrive ever (at my house, that is)?

hey nothing is impossible - leicester city won EPL, cleveland won NBA, trump got elected, barcelona just made a historic win...

Broken ribs....wonder how that happened?

I sincerely hope you get your lenses before the seller suffers a more serious accident.

#33 Luka Sanader

Luka Sanader
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Montreal

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:54 PM

we gamble sometimes, sometimes it works and sometimes you just have to pay life tax.  this ting with Sergey sucks but i hope he will come around, as he always did in past. several years back there was a big mess with some Anamorphics but that resolved as well, if i remember correctly. in the past i got several things form him as far as 2009, never a problem once. i had more problems with lens shop in CA that is now "industry standard" and that i made PayPal claim in order to get them to send my stuff back to me... i know its pain in the neck, but hopefully you will get your stuff and you wont do more biz with him. life go's on

#34 Stanislav Schubert

Stanislav Schubert
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Novosibirsk, Russia

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:58 AM

I do not like the context of this topic, yes, there was a problem with one person, for health reasons or for some other reason, it could be with anyone. But now everything boils down to the fact that the scammers in Eastern Europe, and in general in all the troubles the Russians are again to blame ...

#35 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2300 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:42 AM

I do not like the context of this topic, yes, there was a problem with one person, for health reasons or for some other reason, it could be with anyone. But now everything boils down to the fact that the scammers in Eastern Europe, and in general in all the troubles the Russians are again to blame ...

Personally I didn't mean to give that impression nor did I ever mention anything about Russia (where I have been many times ) or Eastern Europe.. the OP has ,by any sort of reasonable measure, not been dealt with very well.. the seller obviously has his problems but thats not the OP,s fault.. he's still down alot of money with nothing to show.. you wouldn't be angry ?.. I cant really see any defense myself.. but I agree this is not solely an East European problem.. 

#36 Stanislav Schubert

Stanislav Schubert
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Novosibirsk, Russia

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:53 AM

I hope that the problem will be solved and the lenses will come to Kyryll, then we will ask the moderators to remove this angry theme.

#37 David Hessel

David Hessel
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 March 2017 - 11:30 AM

In all fairness I must admit that I have always been more cautious when purchasing items from eastern Europe. Not because they are eastern European but the inability to use PayPal, I'm sure we would all agree it is much more risky using wire transfers than PayPal as there is no virtually no protection for the buyer. There could be more going on here than just some geographic or cultural stereotype. 

#38 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5510 posts
  • Director

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:07 PM

but the inability to use PayPal, 

And why do you think that is?

R,

#39 David Hessel

David Hessel
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:50 PM

What I read previously was their governments wouldn't allow it, for what reason I don't know.

#40 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5510 posts
  • Director

Posted 15 March 2017 - 11:20 PM

Well we have to face facts….there are nations with travel advisories issued against them by Western governments.  Countries that show up on lists of nations that get flagged by banks when you are attempting to do business with them.  Many countries with known very high levels of fraud, etc.

Ask yourself, would you be more nervous about completing a transaction for a $5000.00 item off ebay with a guy from Canada, or an Eastern European nation.  Let's get real here.

R,

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera