5 replies to this topic

#1 George Ebersole

George Ebersole
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1495 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 04 December 2016 - 03:10 AM

Has anyone ever mounted a DSLR on one of those mini table top dollys?  I did the other day and found it difficult as anything to not only mount the camera but also just to push it around to get a smooth shot.

Is there a secret to using these guys?

Support Cinematography.com and buy gear using our Amazon links!
PANASONIC LUMIX GH5 Body 4K Mirrorless Camera, 20.3 Megapixels, Dual I.S. 2.0, 4K 422 10-bit, Full Size HDMI Out, 3 Inch Touch LCD, DC-GH5KBODY (USA Black)

#2 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Director
  • Og from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 04 December 2016 - 10:32 AM

I've never bothered with those for DSLR, cause the cameras are always so light/tiny.

One thing I'd do a lot is getting a big glossy magazine page, putting the DSLR screwed into a metal release plate on top and tug it along by the sides on a flat surface like carpet or counter top. Worked great on carpet and costed nothing for a dynamic angle.

#3 Landon Hill

Landon Hill

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 04 December 2016 - 04:35 PM

Not sure what exact dolly you are talking about, but I've done it with an Alexa on a smaller table top dolly and didn't seem to have any problems getting any smooth shots. I imagine it wouldn't be much different with a DSLR other than the weight factor. 

#4 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11734 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 December 2016 - 08:41 PM

'course, heavier actually helps with dollies.

P

#5 George Ebersole

George Ebersole
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1495 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 05 December 2016 - 12:58 AM

The chasis for the thing was about the size of a roller skate, and it had a flex arm that just didn't want to cooperate.  It's meant for slow subtle moves, but I just didn't have the patience for it.

Not a big deal.  But thanks for the replies.

#6 Robert Hart

Robert Hart
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 14 April 2017 - 03:21 AM

When applying movement to the dolly, use a drawstring attached as near to table level as you can to avoid a tipping moment also being applied. Adding weight should help. The easiest method might be to beg some wheel weights from your local tyrefitter and gaffertape those on to the structure at as low a position as you can. Make sure the wheels are scrupulously clean so no bits of grit cause the wheel to hop. Spin the wheels to check for runout. Silicon tyred rollerblade wheels may develop flat spots if the dolly has been stored on the wheels and not propped upright. If moisture has entered the bearings, they may also be running out or momentarily catching, causing jolts. To control the movement, maybe tie another drawstring on the rear and attach to it, a weight with a flat surface wrapped in cloth to provide a dragging load which is easier to controllably pull against. Don't cut the drawstring too short or it will pull upwards and will jump. If the tabletop is too small then hang the load on a long string over the edge.

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

CineTape

Quantum Music Works