#1 Jon O'Brien

Jon O'Brien
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • Other
  • Brisbane

Posted 05 February 2019 - 05:09 PM

Hi there, can someone help me with a question about electronics - a subject I'm not all that familiar with. I've got a 2 perf Arri IIC camera recently modified by Aranda and the next thing I need to do is get a battery.

I need a 12V sealed battery, the 7 amp hours version. I've located one of those. The camera has a power lead with a Cannon 4-pin XLR male plug at the battery end. I need to attach a 4-pin female receptacle to a short length of cable, which then has connectors attached to the other end that fits onto the battery terminals (slip on, or alligator clips I suppose). My question is what amperage/wattage strength of cable will be good to buy - I want to make sure I get this right and don't cook anything or add unnecessary resistance.

#2 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1917 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 05 February 2019 - 06:03 PM

Hi Jon,

Ideally you would house the gel cell in a case (pelican or other), fit a 4 pin XLR panel socket and a fuse holder with say a 10 or 15A fuse, and solder the connections. Standard 240V cable would do fine, you can strip the outer sheath and use the inner wires.

Alternatively, contact Malcolm at Cameraquip in Melbourne and see if he might sell you a 12V battery case. There is a Brisbane branch. He might sell you all sorts of accessories if you tell him your needs, I think he's up for reasonable offers.

#3 Jon O'Brien

Jon O'Brien
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • Other
  • Brisbane

Posted 05 February 2019 - 07:48 PM

Hi Dom, I've got in touch with Malcolm. Will let you know how I get on.

#4 Jon O'Brien

Jon O'Brien
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • Other
  • Brisbane

Posted 08 February 2019 - 04:04 PM

Looks like it might be down to Jaycar to buy all the components, and a crash course in extremely basic electrical builds. No word yet on any used battery packs at Cameraquip for sale.

Visual Products

Tai Audio

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Serious Gear

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine