Photo

I feel guilty about selling a camera. Any advice?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Samuel Berger

Samuel Berger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1249 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:14 PM

Back in the Fall of 2017 I was planning to produce a film in 16mm, sometime in the Spring of 2018, so I geared up and had Bernie O'Doherty overhaul my two Eclair NPR cameras and convert them to Ultra 16. I also purchased 8 film magazines and had him overhaul them. Everything looks and works great. I had him work on lenses as well.

But, as some of you know, things didn't go as planned and the cameras are just sitting there. I spent a LOT on them.

What I'm thinking of doing is selling them. I can't see myself ever saving up the budget for that film again and I have to live in reality. The problem of course is that I will never make on them the amount I spent. So I'll be losing a LOT of money.

I don't know if I should sell them or hold on to them. If I ever do make that film, it won't be for several years. I've learned to be okay with digital instead of film because in the end, I'm not rich and I can't find financing. I'd rather be shooting digital than shooting nothing due to having no money for film.

Is there a formula for calculating whether I should sell these cameras? Ha. I might have my sister sell one on eBay to see if anyone reaches my price. But even if it sells, the loss will be substantial.

#2 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1661 posts
  • Director
  • Og from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:27 PM

Don't fall for the fallacy of sunk cost. If you can get money for them and don't imagine them appreciating significantly, sell them as soon as possible.

#3 Samuel Berger

Samuel Berger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1249 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:52 PM

Thanks Macks, it seems you're right. I know those cameras are good and will work for someone else. Just not myself due to my situation changing so dramatically.

#4 Robert Ante

Robert Ante
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Other
  • New Jersey

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:00 AM

Sam, I know how you feel. Unavoidable obstacles have put me on hold for about five years. However, ready to resume quite soon. If you prefer film, you seem to have all you need and cost would only be for feeding camera and processing. If you prefer digital, go that way. There is the cost of computer with graphic cards and programs to handle digital, plus sitting at computer starring at screen for hours (I do use digital for certain projects), so digital is not without costs.
Can you do your project one or two 100 ft rolls at a time over a longer period to make film cost less painful?. A lot of remarkable films have been made that way.

Depends on what you enjoy doing. If you do decide to sell, follow advice of above folks.

#5 Simon Wyss

Simon Wyss
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1632 posts
  • Other
  • Near Basel, Switzerland

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:58 AM

Sell ‘em. You have a wonderful Filmo. If you want to become more independent, get yourself a Filmo 70 with 400' magazine that allows you to print yourself. You run the negative spool to spool, raw stock from magazine into magazine.

Relative to all factors 35 mm is the cheapest format. A Moviola can be had for 250 to 500 Dollars today. With a pair of rewinds alone you can go through dailies on the kitchen table. CinemaScope aside, 35 mm originals can be assembled in one band, no checkerboarding needed. Stills photo films can be used in an Eyemo, De Vry, Kinamo, Konvas, Sept et al. Relative to image size and later optical soundtrack quality, most bang for the buck. And you’re treated differently by labs with 35. Screening of workprint at next cinema equipped with 35 mm projector(s)

#6 Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Other
  • Born in L.A....NYC is 2nd home...Rustbelt is home base.

Posted 11 February 2019 - 10:17 AM

OP, we all make mistakes. Art is not a precise science that runs by formula. When you work fast, as many of us do, we screw up once in a while. Just gotta suck it up if you are moving on to digital. I have kept some film cams, but I disposed of most of them. 

Good luck!

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr., 11 February 2019 - 10:18 AM.

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Serious Gear

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

CineLab

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine