145 replies to this topic

#141 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5314 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:54 AM

It's about maximizing the return on a risky investment. Basically, the most paying customers, with the minimum seepage to potentially paying customers by routes that do not add to the return on the investment. I'm cynical enough to believe that quite a few people will go for the free or a lower cost route pirated route if the option is there, rather than buying at an official price they can afford and would otherwise be prepared to pay. Nothing like those free lunches.

#142 George Ebersole

George Ebersole
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1676 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 03 September 2014 - 07:57 AM

Like I said earlier, I view it like speeding.  If the police aren't around and a lot of other people are doing it, then why not press the accelerator a little?

There actually are numbers.  I think the DOJ and MPAA have them.  How those translate to individual films, I don't know.

#143 Nicolas Courdouan

Nicolas Courdouan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Other

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:30 AM

Do you speed while driving if the police isn't there? If not, why do you assume a majority of others do? If yes, why would you complain about people who speed?

You're basically saying that you have the decency and honesty to refrain yourself from pirating audiovisual content, but that "a good few others" are lowly criminals. You have the moral high ground and the willpower to do what others can't, or rather in this case to not do what everybody else does.

I know the world can be rotten sometimes but damn, that's a healthy dose of cynicism right there. With a bit of arrogance spread on top.

#144 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:41 AM

Nicolas, I wonder if you failed to notice that George is employing irony, a quality not possessed by all his compatriots but in rich supply among Anglophones on my side of the Atlantic.

Edited by Mark Dunn, 03 September 2014 - 11:42 AM.

#145 Nicolas Courdouan

Nicolas Courdouan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Other

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:53 AM

Indeed, I perceived no irony in George's last post. I wonder if I failed to detect it, or if it simply wasn't there.

It is not the first time the "speeding" allegory is used by George to describe the behaviour of pirates in this thread.

That being said I think it is a pretty valid comparison, so the irony, if there is any, is lost on me.

#146 George Ebersole

George Ebersole
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1676 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:52 PM

Do you speed while driving if the police isn't there? If not, why do you assume a majority of others do? If yes, why would you complain about people who speed?

You're basically saying that you have the decency and honesty to refrain yourself from pirating audiovisual content, but that "a good few others" are lowly criminals. You have the moral high ground and the willpower to do what others can't, or rather in this case to not do what everybody else does.

I know the world can be rotten sometimes but damn, that's a healthy dose of cynicism right there. With a bit of arrogance spread on top.

I actually have complained.  The analogy I was making was to compare tendencies of behavior.  But the analogy falls apart because the repercussions are different.  One can end in tragedy, because it's a matter of public safety.  The other, if unchecked, possible financial ruin, but more likely a curbing of profits and income to make more product.

I've not really argued the moral aspect of theft, though I have pointed it out.  I'm arguing the practicalities of unchecked theft of intellectual property, and the economic impact thereof.

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam