31 replies to this topic

#21 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2170 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 03 August 2006 - 04:42 PM

but I think having the APEC door makes it easier to convert the camera to S16 down the road... or something along those lines, don't quote me though...

News to me, but then you are in the city of Duall, so maybe you folks have the inside track on Super 16 conversions on Arriflex 16S cameras.

At the point you are in your filmmaking career Matthew, the APEC exposure meter would not be a benefit. In fact, I can't think of anyone I know with an Arriflex 16SR who uses the APEC, and it came standard on those cameras. Visual Products removes them and replaces them with a video tap. Don't know if that conversion would work on a 16S with APEC, but maybe.

-Tim

#22 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 03 August 2006 - 04:45 PM

What exactly does it do, because I know I'm going to have a problem with exposure.

#23 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2170 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 03 August 2006 - 05:02 PM

What exactly does it do, because I know I'm going to have a problem with exposure.

On my SR it is like an automatic exposure control on the old 35mm SLR cameras. It has a light sensor that would read the light coming into the lens and stop the lens down mechanically to the proper aperture. You needed special lenses that were set up to work with it. Again, I have never met anyone who ever used it. I had the mechanical linkage removed from my Zeiss 10-100 T2 as soon as I got it.

Get yourself a light meter and a good book on cinematography, like the one David wrote. If you are going to have a problem with exposure, you are definitely in the wrong field. Cinematography is all about understanding light, with exposure being a rather large part of understanding light.

-Tim

#24 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student

Posted 03 August 2006 - 05:10 PM

Sorry, I forgot what exposure meant, I fine with it.

#25 Jan Weis

Jan Weis
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Student
  • Uppsala, Sweden

Posted 03 August 2006 - 06:56 PM

Promiss us that you will read atleast one book about cinematography before you even touch a camera, matthew.

#26 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student

Posted 03 August 2006 - 07:40 PM

I promise, unless someone says '' touch my camera or I'll tear you're head off '', can you recommend any good ones.

#27 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2170 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 03 August 2006 - 08:12 PM

I promise, unless someone says '' touch my camera or I'll tear you're head off '', can you recommend any good ones.

"Cinematography: Third Edition" by Kris Malkiewicz, M. David Mullen. That would be David Mullen ASC. A great book.

And since you are interested in buying a 16mm camera, I would also recommend "The 16mm Camera Book" by Douglas Underdahl

They're both available through Amazon.

-Tim

#28 Jan Weis

Jan Weis
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Student
  • Uppsala, Sweden

Posted 04 August 2006 - 09:22 AM

"Cinematography: Third Edition" by Kris Malkiewicz, M. David Mullen. That would be David Mullen ASC. A great book.

And since you are interested in buying a 16mm camera, I would also recommend "The 16mm Camera Book" by Douglas Underdahl

They're both available through Amazon.

-Tim

I second that, its probably one of the best books around.

#29 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student

Posted 05 August 2006 - 05:42 PM

How much does it cost ?

#30 Robert Hughes

Robert Hughes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Minneapolis

Posted 05 August 2006 - 08:23 PM

Matthew, have you noticed that the majority of your posts are financially related? This is a cinematography forum, not a bazaar. A camera costs a lot, some cost a heckuva lot. Books cost less, except when they cost more.

Go buy the Malkiewicz book, it's probably around $50. It's been standard reading in film schools for decades, so if you wanna be a cinematographer it's got the answers for questions you need to be asking.

#31 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 20159 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 August 2006 - 09:33 PM

There's also these new-fangled things called SEARCH ENGINES that allow you to search around the internet and get an idea of prices for things.

#32 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student

Posted 06 August 2006 - 06:40 AM

Matthew, have you noticed that the majority of your posts are financially related? This is a cinematography forum, not a bazaar. A camera costs a lot, some cost a heckuva lot. Books cost less, except when they cost more.

Go buy the Malkiewicz book, it's probably around $50. It's been standard reading in film schools for decades, so if you wanna be a cinematographer it's got the answers for questions you need to be asking.

OK, I'll lay off cost questions and start reading the forums that everyone else reads, find out as much as I can with the SEARCH ENGINE, that David Mullen suggested, and I'll buy a big fat book.

Sorry for being annoying :(

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

Visual Products

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio