anybody have one, used one?

#2 Oliver Christoph Kochs

Oliver Christoph Kochs
  • Sustaining Members
  • 323 posts
  • Film Loader
  • Germany

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:15 PM

Yeah! Any of them. The original Bolex anamorphic lenses came from german lens manufacturer Moeller, Wedel and are mainly 1.5 in compression. The 2x does exist but is very rare. If you want 2x compression you might want a Kowa 16H/8Z. Examples: This is the 1.5x on a S16 Bolex and here is a 2x on a Rex 4.

#3 kevin jackman

kevin jackman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 May 2011 - 12:23 AM

Isnt the kowa a projector lens? I would have thought the bolex version would fit my bolex better, have better optics, easier to use. but opinions would be greatly appreciated. I would really like to try and have the most hassle free anamorphic setup. So the 1.5 is a ratio of 1.995?

#4 Oliver Christoph Kochs

Oliver Christoph Kochs
  • Sustaining Members
  • 323 posts
  • Film Loader
  • Germany

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:58 AM

All the Moeller lenses are attachments. The Möller 2x is the same design as the Kowa 16D so i would say that they pretty much ARE projection lenses. You are correct regarding the 1,5. It creates a 1:2 aspect ratio. These lenses will not be hassle free but they do a good job for the money. Try even getting a good ISCO lens now for well under 2000 $. If you don't want anamorphic 16mm projection i would just forget about it and crop.

#5 kevin jackman

kevin jackman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:25 PM

All the Moeller lenses are attachments. The Möller 2x is the same design as the Kowa 16D so i would say that they pretty much ARE projection lenses. You are correct regarding the 1,5. It creates a 1:2 aspect ratio. These lenses will not be hassle free but they do a good job for the money. Try even getting a good ISCO lens now for well under 2000 $. If you don't want anamorphic 16mm projection i would just forget about it and crop.

I think I like the idea of the Bolex lens because it comes in a frame that screws into the c mount. Im guessing any other lens would need fabrication to build an attachment to fit to the camera. I am curious about sharpness and quality when using these lenses and I dont even know if they will work with the preset switars. There is so much I dont know!

#6 Oliver Christoph Kochs

Oliver Christoph Kochs
  • Sustaining Members
  • 323 posts
  • Film Loader
  • Germany

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:40 AM

The Moeller lenses which are the ones made for Bolex don't screw into the c-mount. They are placed loosely in front of the taking lens (Switars above 25mm) with a special holder. The original holder that screws in the remaining two lens threads is very hard to find. You can mount the anamorphic lens on rods also. There is a taking lens in the c-mount of the camera and the squeeze lens in front of that. Both lenses have to be in focus in case of the Moeller or Kowas. On other lens designs like Iscorama, Hawk or Lomo where only one lens needs focusing.

#7 kevin jackman

kevin jackman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:58 PM

Holder is the word I was looking for. I wonder what the video anamorphic lenses are like in terms of quality and sharpness. would a behind the lens anamorphic make it so focus issues arent a problem? sorry for the questions i just have no idea about this.theres a 2x anamorphot for sale, not sure if the holder is there or if i should get it. the money is sounding a bit high.

#8 Oliver Christoph Kochs

Oliver Christoph Kochs
  • Sustaining Members
  • 323 posts
  • Film Loader
  • Germany

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:19 AM

Kevin, if you want to make the first steps i recommend that you get a clean projection lens. The Rectimascope is excellent for testing, i shot some very nice film with the Rectimascope and a Arri St.

#9 kevin jackman

kevin jackman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:30 AM

the bolex lens just seems so mucheasier to use due to the holder, but to find one...

#10 Oliver Christoph Kochs

Oliver Christoph Kochs
  • Sustaining Members
  • 323 posts
  • Film Loader
  • Germany

Posted 23 May 2011 - 01:19 AM

The Bolex is not so heavy in comparison. But from a operators point of view it is the same.

#11 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1605 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:45 AM

My anamorphic 8mm set-up:

Anamorphic8mm.jpg

The 16mm anamorphic projection lens is supported by a home-made ring attached to a rod base I got with another camera (a Pentaflex 8). Same principle can be applied to 16mm cameras.

Martin Baumgarten has a good webpage describing relatively cheap anamorphic lens options for small formats:

http://lavender.fort...anamorphic.html

#12 kevin jackman

kevin jackman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 May 2011 - 01:50 AM

I think I like the bolex kit because its plug and play. It all plugs and plays together quick and easy. Its tested and true. The crappy part is that the kit I found for sale is going for 1000 euros.

#13 Ryan Dzierzek

Ryan Dzierzek

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 29 May 2011 - 12:25 PM

Is this what you looking for?

Posted Image
photo by rzek, on Flickr

#14 kevin jackman

kevin jackman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Other

Posted 30 May 2011 - 12:46 AM

Is this what you looking for?

Posted Image
photo by rzek, on Flickr

That very well could be! Is it yours and have you used it?

#15 Ryan Dzierzek

Ryan Dzierzek

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:13 AM

Yes its mine, I currently use it on OM Zuiko lenses on a Dslr (its attached to one in the photo).
There are 16mm and 8mm versions of this lens, this one is the 16mm.
Its a brilliant lens to use, produces an image thats as sharp as the taking lens.
Pm me for anymore details.

#16 kevin jackman

kevin jackman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Other

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:14 PM

PM sent

#17 john paul urizar

john paul urizar

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:44 AM

Hi

I am currently using the Bolex kit as shown above. I find it very straight forward to use on my RX5 with 13x viewfinder. I have the anamorphic matched to the 26mm f1.1 marco switar. I decided going down this path to avoid some of the problems associated with super 16 conversion. Keep look at ebay, they do pop up.

regards

john Paul Urizar

www.johnpaulurizar.com.au

#18 andrew parrish

andrew parrish
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Other
  • Vancouver, BC

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:29 PM

Here is what I'm working on. It's an Elmoscope. I have been told that it is a re-branded Kiowa, but I really don't know. I bought it at an antique shop for $30. The rail and the Support were made, mostly with my table saw ( very carefully), from $25 of aluminum and stainless from the scrap yard. It's my knock off of the Bolex "Light Bench" My father in law machined a 50.5mm to 55mm step up ring. Next is a double threaded polarizer with the glass out to allow focusing. finally, a 55mm to series VI ( or V, I can't remember). I guess my point is that with a little messing around, the thing can be done on the cheap. As it stands right know the thing weighs a ton. after I get the kinks out, I'll start shaving down the metal, change somethings to plastic and Carbon fiber.

Good luck with you Project

Andrew

Attached Images

• IMG_7440.JPG

#19 john paul urizar

john paul urizar

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:23 AM

Hello,

I have been contacted about my Bolex Anamorphot lens via email, so I have attached a few images.

Kind regards

John Paul Urizar

www.johnpaulurizar.com.au

Attached Images

• IMG_0127.jpg
  • IMG_0129.jpg
  • IMG_0132.jpg

#20 Quentin Briere Bordier

Quentin Briere Bordier

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:27 AM

Big up!

I'm shooting in 16mm with my bolex for a while now but I just discover anamorphot lensand it really looks beautiful...

So right now I can't live more without testing anamorphot sensations!

Do you know where I can provide any Anamorphot setup for my camera? If anyone reading this topic sell some feel free to get in touch... :)

Is the projection lens solution a really good solution? I guess it's cheaper but what about the quality?

Thanks for helping.

Q.

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

Technodolly

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab