Photo

can diopters far and close focus charts be generalized for the same focal lenght but different sets of lenses?

diopters charts

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 davide sorasio

davide sorasio
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Student
  • New York

Posted 18 July 2017 - 03:40 PM

Hello everyone, maybe this is a silly question but it has been in my head for a while.

Once I have a close and far focus chart for a certain focal lenght, could it be used for the same focal lenght of another set of lenses that have the same T-stop when wide open? For example, shooting at the same settings on the same camera with a 75mm Master prime using a diopter +1 would give me the same far and close focus if switching to another lens with the same wide open T stop?

and if not, which are the factors that influence close and far focus on diopters except from the diopter's gradation?

Thanks in advance

#2 Kar Wai Ng

Kar Wai Ng
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Toronto, Canada

Posted 19 July 2017 - 02:06 AM

If the other lens is a 75mm Master Prime, then you would have the same near and far focus point; with another make of lens like a Cooke 75mm, however, you would have slightly different results because the entrance pupil is different. I don't think it would be dramatically different. A +1 diopter would still put your infinity at 1 meter in front of the diopter, theoretically.

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam