#121 Jon O'Brien

Jon O'Brien
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Other
  • Brisbane

Posted 28 October 2018 - 09:07 PM

Digital cameras are great and necessary technology but a musical comparison to film is they're a bit like listening to a keyboard synthesizer playing Bach's solo sonatas and partitas on violin. Very impressive but just not the same and missing that earthiness and at the same time some spirit too that mysteriously seems to inhabit that simple wooden box. Same thing with a film compartment, where that little flickering image resides when the motor runs. Film cameras speak when they film, as if saying, okay I'm now doing my thing, pay attention as this all costs money.

#122 Lee Mannering

Lee Mannering
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • United Kingdom

Posted 29 October 2018 - 06:34 AM

Looking back at the first post.  I've used quite a but of Fomapan this year in that Standard 8 Leicina and the results were nice in black and white. Back in the 90's I was shooting a drama film with out of date Super 8 Svema OCh-50 at a cost of around £8 then seeking to get a patchy look to the image which worked really well for a drug induced dream sequence. I'm guessing that old stock would still deliver similar results today as well for anyone looking for a Nosferatu sort of look. There's nothing quite like creating a super 8 film, cutting it, adding a sound track and projecting the finished article on a white screen in the dark. I didn't have a Lecina Special back then but I did loan one for the filming taking place over a couple of months immediately falling in love with it and some years later obtaining my own.

Super 8 awareness seemed to come out of the doldrums with the release of the feature film bearing the same name enjoying its second coming although for me I've not really put a 8mm camera down since the late 60's. 

It sure has been fun...

#123 Alessandro Malfatti

Alessandro Malfatti
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Other
  • Barcelona, Spain

Posted 01 November 2018 - 06:01 PM

The cost of Super8? You wanna know about the cost of Super8? Well lemme tell you somethin'. The bill just arrived for my latest lab order at Andec. Developing of 8 cartridges of neg, plus 2 of b/w, and HD telecine. Cost me no less than 566,20€. And that's only lab costs, it doesn't even include film stock. This is getting expensive as hell. If I don't find me a better job I can forget about keeping up the ritzy lifestyle.

#124 Lee Mannering

Lee Mannering
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • United Kingdom

Posted 02 November 2018 - 03:25 AM

It can spiral if you let it.  In the 70's 8mm was looked on as the poor mans film gauge in some cine clubs (film making groups) particularly by the 16mm big guns in the UK. However, once the high end cameras arrived with quality lenses from the likes of Nizo and Leicina things changed somewhat along with Super 8 sound projectors equipped with good lighting and German f1 lenses. Some of my documentaries and dramas filmed with those cameras on Kodachrome still look gorgeous when projected, sadly Kodachome is gone and todays younger generation are missing the yellow box of K40 at £13 including processing then waiting a week for that yellow packet to fly thru the letter box. Golden memories...

#125 Aaron Razi

Aaron Razi
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Director
  • Tri-State Area

Posted 02 November 2018 - 01:36 PM

Quick Question: I know labs like Cinelab have discounts for developing in bulk ( like 8 cartridges). However, is there any financial advantage in waiting to send off a roll, so I could ship 2 or 3 cartridges together? Being from a younger generation, I'm cursed with growing up in a world of instant gratification, and I get to be impatient about this sort of thing. So, if I'm only shooting 1 at a time, is it worth waiting to send off some of my rolls? Thanks. 

#126 Martin Baumgarten

Martin Baumgarten
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Plattsburgh, New York U.S.A.

Posted 02 November 2018 - 01:46 PM

If you use the same care that you exercise in filming, editing, and handling of Super 8mm, THEN you could also process the film yourself and save a significant amount.  Granted, it may not be for everyone, but back at the tender age of 13 I realized that I could save tons by processing my own still films, and shortly after movie films (Kodachrome notwithstanding of course).  The cost of the equipment needed will be rapidly returned to you over the first several rolls of film you process.  At the moment, there isn't much to be done about the high cost of film, since this is sort of a niche market and we're glad just to have film available.  Figure a cost of $5 per roll to process it yourself (slightly more or less depending on B&W or Color Reversal or Color Neg), and your own labor.....you will be way ahead financially.  The other cost you'll be saving also is the postage costs back and forth, which add up rapidly, especially for small orders!

I suppose it's a good thing that not everyone does this or we'd risk losing the few labs left supporting the film processing industry.  However, I'm sure they will continue to have their 8mm, 16mm and 35mm customers.    I'm hoping for bulk film to be released eventually in Double Super 8mm, which can then be slit down to Super 8mm and self loaded in a variety of cartridges, both Super 8mm and Single-8 ones.  It may be some time before this pleasantry happens, but it is a possibility especially once 16mm film goes into production, via a Special Order option with KODAK.

Lastly, there is still tons of expired film out there in the hands of many an enthusiast.  The frozen stocks would fare better of course, but I see lots on eBay all the time, and have bought quite a bit of it myself to experiment with.  Sadly, some sellers think that their closet stored 30+ year old Super 8mm filmstock is worth a small fortune, what with the increased interest in this gauge.  You can always make them an offer, if allowed.   And most of these films can be self processed as well.  There are various methods available to process your own film, so it doesn't have to be expensive if you can't afford the sometimes pricey LOMO tanks.

#127 David Peterson

David Peterson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Auckland, New Zealand.

Posted 02 November 2018 - 07:48 PM

Can you share more about how you can do affordable DIY development and digital scanning of Super 8mm film?

#128 Aaron Razi

Aaron Razi
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Director
  • Tri-State Area

Posted 02 November 2018 - 08:53 PM

I would second that opinion, but perhaps make a new thread so we can delve into specifics without derailing this topic. 

#129 Luigi Castellitto

Luigi Castellitto
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Campobasso (Italy)

Posted 05 November 2018 - 02:35 PM

Taking into account what Martin says, there are also excellent expired films that still give good results.
I wanted to ask at Lee: I'm always tempted to take the Soviet films (not the DDR) like the Svema OCh-50 you mention. But I knew that they had a proprietary development, and I know only osome laboratories that want to develop them. Do you know about Svema (or similar Soviets) that can be developed in E6 or some other easy way? The same goes for the black and white Soviets.

#130 Lee Mannering

Lee Mannering
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • United Kingdom

Posted 07 November 2018 - 09:06 AM

Long time ago using the film stock Svema OCh-50 but I seem to remember it was a 12 step processing it from 1st B&W developer to drying. Fortunate many of these out of date films are still around to try out and see what we get back. It looks like the old silent films as I say very Nosferatu and ideal for my project back then.

#131 Luigi Castellitto

Luigi Castellitto
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Campobasso (Italy)

Posted 08 November 2018 - 02:56 AM

Thanks, Lee. It's true, many expired particoulars film are in ebay at similar. The time or the different emulsion type make them have characteristics for certain projects.

I invite those who use films from the Easter Bloc, Svema, Tasma, etc., to post impressions (even laboratories where they can develop them, results ...) I would be interested. :)
Also in the forum section film stocks and processing. :)

Edited by Luigi Castellitto, 08 November 2018 - 02:57 AM.

#132 Aaron Razi

Aaron Razi
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Director
  • Tri-State Area

Posted 22 November 2018 - 02:08 PM

Any word on the release of Kodak's new Super 8 camera? I'm quite interested in it, and I'm hoping it will be released by Christmas, but I have no idea. I've also heard widely varying reports of the cost (anywhere between ($400-$2000). If it's anything near the latter, that is deeply disappointing. 

[Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but I figured we had discussed this earlier, and this is too small to start a new thread.]

#133 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2126 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 26 November 2018 - 10:49 AM

Any word on the release of Kodak's new Super 8 camera? I'm quite interested in it, and I'm hoping it will be released by Christmas, but I have no idea. I've also heard widely varying reports of the cost (anywhere between ($400-$2000). If it's anything near the latter, that is deeply disappointing. 

[Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but I figured we had discussed this earlier, and this is too small to start a new thread.]

It will be expensive. I would expect it to be at least $1600, probably more. But honestly, if they can make it sturdy and reliable it's not an unreasonable price for what they are doing and all the work that has gone into it, it's just wouldn't make financial sense to us die-hard users when top of the line Super 8 cameras can still be had for $500 or so...cheap ones for $10.

They'll be going after a different crowd than us probably. However, throwing on my f1.2 6-90 Angenieux lens from my Beaulieu 4008 zm II anniversary edition might be fun. Although without an optical viewfinder I'm not sure how focus will work.

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

CineLab

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine