26 replies to this topic

#21 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 20352 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 March 2007 - 10:52 PM

Maybe they have an Arri-S you can borrow... Or get the lab to transfer the film to cores (at a price). Or just buy some short ends on cores instead of new 100' spools.

I don't know if you can use daylight spools in the Aaton.

I think you'd have to wind the daylight spool off onto a core on a rewind bench in a darkroom -- and then wind it again back into another core to get the wind correct. Your rental house may have a darkroom with rewind benches. Worst thing that could happen is probably some dust, but it won't matter for a test on graininess.

#22 Dan Salzmann

Dan Salzmann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1143 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Paris, France

Posted 22 March 2007 - 03:51 AM

If you are going to shoot super16 then your tests should be on super16 preferrably with the same lens type.
I think it is also important to take the test all the way to the DI, print and projection phase in order to really be able to judge your end result.
Every step in the chain adds it's own quirks- contrast differences, changes in sharpness, eventual artifacts, etc.
Talk to your lab and post facilities. If you are bringing them a feature they should be receptive.

#23 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 20352 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:21 AM

Yes, I agree. At least he should drop the 100' daylight spools and get some short ends -- he probably could get 200' of stock for the cost of a 100' fresh daylight spool.

Or just buy 400' fresh rolls, use part, save the rest for later. Sometimes a rep from Kodak or Fuji will even give me a free 400' roll for a test.

#24 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2171 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:07 AM

OK, I've arranged it so we can use the camera for a few hours and shoot a few interior and exterior test shots. But because of the budget issue, I can only purchase 100' daylight loads of 7218 and 7279 for the test. And the camera is an Aaton XTR Plus, which obviously only takes 400' loads on a core in the magazine. So (and this might be a really dumb question, but I don't want to make any mistakes with only one shot at it)--is there a "safe" or feasible way of getting the stock off the 100' reel and onto a core--in the changing bag, but precisely how? As it's single perf, can it be wound properly from the daylight load onto a core without damaging the stock and keeping the wind the right way? I just can't seem to visualize it.

Thanks again.

David Cavallo,

Are you sure the Aaton XTR Plus won't take a 100 ft daylight spool? The reason I ask is that I never thought my Aaton LTR would take a 100 ft daylight spool. Then I asked around, and sure enough, it does. On both my magazines (in the M2600 range) the core on the feed side of the magazine is removable by taking out a small screw in the side of the core. It slides off, and the 100 ft daylight spool slides onto the exposed shaft. There is a little knurled head screw inside the feed side of the magazine that you take out and screw into the top of the shaft that holds the daylight spool, keeping the spool from coming off.

Don't know if the magazines you are renting are the same, but it sure would be worth looking in to since it would be one heck of a lot easier than trying to re-spool the film before your test.

-Tim

#25 David Cavallo

David Cavallo
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:18 AM

David Cavallo,

Are you sure the Aaton XTR Plus won't take a 100 ft daylight spool? The reason I ask is that I never thought my Aaton LTR would take a 100 ft daylight spool. Then I asked around, and sure enough, it does. On both my magazines (in the M2600 range) the core on the feed side of the magazine is removable by taking out a small screw in the side of the core. It slides off, and the 100 ft daylight spool slides onto the exposed shaft. There is a little knurled head screw inside the feed side of the magazine that you take out and screw into the top of the shaft that holds the daylight spool, keeping the spool from coming off.

Don't know if the magazines you are renting are the same, but it sure would be worth looking in to since it would be one heck of a lot easier than trying to re-spool the film before your test.

-Tim

Tim,

I'm not sure--I've just never read anything in the XTR manual or anywhere online that said it can be done. But if you're correct it will be tremendously helpful. Respooling film seems truly impractical.

I'll look into it today.

Thank you,
David

#26 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2171 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 22 March 2007 - 10:48 AM

Tim,

I'm not sure--I've just never read anything in the XTR manual or anywhere online that said it can be done. But if you're correct it will be tremendously helpful. Respooling film seems truly impractical.

I'll look into it today.

Thank you,
David

David,

A quick pictorial of what to look for in the mag.

Posted Image

Hopefully your mags will be the same.

-Tim

#27 David Cavallo

David Cavallo
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 22 March 2007 - 10:56 AM

David,

A quick pictorial of what to look for in the mag.

Posted Image

Hopefully your mags will be the same.

-Tim

Wow, I really can't thank you enough for this, Tim! I believe those are exactly what the mags look like (I've worked as an AC with the camera a few times) and your diagram is incredibly clear.

I believe you've saved me a tremendous hassle.

Many thanks!

-David

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab