#21 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 28 October 2015 - 01:28 AM

But Richard, you're our insufferable bore. (and if Phil gets into a cage death match with you over the IB title, that would actually be pretty awesome. Neither insufferable, nor boring)

I got my first LA job (after my other first LA jobs of doing camera prep for a reality show, and interviewing Ed Asner). I am gaffing a low budget film in a couple of weeks, and looking forward to new challenges.

It is quite interesting, the differences between LA and Alaska.  Over the last decade I have worked with mostly LA and NYC crews in Alaska and New Mexico, so the culture and workflow is familiar.  There are two main differences I see.  #1- everything is available, whenever you want it, and it can be delivered cheaply and on a moments notice.  That is quite nice.  #2- although Alaska wasn't quite bereft of regulation, there are necisarrily more rules in a major metropolitain.  So I have to figure out how to do what I have always done, within a more stringent regulatory environment.  Not a bad thing or an undue burden since I never cut corners on safety.  But now it seems the opportunity to *cough* and do something in the grey area is a bit more limited.

It will be fun to explore the lay of the land, and to quote Dr. Strangelove, I am filled with a spirit of bold curiosity for the adventure ahead!

(also I hate parking in LA.  I stay sheltered in Burbank as often as is practical)

#22 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7409 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 28 October 2015 - 01:49 AM

Parking here is still substantially better than It is back east.

And though late to this congratulations, Welcome to the city. I was just out in Burbank-- had I actually been properly active on here I'd've said let's get a pint!

If you get a chance, head up to Mount Wilson, when you need a head-clear and perspective on LA.

#23 Reed Bovee

Reed Bovee
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2016 - 05:03 PM

I did get a patent on the voltmeter, so I can always claim that I suppose.

I am very interested in your voltmeter. Could you please provide more info such as the patent number?

Thank you. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: moved to LA

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly

Visual Products

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

CineTape

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery