#41 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1862 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 27 May 2017 - 08:46 AM

I did a pretty in-depth tutorial on servicing a IIC on my cinetinker site, not sure what more anyone would want to know. The service manual doesn't tell you much more, in some cases it tells you less.

I chose a photo and text format because I think it's much easier to follow than a video where you have to hunt around for the bit you want to watch or listen to.

There's always a limit to how much you can pass on because it requires a certain base knowledge and experience in mechanics, and often specific tools and jigs that a lay person won't have access to. But the Arriflex II cameras are fairly simple, even if they have very fine tolerances. Most assemblies are pinned, rather than adjustable like on all later Arriflex models, so that makes it easier for non-technicians. If the camera hasn't been contaminated, a basic clean and lubrication can be done without much disassembly. You'd just need a soft brush, some good screwdrivers, cotton buds and maybe some isopropyl alcohol along with the specified lubricants (which are listed on my site).

For a more thorough overhaul you really start to need some of the many, many tools and instuments a camera tech would own, starting with a depth gauge with 52.00mm cylinder and backing plate to measure the flange depth, and ideally a collimator to measure optical distances that can't be physically measured like the ground glass depth reflected off the mirror. Because things are pinned the settings are likely to remain in place when reassembled, but it only takes a hair to get caught or a slight misalignment to throw things off. And of course if a camera is not right in the first place, it will need adjustment or repair. Which usually requires not just tools but experience.

#42 James Jeffrey Cotter

James Jeffrey Cotter
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • United States

Posted 15 September 2017 - 04:34 PM

I love it when folks say the BL can be used on the shoulder, yes when you are young, but I swear it has gained so much weight I cant barely put it on the tripod now. If I was to have to pick a single film camera I would get a BL4, I sold mine and have a single BL left but I prefer the BL4. I have 35IIC and 35-3 and I must say the 35-3 is nicer, but even so if I had to be limited to 2 cameras I would go with a 35-IIC and a BL4. Avoid the 35-IIA unless you want it for historic reasons.

I have to say Dom has done a fantastic essay on the care and cleaning of the 35-II that everyone that wants one or owns one should review.

Edited by James Jeffrey Cotter, 15 September 2017 - 04:39 PM.

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Abel Cine

CineLab

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS