I sold a bunch of gear and picked up an EV aka Classic.
A few notes
- It's heavy. 17 lbs, Almost 20 lbs just with the EVF.
- With a prime, 15mm rods, baseplate, follow focus, matte box, battery and Odyssey you are headed for 30-40 lbs, plus the head and sticks.
- It sucks down batteries (85w).
- You need heavy duty cinema grade support gear like a heavy duty head and sticks.
- External RAW recorder to get the most out of the camera (Odyssey 7Q+ with ArriRAW license)
- No internal ND. Arri sells the IFM-1 (Internal filter module), but its about $2000 for the hardware and 3 x ND / 1 x clear. You need really high quality ND that won't shift color etc. and they aren't cheap.
- The Alexa is bullet proof, but repair costs are astronomical.
Still the gold standard for IQ. The first time you point it at a window and see that film like roll off in the highlights you'll be spoiled for all other cameras.
I was lucky to have things like a heavy duty tripod and head from my film days, but if you are starting from scratch you really need to make a list and see how it all fits in your budget.