#21 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1312 posts
  • Director
  • Og from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:26 PM

I'm also a bit open-ended with A-cams and think it's cool when an unexpected one is used. However, gopros?, it at least has to have interchangeable lenses.

#22 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7324 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:04 PM

found footage styled feature-- but given the premise of the script (reality survivor man type tv host surviving zombies) actually made some sort of sense.

Also i think the sony a7s would overheat substantially more than a pocket.

As for anamorphic, you'll need to find a 4x3 sensor camera to use 2x anamorphic lenses. A F3 won't allow you to do that; though you could use 1.3X lenses, they generally don't have the same anamorphic feeling as a 2x does.

I think some of the GH series offer a 4x3 mode in the vDSLR world; but I'm not positive on that.

#23 Jon O'Brien

Jon O'Brien
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Other
  • Brisbane

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:41 PM

Would like to make a zombie film  :) Or a vampire film with lots of candles but that might need a low light camera.

Yes, maybe a full size sensor has a lot of advantages over 4x3 or Super 35. The a7s can I think change between full-size and Super 35. The answer to all this is, as often said, there's no one camera for everything.

#24 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4020 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 August 2017 - 03:23 AM

Would like to make a zombie film  :) Or a vampire film with lots of candles but that might need a low light camera.

Then what you get is candles that look super over-exposed because the dynamic range of super sensitive cameras is generally weak at the higher ISO's.

If Kubrick shot Barry Lyndon without high speed stock, we can do the same. Fast glass, fast "enough" camera and you're fine. I've shot with my pocket camera in near pitch black situations and it comes out fine.

Yes, maybe a full size sensor has a lot of advantages over 4x3 or Super 35. The a7s can I think change between full-size and Super 35. The answer to all this is, as often said, there's no one camera for everything.

I don't like swiss army knife cameras, that try to be everything to everyone, the A7SII is a great example of that. I actually just used one today on a shoot and ya know what, totally dissatisfied. I was just playing around with it, but making it look good was like nearly impossible, both in still and video mode. I couldn't get any warmth out of the image, I also found the auto focus almost too sensitive and had to set focus manually which bothered me quite a bit. I wasn't happy with the display that can come out all sorts of odd angles, I got it caught on a few things just carrying it around. The controls are OK I guess, the mode knob works nicely, so does the power and separate video record mode. But yet again, the camera does so much, it has so much going on, it's almost too much ya know? If I go out and shoot video, I want a video camera... I will take stills with my iPhone. If I'm out shooting stills, I always have my iPhone to capture video. I don't need both ever and what kills me is how many manufacturers to this day, haven't gone the blackmagic route and said fuck it, lets just make a video camera because there is a HUGE market for it. Sony and Panasonic still both make hybrids and it's a real shame. The A7SII and GH4/GH5 are all "still" cameras first, with the "option" to shoot video. They function like a still camera, not a video camera. Where the pocket camera functions like a video camera straight up, it's got nothing else but video on it's mind. Ohh and sure, you can make a video camera take "screen grabs" from your imager and store them as JPEG's. So theoretically, any video camera could capture stills without the manufacturers necessarily focusing on the still aspects first.

The whole imager thing is a nightmare because very few non-professional cameras use the full imager for video anyway. So it's kind of a moot point until you take that out of the equation. The pocket uses the full imager, but it maybe the only one. Not sure the answer on that one, it's just a guess.

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery

CineTape

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera