#1 Matt Thomas

Matt Thomas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Other
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana

Posted 28 December 2017 - 02:12 PM

I've heard the term, "every frame a painting" before but damn! Screen grabs from this season could be hung in museums without anyone noticing. 

If anyone has any information on production please share it!

#2 Landon D. Parks

Landon D. Parks
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1920 posts
  • Producer
  • West Chester Township, Ohio

Posted 28 December 2017 - 02:24 PM

I have not yet seen 'The Crown', but given that its from Netflix - it's probably a good series. As for how it looks - the cinematography is okay, but it also feels somewhat soap-operishly flat to me. Maybe its just the fact that the look never seems to change under any circumstances. I personally like cinematography that switches up a bit where appropriate - and the problem here is that all the light setups appear the same.

I know that seems like I'm nitpicking it, and maybe I am... But it still looks good, maybe even great in a few cases - but it just feels someone flat to me. Maybe once I get around to watching the series I can judge from something other than the trailer, and change my mind.

Edited by Landon D. Parks, 28 December 2017 - 02:26 PM.

#3 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7485 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 28 December 2017 - 02:29 PM

I've heard the term, "every frame a painting" before but damn! Screen grabs from this season could be hung in museums without anyone noticing. 

It's certainly no Barry Lyndon. I dunno, it looks fine, I suppose, but it's rather, "here it is," as Landon mentions, it feels very static, like a larger  budget, sharpening turned down version, of days of our lives, in real locations.

#4 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3395 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 December 2017 - 02:41 PM

I have not yet seen 'The Crown', but given that its from Netflix - it's probably a good series. As for how it looks - the cinematography is okay, but it also feels somewhat soap-operishly flat to me. Maybe its just the fact that the look never seems to change under any circumstances.

It's hard to see how you can draw that conclusion from a 2 minute trailer for a show you haven't watched.

The show is characterized by low key, hazed interiors. Lots of mixed color temps. Large soft sources, with rich shadows. In other words, the polar opposite of a soap opera.

There are parts of it which are set in Africa, which has a very different look photographically than Pre-war London. Other parts are set onboard the Royal yacht, and have an almost Kodachrome look to them.

Photographically, i think the show is beautiful. They have worked hard to create different looks, and stuck by them. Season 2 has evolved even further in its depiction of post-war London.

#5 Landon D. Parks

Landon D. Parks
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1920 posts
  • Producer

Posted 28 December 2017 - 03:04 PM

It's hard to see how you can draw that conclusion from a 2 minute trailer for a show you haven't watched.

Exactly, which is why I made that known here "Maybe once I get around to watching the series I can judge from something other than the trailer, and change my mind."

There is just something about what I see in the trailer that just doesn't pop out to me.

#6 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 20240 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 December 2017 - 03:04 PM

Its a pretty dark and moody show, I dont know how anyone could think it is flat...

#7 Landon D. Parks

Landon D. Parks
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1920 posts
  • Producer

Posted 28 December 2017 - 03:20 PM

I don't mean to say it looks bad, it just doesn't stick out as particular impressive to me. Perhaps 'flat' was the wrong word to use. It looks average, much like other similar drama series. They all seem to be overly heavy on the HBM filters, warmly-lit, teal-orange graded, and very conservative camera angles. Then again, I never was a fan of the 'dramatic' cinematography look. For something to be impressive to me, it needs to do something out of the ordinary, which I why I said it looks good, but not impressive.

Perhaps I'll regret my words once I see the show. The trailer itself doesn't show much variation. 

Edited by Landon D. Parks, 28 December 2017 - 03:20 PM.

#8 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2388 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 28 December 2017 - 10:09 PM

And ..drum roll.. Tyler and Sam.. its shot with an F55... so at least there is one DP in the world who can defeat Sony's strange in built self sabotage codec and sensor.. :).  

#9 Samuel Berger

Samuel Berger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1220 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 28 December 2017 - 10:36 PM

And ..drum roll.. Tyler and Sam.. its shot with an F55... so at least there is one DP in the world who can defeat Sony's strange in built self sabotage codec and sensor.. :).  

When you put our names together I feel like I should be in 1973 with Philip Glenister yelling in my face.

F55, is that like an old FS7?

#10 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3395 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 December 2017 - 10:42 PM

Robin, it's obvious that they spent most of the $150m budget on a superstar colorist who was able to 'save' the show. Thank god!

#11 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2388 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 28 December 2017 - 10:59 PM

Sam.. yes pretty much an old fs7.. :)..  yeah who ever did post on that show must be driving a Ferrari .. got rid of the green somehow.. saved their arses after they chose a very sub par camera.. and then they did it again for S2.. idiots.. when the new Ursa is available.. personally I cant see why they didn't go with the pocket.. fools..

#12 Samuel Berger

Samuel Berger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1220 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:01 PM

Sam.. yes pretty much an old fs7.. :)..  yeah who ever did post on that show must be driving a Ferrari .. got rid of the green somehow.. saved their arses after they chose a very sub par camera.. and then they did it again for S2.. idiots.. when the new Ursa is available.. personally I cant see why they didn't go with the pocket.. fools..

So the FS7 is a newer model of the F55. Interesting. I'm glad they took the green out of it. Does the FS7 also have a hue issue?

#13 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2388 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:11 PM

So the FS7 is a newer model of the F55. Interesting. I'm glad they took the green out of it. Does the FS7 also have a hue issue?

The fs7 like the new Venice .. has a special electronic "Tokyo Green" filter, that actually forms part of the sensor itself.. its organic and derived from Wakame.. seaweed to you guys.. Cant say much as I was part of the team and its taken 10 years to get to this stage.. alot of priority software stuff going on..growing the sea weed in hidden bunkers deep beneath Tokyo.. obviously legally I cant give much away here.. but we are of course really excited with whats happening..I will give up dates when possible.. 

#14 Samuel Berger

Samuel Berger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1220 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:15 PM

The fs7 like the new Venice .. has a special electronic "Tokyo Green" filter, that actually forms part of the sensor itself.. its organic and derived from Wakame.. seaweed to you guys.. Cant say much as I was part of the team and its taken 10 years to get to this stage.. alot of priority software stuff going on..growing the sea weed in hidden bunkers deep beneath Tokyo.. obviously legally I cant give much away here.. but we are of course really excited with whats happening..I will give up dates when possible.. 

Un. Naruhodo.

#15 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3395 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:30 PM

The fs7 like the new Venice .. has a special electronic "Tokyo Green" filter, that actually forms part of the sensor itself.. i

As a long time F55 user, I hope the original 'Osaka Green' will still be available as an option. i don't like it when a manufacturer restricts my color palette.

#16 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2388 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 29 December 2017 - 12:31 AM

Stuart.. I pressed hard to keep the legacy Osaka Green.. as a result it will be available as a $50,000 option.. the Sony heritage is based on the Osaka Green and I did incorporate some aspects into the new sensor.. cant give details obviously .. but rest assured I will bring up your concerns with the board..

#17 Samuel Berger

Samuel Berger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1220 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 29 December 2017 - 12:45 AM

I'm not sure I got a straight answer, but is the FS7 really the new F55? I'm imagining someone googling this and finding this forum. Then, they'll think it's easier to get a usable image from a Sony than to get a legitimate answer to that question. ;-)

#18 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3395 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 29 December 2017 - 12:58 AM

No Samuel, the FS7 is not the new F55, but I assume you already knew that.

#19 Samuel Berger

Samuel Berger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1220 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 29 December 2017 - 01:01 AM

No Samuel, the FS7 is not the new F55, but I assume you already knew that.

I'm grateful for the answer, but there's no need to be suspicious. I mean, how on Earth would I know that? If you ever read my posts you'll know that I know nothing, NOTHING. I know nothing, I see nothing, I didn't even get up this morning.

Is anyone willing to post the difference between the two?

Edited by Samuel Berger, 29 December 2017 - 01:01 AM.

#20 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3395 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 29 December 2017 - 01:02 AM

Stuart.. I pressed hard to keep the legacy Osaka Green.. as a result it will be available as a $50,000 option.. the Sony heritage is based on the Osaka Green and I did incorporate some aspects into the new sensor.. cant give details obviously .. but rest assured I will bring up your concerns with the board..

Thanks Robin, after all, how will people know it's digital if it's not green??

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies