• 82 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Toronto

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:11 PM

get this

https://www.genustec...-system-special

the top of this adapter will screw into the eclair's 3/8 threaded hole

the bottom can attach to the arri baseplate

the rods you can see adjust up/down, and the plate supporting the camera will adjust left/right

#22 Gregg MacPherson

Gregg MacPherson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1975 posts
  • Other
  • New Zealand

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:05 PM

You need to be sure that you can get the rod positions that you want.  Adding a spacer between the camera and base plate may make that a lot harder.  The riser with adjustable 15mm LW rods that Kyryll points to will not place the rods at the right height.  Good to aim for standard rod positions.  

Measuring the distance from the lens axis to the camera base would be useful.  I'll attach this drawing of an ACL 2 with rod positions shown.  I marked where I think the 1.5 base is in there,  but I'm not sure.  Also will give a URL for the O'Connor drawing on rod positions.

There may be a way of solving your problem just by using or adapting existing things,  which is why I suggested talking to someone with  AC experience.

http://www.ocon.com/...ards-explained/

Attached File  ACL rod positions.pdf   12.6KB   11 downloads

To tell the truth I'm still not sure what you really need.  I'm not sure if the thinking process is right.  Shifting the issue of rod position down stream in the process,  solving that later may make more work.

Edited by Gregg MacPherson, 19 April 2017 - 05:12 PM.

#23 Gregg MacPherson

Gregg MacPherson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1975 posts
  • Other
  • New Zealand

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:15 PM

sorry,  I meant a spacer between the camera and the bridge plate.

#24 Gregg MacPherson

Gregg MacPherson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1975 posts
  • Other
  • New Zealand

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:11 AM

Adding some thoughts.  If one started with what we might want to achieve.  Lets say that we want rods in a standard position relative to the lens axis.  Lets assume you want to use the school equipment as much as possible.  It may be 19mm or 15mm studio rods,  so guess for now 19mm rods.  Lets use whatever information we have and stack it up to see what may fit..

107mm vertical distance from lens axis to acl 1.5 base..?  (Carl can measure that and correct me.  I can help with some ideas on how to measure that)
120mm standard vertical distance from lens axis to 19mm rod centre.
110.5mm standard vertical distance from 19mm rod upper exterior  to lens axis.
3.5mm vertical distance from ACL base to to top of 19mm rod.  The bridge plate casting may may provide this,  so you may be close on the height,  without an adaper plate/riser.

So there may not be room for a riser plate,  unless you can accept a displaced set of rods. The other issue is the sideways displacement from lens axis to the 3/8" tread in the camera base.  Assuming no riser plate,  you probably will need to add a new hole to the bridge plate,  which you can't really do with the school bridge plate.  Maybe that Camtree one I pointed to.  I can see a good place there for an added hole.

#25 Carl Nenzen Loven

Carl Nenzen Loven
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Student
  • San Francisco

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:11 AM

Adding some thoughts.  If one started with what we might want to achieve.  Lets say that we want rods in a standard position relative to the lens axis.  Lets assume you want to use the school equipment as much as possible.  It may be 19mm or 15mm studio rods,  so guess for now 19mm rods.  Lets use whatever information we have and stack it up to see what may fit..

107mm vertical distance from lens axis to acl 1.5 base..?  (Carl can measure that and correct me.  I can help with some ideas on how to measure that)
120mm standard vertical distance from lens axis to 19mm rod centre.
110.5mm standard vertical distance from 19mm rod upper exterior  to lens axis.
3.5mm vertical distance from ACL base to to top of 19mm rod.  The bridge plate casting may may provide this,  so you may be close on the height,  without an adaper plate/riser.

So there may not be room for a riser plate,  unless you can accept a displaced set of rods. The other issue is the sideways displacement from lens axis to the 3/8" tread in the camera base.  Assuming no riser plate,  you probably will need to add a new hole to the bridge plate,  which you can't really do with the school bridge plate.  Maybe that Camtree one I pointed to.  I can see a good place there for an added hole.

What I have decided to do is to repurpose the rod-base that I bought from Les Bosher and just make it fit more snug to my Eclair.

Then drill another hole so I can fit it on the plate that goes onto the dovetail. I am looking for a smooth way to move inbetween different mounts (dolly, tripod, stedicam) rather than worried about how to make the rods align up perfectly.

C

Abel Cine

Technodolly

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera