Nicholas Johnson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 07 November 2018 - 04:54 AM

Hello everyone, If this has been covered in a previous post please link, I was unable to find much on a few cursory searches.

I am requesting advice or suggestions for a good lab who I can send Super 8 cartridges to for processing, telecine, and most importantly good quality post and colour grading.

I am based in the UK (London). Normally I rely on someone local who hand-process the film and does all the post for me. I have always been very happy with his work, but I'm interested to see what kind of results I can get from a 'lab'.

I am aware of Andec in Berlin ( andecfilm.de ) and the S8 Reversal Lab in the Netherlands ( super8.nl ). Though I have no experience with their service or even if they provide a Grading/Post service.

Anyway, I am requesting suggestions, based on experience, of good labs. I'm happy to ship internationally NY, LA etc. for good results. Ideally it would stay EU though.

Keep in mind, I am not seeking cinematic quality, for me the decision to use Super8 has always been a point a shoot, in camera, portable film format, so I am not seeking perfection.

My main concern is over levels of noise and uneven exposures which I feel might be remedied with a higher quality transfer and greater attention to detail in the grading process (never mind my lack of attention to these details during the filming).

I sincerely appreciate your advice, suggestions and shared knowledge.

All the best

Edited by Nicholas Johnson, 07 November 2018 - 04:55 AM.

#2 Pavan Deep

Pavan Deep
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • UK

Posted 07 November 2018 - 06:05 AM

Have you tried Cinelab London in Slough or the Kodak Lab in Pinewood.

Pav

#3 Nicholas Johnson

Nicholas Johnson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 07 November 2018 - 06:48 AM

Thanks Pavan, have you had any experience with either of these labs? How did their Super 8 scans and colour grading look in your opinion?

#4 Pavan Deep

Pavan Deep
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • UK

Posted 07 November 2018 - 01:33 PM

Yes I have used both labs for 16mm not Super 8 and they are excellent, I know they do Super 8, their service and scans are excellent. There's another company in London [I think] 'on 8mil' google them they have samples online.

Pav

#5 Nicholas Johnson

Nicholas Johnson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 08 November 2018 - 04:48 AM

Thanks Pavan

#6 Aaron Razi

Aaron Razi
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Director
  • Tri-State Area

Posted 19 November 2018 - 08:42 AM

I've heard of Gauge Film, although I've never used them personally. The results I've seen online look pretty good though! 

#7 Nick Collingwood

Nick Collingwood
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York, NY

Posted 21 November 2018 - 05:49 PM

I am US based but always hear pretty solid things about both Andec and Reversal Lab. I'd say in the EU, the scan lab I hear the highest quality about is Ocho y Pico in Spain. TOP TOP notch scans. I'd say go for them. 2K scans at least. I believe OyP does color grading as well.

#8 Nicholas Johnson

Nicholas Johnson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 28 November 2018 - 05:17 AM

Hi Nick, Thank you.

Ocho y Pico, does appear to be responsible for very high quality scans. Thanks for the advice. 

(I wish I could afford to send a sample for scanning & grading to multiple labs and see the difference in results).

Thanks very much all for your continued advice.

Nicholas

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Super 8, Super8, post, color, grading, transfer, telecine, lab

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc