FAST 8

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Gregory Irwin

Gregory Irwin
  • Sustaining Members
  • 567 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Work is based in Los Angeles but I live elsewhere.

Posted 20 August 2016 - 08:31 AM

We have just wrapped up principle photography on FAST 8. What a journey it has been. For the production, it's been from Los Angeles to Iceland to Cuba, Atlanta, Cleveland and New York City. For me, LA to Cuba to Atlanta since February. This has been my 5th involvement with this franchise and I've become close with many cast and crew who return for each of these. I'll miss you all. Perhaps see you all again on "9"? Till then...

#2 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1461 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 20 August 2016 - 09:43 AM

Sounds like a nice shoot.. I guess you used a few different camera,s.. ?

#3 Miguel Angel

Miguel Angel
  • Sustaining Members
  • 685 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Spain / Ireland / South Africa

Posted 20 August 2016 - 10:20 AM

Hopefully ye will visit either Ireland or Spain on the 9th movie! :D 

Get some holidays now Greg! :)

#4 Gregory Irwin

Gregory Irwin
  • Sustaining Members
  • 567 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 20 August 2016 - 10:33 AM

Sounds like a nice shoot.. I guess you used a few different camera,s.. ?

Primarily open gate Alexas. A bit of Red Weapon and some Black Magic micros as well.

#5 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11679 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 August 2016 - 10:35 AM

Crikey, that was a long shoot.

#6 Gregory Irwin

Gregory Irwin
  • Sustaining Members
  • 567 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 20 August 2016 - 10:35 AM

Hopefully ye will visit either Ireland or Spain on the 9th movie! :D 

Get some holidays now Greg! :)

Wouldn't that be nice in Spain Miguel? No holiday yet for I start camera prep on JUMANJI on Wednesday for Columbia Pictures.

#7 Miguel Angel

Miguel Angel
  • Sustaining Members
  • 685 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 20 August 2016 - 01:47 PM

Jumanji sounds like a small and independent studio movie haha, you should ask for the b-cam so you can rest a bit ;) :) 

Canary Islands are very warm on Xmas! Just saying! 

I hope you have a very good start on Jumanji! :) 

#8 Gregory Irwin

Gregory Irwin
  • Sustaining Members
  • 567 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 20 August 2016 - 02:22 PM

Crikey, that was a long shoot.

It was 89 shooting days. Fairly typical. I started payroll in February because of meetings I was required to attend and 8 weeks of camera prep. All good.

#9 Miguel Angel

Miguel Angel
  • Sustaining Members
  • 685 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 April 2017 - 01:10 PM

Greg! I just saw Fast 8 last night. 

It is a very entertaining movie and it just goes beyond the 7th in terms of making everything bigger.. a submarine! what's going to be next, the International Space Station?? :D 

Great fun, stayed until the credits and saw your name, I was going to take a photo but the guys from the cinema were looking at me ha. 

It is such a technical accomplishment and everything is sharp and focused, you have to be super proud, congrats! 

Have a lovely day!. 

#10 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11679 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 April 2017 - 02:11 PM

Americans won't have seen this, but there's a piece of video that plays when one is waiting in line for the potential-terrorist exam at US immigration. It shows various attractive views of the US, including one shot showing a camera crew standing around their large, fully-rigged Panasomething, gleaming, toothy smiles wider than their heads. It always strikes me that it was probably taken on one of these shoots!

P

#11 Miguel Angel

Miguel Angel
  • Sustaining Members
  • 685 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 April 2017 - 04:31 PM

Americans won't have seen this, but there's a piece of video that plays when one is waiting in line for the potential-terrorist exam at US immigration. It shows various attractive views of the US, including one shot showing a camera crew standing around their large, fully-rigged Panasomething, gleaming, toothy smiles wider than their heads. It always strikes me that it was probably taken on one of these shoots!

P

Maybe Greg is in the photo! You should take a photo of the photo next time you go to the States! :D :D

#12 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11679 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 April 2017 - 05:09 PM

Can't. It's in the immigration area. Pull out a camera, and it'd be rubber-glove time in the back office.

#13 Gregory Irwin

Gregory Irwin
  • Sustaining Members
  • 567 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 15 April 2017 - 11:32 PM

Greg! I just saw Fast 8 last night. 

It is a very entertaining movie and it just goes beyond the 7th in terms of making everything bigger.. a submarine! what's going to be next, the International Space Station?? :D 

Great fun, stayed until the credits and saw your name, I was going to take a photo but the guys from the cinema were looking at me ha. 

It is such a technical accomplishment and everything is sharp and focused, you have to be super proud, congrats! 

Have a lovely day!.

Thanks Miguel! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. A lot of work that one was!!! I've seen most of it in the DI suite without sound. I'll try and see the finished product as soon as I can. Thank you for the kind words...

G

#14 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1384 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:53 PM

Hi Greg,
Congratulations on the movie and its record-breaking success!

I was wondering what lenses you used and whether you had any problems covering the Alexa Open Gate?

#15 Gregory Irwin

Gregory Irwin
  • Sustaining Members
  • 567 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:32 PM

Hi Greg,
Congratulations on the movie and its record-breaking success!

I was wondering what lenses you used and whether you had any problems covering the Alexa Open Gate?

Hello Dom,  Thank you so much.  We had no issues with Alexa open gate.  We did a 5% extraction of the 1:2.40 format in order to give our VFX peeps more room for post camera moves thus giving ourselves a chance.  We primarily used Master Primes, supplemented by certain Ultra Primes along with Angenieux and Fujinon zooms.

Interestingly enough, my next movie will be anamorphic with either the Alexa 65 or the new Panavision DXL large format cameras.  We will need to rebuild several of the Panavision anamorphic lenses in order to cover the sensor.  This is going to be a lot of work during prep.  Ugh!!!

G

#16 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1384 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:59 PM

That should be interesting! Looks like larger sensors are where it's heading for these sort of movies. You could always use those old Ultra Panavision 70 anamorphics from Hateful Eight if you get into trouble.. ;)

I'm currently giving tech support to a feature using the new Panavision 70 shericals with Alexa open gate - lovely lenses! 

#17 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1950 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:35 PM

A good DP friend of mine who's shooting a big Netflix show here in Vancouver called Altered Carbon, is using the Alexa 65 but shooting it with normal lenses that cover 5K only. They did extensive tests wanting the shallowest DoF and came to the conclusion that shooting faster lenses that only cover 5K sensor size on the Alexa 65, was shallower than using the slower medium format lenses covering the full sensor. This was interesting to hear. I'm assuming Greg, that you guys are after something similar for the upcoming shoot?

#18 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19378 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:46 PM

It's kind of crazy that shooting on a Master Prime at T/1.4 on a regular Alexa isn't shallow-enough focus-wise for some people.  "Arrival" had a shallow-focus look and most of that was T/2 on Ultra Primes.  And there are those T/1 Hawks...

#19 Jay Young

Jay Young
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Lexington KY

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:06 AM

It's kind of crazy that shooting on a Master Prime at T/1.4 on a regular Alexa isn't shallow-enough focus-wise for some people.  "Arrival" had a shallow-focus look and most of that was T/2 on Ultra Primes.  And there are those T/1 Hawks...

Interesting territory we're headed into.  I guess some would find T/5.6 to be deep focus these days. 

#20 Gregory Irwin

Gregory Irwin
  • Sustaining Members
  • 567 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:22 PM

A good DP friend of mine who's shooting a big Netflix show here in Vancouver called Altered Carbon, is using the Alexa 65 but shooting it with normal lenses that cover 5K only. They did extensive tests wanting the shallowest DoF and came to the conclusion that shooting faster lenses that only cover 5K sensor size on the Alexa 65, was shallower than using the slower medium format lenses covering the full sensor. This was interesting to hear. I'm assuming Greg, that you guys are after something similar for the upcoming shoot?

Not at all Adam. The DoF will be inherently shallow but we will light to a T4 or so. We are using the large format to gain as much visual information possible for the VFX goals.

G

Pro 8mm

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

Quantum Music Works

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC