Photo

Does a Filmmaker NEED to watch Citizen Kane in 2018?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#41 Matt Thomas

Matt Thomas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Other
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:49 PM

To be completely honest... cinema is born from photography which is born from painting.

So idk about all this Citizen Kane stuff, I can only look, appreciate, and have the mental capacity to be entertained by and draw inspiration from prehistoric cave drawings. No one else my age or age range has the same taste as me and only I can make original pizza flavors that explode with CGI taste. 

You all ever seen't Blade Runner? 

#42 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2458 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:11 PM

Wasn't Citizen Kane actually about Donald Trump.. ?

#43 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1581 posts
  • Director
  • Og from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:52 PM

Wasn't Citizen Kane actually about Donald Trump.. ?

Take your politics to the off topic threa-- oh wait.

#44 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2458 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:53 PM

Take your politics to the off topic threa-- oh wait.

And we all know what "Rosebud" is a reference to.. I do cos I went to film school..

#45 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1581 posts
  • Director
  • Og from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:00 AM

And we all know what "Rosebud" is a reference to.. I do cos I went to film school..

It was the sled, right? I fell asleep when the puzzle doing wife was complaining about her loveless marriage. Like I could hear this from my own mom at home why am I watching a movie about it?

#46 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2458 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:14 AM

It was the sled, right? I fell asleep when the puzzle doing wife was complaining about her loveless marriage. Like I could hear this from my own mom at home why am I watching a movie about it?

No sir.. rumor has it as a subtle dig at William Randolph Hearst.. as it was his pet name for his girlfriends clitoris ..think about it.. :) which made Hearst go ballistic with rage apparently ..   

#47 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5315 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:35 AM

Like I could hear this from my own mom at home why am I watching a movie about it?

Many dramas (film & TV) are a reflection of real life, Kane is a pretty stylised take on a certain man's life. There is a surprising amount of humour in it. 

#48 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2458 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:01 AM

Many dramas (film & TV) are a reflection of real life, Kane is a pretty stylised take on a certain man's life. There is a surprising amount of humour in it. 

Ken Loach has knocked out quite a few good films reflecting on real life.. 

Edited by Robin R Probyn, 10 July 2018 - 06:02 AM.

#49 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2839 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:42 AM

Ken Loach has knocked out quite a few good films reflecting on real life.. 

Bit lefty for me, but I was offered his 35mm. pic-sync for £1 a while back. Couldn't take it as I already had a 16mm. one to carry.

On the bus home it fascinated a film student.

Edited by Mark Dunn, 10 July 2018 - 11:42 AM.

#50 Ravi Kiran

Ravi Kiran
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 July 2018 - 12:33 PM

This may be a discussion for a different thread, but would it be crucial for a filmmaker to figure out the seed for their own style before flipping through tons of movies for analysis?

Any aspiring filmmaker has likely already seen a ton of films, with the images from many of them burned into their memories. When they're starting to make films they might be unconsciously copying certain things from their favorite films. That's common in any field. Music, painting, etc. Developing a unique style takes time, and builds on previous work anyways. It's not built in a vacuum, and there's nothing wrong with watching films for inspiration. It's rare that any filmmaker of note has no discernable creative lineage.

"Citizen Kane" has been a major touchstone film for a long time, and I absolutely think it's still worth studying. Perhaps in in a few years or a few decades another film will become the "Citizen Kane" of it's time.

#51 Lucas Fletcher

Lucas Fletcher
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Glasgow

Posted 27 July 2018 - 01:10 PM

Students or general enthusiasts in film who ask questions like the one in the OP do not tend to make it in the industry. If you don't feel a compulsion to explore and learn all there is, to study from the masters - then you won't make good work.

#52 Jon O'Brien

Jon O'Brien
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Other
  • Brisbane

Posted 27 July 2018 - 06:05 PM

But there are exceptions. I can't think of any examples in cinematography but in other creative areas there are some high achievers who couldn't abide the work of other famous artists in their field. Still, in the learning stages it helps to check out the acknowledged masters. Depends on the talent and the opportunity.

#53 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1581 posts
  • Director
  • Og from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 27 July 2018 - 09:31 PM

Students or general enthusiasts in film who ask questions like the one in the OP do not tend to make it in the industry. If you don't feel a compulsion to explore and learn all there is, to study from the masters - then you won't make good work.

Care to show me what you've made by "studying the masters"?

#54 Bruce Greene

Bruce Greene
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 July 2018 - 03:24 AM

Macks, you don't know what you're missing here.  And you don't know, what you don't know :)  Maybe that works for you.  When you're successful I assure you that the rest of us will be studying you!!!

#55 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5315 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 28 July 2018 - 06:04 AM

Care to show me what you've made by "studying the masters"?

I guess it stops you thinking that you've come up with something wonderfully  new, only to discover someone has done it 100 to 90 years ago.

#56 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1581 posts
  • Director
  • Og from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 28 July 2018 - 09:55 AM

Macks, you don't know what you're missing here.  And you don't know, what you don't know :)  Maybe that works for you.  When you're successful I assure you that the rest of us will be studying you!!!

The point I'm making is, well for one, his remarks are incendiary. To imply anyone else in your industry won't be successful if they disagree with you comes off as incredibly elitist.

Other point, people on this forum right now who've seen a career of success are doing what is influencing the future generation far more than Kane will. There comes a point where... "influence-ception" ends.

I feel some of the disagreements here are a result of slightly excess humbleness for this generation. Most people wouldn't dare say their modern work could teach someone how do to something the right way.

This is a total culture shock by the way because a few other popular mediums are the opposite of this energy.

Pride is not married to throwing shade.

I've fully watched Kane before, Metropolis, M, the usual suspects (damn I don't mean the title). They have merit and a place in history

The films released in the last 20 or so years may not always innovate every single time, but will it really matter for someone producing if they learned from who did it first?

Guys are going super absolutist on me. A filmmaker should be filling their "influence quota". I'm not saying "never watch Citizen Kane" (although some angry folks here would like to read it as that), I'm saying quit assuming the worst for people if they don't find Kane or the other golden age titles relatable. Chances are; that "void" is being filled with something else.

Edited by Macks Fiiod, 28 July 2018 - 10:00 AM.

#57 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5315 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 28 July 2018 - 10:06 AM

You don't have to know where it came from first, but it's surprising how far back the conventions used in modern films go back.

#58 Bruce Greene

Bruce Greene
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 July 2018 - 11:04 AM

I did not say you will not be successful. I said that when you shoot some famous films, the rest of us will study your work. :)

Best wishes to you Macks and please keep us up to date with your work.

#59 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1581 posts
  • Director
  • Og from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 28 July 2018 - 11:31 AM

I did not say you will not be successful. I said that when you shoot some famous films, the rest of us will study your work. :)

Best wishes to you Macks and please keep us up to date with your work.

Sorry I wasn't referring to you, Bruce. The previous person I quote replied.

#60 Jon O'Brien

Jon O'Brien
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Other
  • Brisbane

Posted 28 July 2018 - 05:16 PM

"What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done ..."

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio

Glidecam