Photo

The return of the small format magazine - in a modern way;)

Super 8 Web Portal

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Jurgen Lossau

Jurgen Lossau
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Producer

Posted 29 March 2017 - 03:24 AM

A new Super 8 camera from Kodak, the return of Ektachrome film stock. So, is there a future for Super 8? Hope so. I am the former editor-in-chief of the small format magazine. Even in these days I get a lot of mails asking for the return of the mag. But printing and shipping is too expensive. So we thought for something different, something contemporary: The Super 8 Web Portal.

The Super 8 Web Portal is intended to bring together current filmmakers and newcomers, to present both old and new film projects and to offer a massive online archive of more than 1,000 curated small format films. Active filmmakers and gear collectors alike will find the information they need, with the world’s largest online archive of 3,900 cameras and 3,500 projectors. We just started a crowdfunding campaign to realize this idea: https://www.kickstar...er-8-web-portal

Super 8 has been quiet for 30 years, but a small worldwide following of around 2,500 filmmakers is keeping the medium alive. Following traditional film photography, instant photos and vinyl records, this medium is now poised to take a ride on the retro express. Kodak has introduced a new Super 8 camera and reintroduced Ektachrome color reversal film. Ferrania (Italy) and Adox (Germany) are creating new film stocks for Super 8. Other companies are also researching and developing Super 8 cameras and film. The time has come to provide an information resource to support these developments. A portal featuring modern responsive design, which functions on home computers as well as smartphones.

What do you think about this project?

Attached Images

• Kickstarter_Aufmacherbild_1_Variante2_7.jpg

#2 Glenn Brady

Glenn Brady
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:12 AM

I was a subscriber to the English-language version of Smallformat, a magazine that I liked a lot.  I've used Super 8 film since its introduction in 1965 and, for the same reasons that I've stuck with film, I prefer printed matter.  It's tangible and more likely to last.  I'd be willing to pay for a printed magazine - even an expensive one - but reluctant to pay for access to a website. 

#3 Andries Molenaar

Andries Molenaar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Amsterdam

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:02 AM

I'll be writing for a newsletter to 800 members of a EU based photoclub which has a ciné audience too.

Possibly I could slip in a referal to this thead or the kickstarter page.

There is no official website yet I assume?

#4 Jurgen Lossau

Jurgen Lossau
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Producer

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:53 AM

Hi Andries, this is really nice. Please take the link of the kickstarter campaign. You are right: there is no official website yet.

Thanks

Juergen

#5 Gareth Blackstock

Gareth Blackstock
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Student
  • Ararat, Victoria Australia

Posted 30 March 2017 - 03:40 PM

I think offering an online version is great. Without the costs of printing and shipping, you may even get more articles and info. Many people already read magazines online, and it has become much easier to do for people of different tech capabilities, a web portal is the next best thing to s paper mag.
Good luck getting it started.

#6 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1047 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 30 March 2017 - 09:17 PM

I'm excited about this idea, I saved all of my copies of Smallformat. Great magazine, beautiful gear illistrations.

#7 Andries Molenaar

Andries Molenaar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Amsterdam

Posted 31 March 2017 - 02:38 PM

Hi Andries, this is really nice. Please take the link of the kickstarter campaign. You are right: there is no official website yet.

Thanks

Juergen

Hello Jürgen,

The mail went out this morning, according to the stats half of the 800 have openend mail by now and 10 clicked your kickstart link.

A few, but of course it is photo club :)

Regards

Andries

#8 Jurgen Lossau

Jurgen Lossau
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Producer

Posted 02 April 2017 - 07:19 AM

Thanks a lot, well, we really need some more support ;). Just 10% have been funded in 4 days...

#9 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2017 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 05 April 2017 - 11:07 AM

Just pledged 90 Euros. Good project and you're the perfect person to make it happen.

Are you thinking of making past SmallFormat issues available via PDF there?

#10 Andries Molenaar

Andries Molenaar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Amsterdam

Posted 06 April 2017 - 05:03 AM

Thanks a lot, well, we really need some more support ;). Just 10% have been funded in 4 days...

Now on some 15%. Not bad considering the small audience.

Just these forums aren't going to hack it. They have an air of worlddominance but in real-life it is slightly less. Here you have some 250 unique viewers, others far less.  As mentioned in some discussion about filmsales in North-America there must be a considerable group (99% :)  )who aren't on fora.

Best were to get a mention from Kodak or Spectra and pro8mm. Find emaillists from the former Smallformat publisher, Super8 today and who more. Try Fotoimpex who produce ADOX S8

Does google index kickstarter?

Edited by Andries Molenaar, 06 April 2017 - 05:05 AM.

#11 Jurgen Lossau

Jurgen Lossau
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Producer

Posted 06 April 2017 - 03:36 PM

Thanks for all the nice advices. Yes, we will start to contact all former readers of small format and schmalfilm and all companies in the small (format) industry ;). We have 46 backers now and need some more support so that this project will become reality. We offer these books as speical gifts for people who would like to fund our project. Have a look: https://www.kickstar...er-8-web-portal

Attached Images

• books.jpg

#12 Jurgen Lossau

Jurgen Lossau
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Producer

Posted 15 April 2017 - 12:45 PM

Have a look at one of our web pages. The status of the crowdfunding at kickstarter so far: US-$ 5,700, 27% funded. There is a lot to do in the next days ;).

Attached Images

• 170221_Super8_Start_EN.png

Edited by Jurgen Lossau, 15 April 2017 - 12:46 PM.

#13 Jurgen Lossau

Jurgen Lossau
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Producer

Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:34 AM

50% funded now, 98 backers. There is some hope that we can make it:).

#14 Jurgen Lossau

Jurgen Lossau
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Producer

Posted 27 April 2017 - 02:51 AM

Yesterday was a very good day for our project, more than US $ 4,000 in one day! 105 backers, 56% funded so far. Sounds good!;)

#15 Andries Molenaar

Andries Molenaar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Amsterdam

Posted 28 April 2017 - 01:38 AM

You will be needing some 1000 paying subscribers when operational? These backers are to get things going?

Makes one wonder how things got to work in paper age. A publisher would just go about and risk

his own money. Just like with books...

#16 Jurgen Lossau

Jurgen Lossau
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Producer

Posted 01 May 2017 - 09:43 AM

Hi Andries, the funding of the backers will keep things going for two years. We grant this on the kickstarter page. There is no need of some 1000 paying subscribers while operating. 500 paying subscribers from 2019 onwards would be fine. We already have some great supporters from the small format industry and some will follow. We achieved 69%, 119 backers so far. The last 10 days will show us if this project becomes reality.

#17 Jurgen Lossau

Jurgen Lossau
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Producer

Posted 03 May 2017 - 03:12 AM

Just a short update: 74% funded, 123 backers. Thanks a lot! Companies like ADOX, pro8mm, screenshot, Super8Reversal Lab, Kühn Film Video Transfer and others do like the idea of The Super 8 Web Portal and supported the project. Only 9 days to go...  https://www.kickstar...er-8-web-portal

#18 Nick Collingwood

Nick Collingwood
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Other
  • New York, NY

Posted 03 May 2017 - 01:54 PM

Whoa did Kodak back your project?? I notice your "Invitation for Kodak" reward is gone and you're now fully funded!! That's awesome!

#19 Jurgen Lossau

Jurgen Lossau
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Producer

Posted 03 May 2017 - 02:22 PM

Yes! Yes! Yes! If there were any doubts about the Kodak Super 8 camera or the Ektachrome film - I think that is blown away now. It took us 6 months to get this decision! Kodak supported the project and we try now to get another 9.000 Euro for the German version. Let's hope for the best. There are 8 days to go.

Attached Images

• Kickstarter_Aufmacherbild_inkl_stoerer.jpeg

#20 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1652 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:10 PM

When will the camera actually be available to the public?

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineTape

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

CineLab

Abel Cine