25 replies to this topic

#21 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 24 June 2007 - 12:36 PM

I had a sales rep from Konica Minolta tell me that 3 years ago.

I get the feeling that film will never dissapear, becoming more a botique/artistic flavor over time.

Actually I was referring to the functionality of video cameras. Soon they will all be data cameras, which means semsor heads attached to computers. It is the way of the world and frankly that's a good thing in my book, even on the top, top end.

#22 Jason Rodriguez

Jason Rodriguez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 26 June 2007 - 07:47 AM

What's the current situation regarding AVID?

Well, for right now, they don't support third-party codecs, end of story. So that means transcoding from our RAW files into a native AVID format.

The good news for QT support is that your AVID should be capable of at least ingesting the footage into something like DNxHD, but after that conversion, you are going to loose access to the RAW data . . . that's just a fact of life with AVID right now.

#23 Nate Downes

Nate Downes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1638 posts
  • Florida, USA

Posted 26 June 2007 - 08:35 AM

Actually I was referring to the functionality of video cameras. Soon they will all be data cameras, which means semsor heads attached to computers. It is the way of the world and frankly that's a good thing in my book, even on the top, top end.

Ok, makes more sence now.

And it's funny how things go full circle. The first broadcast cameras were nothing other than sensor heads, dumping to a recording device or straight to broadcast.

#24 Adam Thompson

Adam Thompson
  • Sustaining Members
  • 161 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 17 July 2007 - 03:17 PM

Actually if you want to bring it closer to RED you need to add an extra $4,000 for a clumsy 35mm adapter, another throw back to the late 90's. The Silicon camera alone costs $23,500.
RED basic package with camera, recording media is $18400.
Much more for considerably less.

The SI cam is probably, in the long run, better for indie buyers and TV/doc's than a RED is. The big 4K 35mm sensor on the RED is really more of a novelty right now it seems to me. You'll find that using 35mm lenses isn't as easy as your average HDV graduate would like. Also, the wide sweeping misunderstanding of how DOF works on given lenses and formats is way off because of marketing on RED's and its fan's part. Lets say you get your RED with a big 35mm lens out and you shoot a shot at T5.6. Shoot the same shot with a similar field of view S16mm lens on the SI at, say a T1.8 and your DOF would probably be shallower on the SI. (just an example to get the idea across, correct me if need be).

Watch Leaving Las Vegas. Do you like their control of focus? That entire film was shot on older generation 16mm film with S16mm lenses from the 90's. Watch 28 Weeks Later. What about the TV police drama, The Sheild, or Friday Night Lights? The film, The Last King of Scotland? The Squid and the Whale? Do you think any of them had good DOF control? I think so, without a doubt... all S16mm dude.

The point is that you often do not want really shallow DOF and anyway it's not that big a deal like fans think it is. Watch movies and start paying attention to how deep it usually really is. So many 35mm movies actually have deep DOF through out. I was just watching The Bridges of Madison County the other night (ok, laugh) but it is a great film and really pulls you into its environment. I noticed, after a while, that most of it was really deep DOF. Do you think it looks bad? It's just not that big a deal and on a smaller budget, where you have less lighting or sometimes no lights, the last thing you want to have to do is open medium or long 35mm lens all the way without plenty of set up time and good focus pulling abilities.

Also from what I read the SI has a 7" touch screen? How cool is that? It records to commonly available hard drives? Nice. Also, you can use the much cheaper yet very high quaility S16mm lenses out there. Yes you can do that on the RED too which will probably be the case anyway. The body looks a lot more practical on the SI. And it's 2K capable which is where 99% of cinema projection is going and it will be there for a long, long time. Oh and indie films have a 99+% chance of not even being shown in the theater. So Lucas shot that Star Wars movie on an old, first gen. Sony HD cam. The SI is a new gen. CMOS 2K RAW cam. That isn't good enough for you?

I'll be available with my Aaton for a long time it looks like as cheap film alternatives may actually become a more sought after medium than anyone thinks... all these new cams will start to look the same, just as HD TV shows are starting to.

#25 jan von krogh

jan von krogh
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Producer

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:43 AM

The big 4K 35mm sensor on the RED is really more of a novelty right now it seems to me. You'll find that using 35mm lenses isn't as easy as your average HDV graduate would like. Also, the wide sweeping misunderstanding of how DOF works on given lenses and formats is way off because of marketing on RED's and its fan's part. Lets say you get your RED with a big 35mm lens out and you shoot a shot at T5.6. Shoot the same shot with a similar field of view S16mm lens on the SI at, say a T1.8 and your DOF would probably be shallower on the SI. (just an example to get the idea across, correct me if need be).

Sorry, Yes, you need to be corrected here.
Red shoots at s35, s16 and 2/3 sensorsize. So you can actually use the formats you want.
The sensorsize can be selected. s16 is 2k, 2/3 1080p and s35k 4k and 2540p.

However, regarding the S:I. camera - it think its a great product.
And, as i am owning sony hdcam, old arri 35mm and have red on order, i think its interesting to know that i am considering to buy a SI.
Especially the mini is really interesting.

That said, i think there are other unique strenghts in the SI concept.
The integration of Iridias Speedgrade and Aspect Ration are excellent feature.
Also the 72fps overcranking is a great feature.

#26 Adam Thompson

Adam Thompson
  • Sustaining Members
  • 161 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 18 July 2007 - 11:37 AM

Sorry, Yes, you need to be corrected here.
Red shoots at s35, s16 and 2/3 sensorsize. So you can actually use the formats you want.
The sensorsize can be selected. s16 is 2k, 2/3 1080p and s35k 4k and 2540p.

However, regarding the S:I. camera - it think its a great product.
And, as i am owning sony hdcam, old arri 35mm and have red on order, i think its interesting to know that i am considering to buy a SI.
Especially the mini is really interesting.

That said, i think there are other unique strenghts in the SI concept.
The integration of Iridias Speedgrade and Aspect Ration are excellent feature.
Also the 72fps overcranking is a great feature.

Once again you posted when you didn't need to. I try not to read your responses but I screw up sometimes. You didn't correct anything. Yes, I know the sensor can be windowed, I hinted at that at the bottom of the post when I mentioned many would probably shoot with S16 glass. I used the 35mm sensor example above to try to make a DOF point, which I did. I think you are fitting into the fan-boy status here. Not sure why you feel you have to get in on every post where you think you can *try* to make a point. Be a little more choosey when posting.

Glidecam

Technodolly

CineLab

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks