#21 Mike Krumlauf

Mike Krumlauf
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OG from Chicago, Currently In Denver

Posted 07 October 2018 - 01:12 PM

Thanks for the info. Again, fantastic work. I honestly think this film looked better than the average stuff you see done on an alexa. goes to show its the artist not the camera in many situations.

I found another F900 film starring Paul Rudd called Diggers. I also know Me and you and everyone we know was shot on the 900 as well.

#22 Bruce Greene

Bruce Greene
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 October 2018 - 01:31 PM

So Mike, what happened to your love of the Varicam?  I think it's superior to the f-900 :)

#23 Mike Krumlauf

Mike Krumlauf
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:27 PM

So Mike, what happened to your love of the Varicam?  I think it's superior to the f-900 :)

Hey Bruce, I still love the varicam, its a great camera, but, I will have to say the Sony F900, especially the panavision modified version is superior than the varicam. The /3 version allows you to input custom gamma tables that are identical if not a tad more sensitive than film rec.. idk, too each his own as i always say. I love the way the pana/sony camera deals with skin tones and color. I do miss in camera speed ramping on the varicam though.

#24 Bruce Greene

Bruce Greene
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 October 2018 - 10:23 AM

Hey Bruce, I still love the varicam, its a great camera, but, I will have to say the Sony F900, especially the panavision modified version is superior than the varicam. The /3 version allows you to input custom gamma tables that are identical if not a tad more sensitive than film rec.. idk, too each his own as i always say. I love the way the pana/sony camera deals with skin tones and color. I do miss in camera speed ramping on the varicam though.

I once did a test comparing the two cameras.  The sony is 1080P  and the Varicam is 720P and... it was nearly impossible to see the difference (for detail).  Each camera records the same amount of data.  I'm not sure the custom curves in the Sony still allowed access to the full dynamic range that the camera could see though.  But, if you're shooting for (getting the look in camera), then I can see how the sony might be more desirable.  For post color correction, the Varicam had the edge.  I will say, if you've got a Panavision version, with the Panavision lens to go with it, the Panavision lenses were quite good.  And they had the advantage of not having the distance scale shift with the ambient temperature as the Canon and Fuji lenses do.

#25 Mike Krumlauf

Mike Krumlauf
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 October 2018 - 01:10 PM

I once did a test comparing the two cameras.  The sony is 1080P  and the Varicam is 720P and... it was nearly impossible to see the difference (for detail).  Each camera records the same amount of data.  I'm not sure the custom curves in the Sony still allowed access to the full dynamic range that the camera could see though.  But, if you're shooting for (getting the look in camera), then I can see how the sony might be more desirable.  For post color correction, the Varicam had the edge.  I will say, if you've got a Panavision version, with the Panavision lens to go with it, the Panavision lenses were quite good.  And they had the advantage of not having the distance scale shift with the ambient temperature as the Canon and Fuji lenses do.

I def see a difference in detail and overall quality between the two cameras. I have the Panavision Body and viewfinder but I am using an Optex Cine HD Zoom, HJ9x5x5. The varicam is a beautiful camera and i had many fun years with it, but, once i got behind a 900 and did my tests with one, i was hooked. Like i said, to each his own. Both cameras offer great pictures in the right hands, after experiencing both, i like the 900 more.

#26 Mike Krumlauf

Mike Krumlauf
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 09 October 2018 - 01:02 PM

Saw a really decent indie flick staring some major talent called Masked & Anonymous. It was shot on the F900/3. Available on Amazon Prime for all who has it. check it out!

Paralinx LLC

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

Abel Cine

The Slider

Wooden Camera