37 replies to this topic

#21 christian mann

christian mann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Student

Posted 05 December 2016 - 02:38 PM

I love the smallhd 702 high bright. just shot 6 days with it in bright bright daylight and no need for sunshade. previously I used the TVLogig ....56 so I can't compare it now with the TVLogic ...58 but the smallhd is 7" vs 5.6" of the latest TVLogic.....

Witht the TV Logic I often find myself zooming in 20% - no need for that with the smallhd.

I really like it to pull focus.

#22 David Doherty

David Doherty

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera

Posted 10 December 2016 - 12:30 PM

I can't offer any insight on small HD monitors, but the TV logic 058 is streets ahead of the 5.6". The screen is a little smaller but its ridiculously sharp, and if you like to use focus assist it gives a great response in most situations. Its also a little heavier and definitely gets a lot hotter compared to the 5.6" if any of that is a concern.

#23 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2400 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 10 December 2016 - 08:42 PM

Also have the TV Logic 058.. very nice small monitor .. has 3 function switches ..some built in LUT,s.. screen protector.. 

#24 Dan Quigley

Dan Quigley

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Producer
  • Atlanta, Georgia

Posted 23 February 2017 - 03:33 PM

Any one try out MustHD's monitors? The specs seem nice but they seem relatively new so I haven't seen any reviews.

https://www.bhphotov...00_full_hd.html

#25 Mark Kenfield

Mark Kenfield
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1201 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Australia/Wherever The Wind Takes Me

Posted 23 February 2017 - 06:49 PM

Any one try out MustHD's monitors? The specs seem nice but they seem relatively new so I haven't seen any reviews.

https://www.bhphotov...00_full_hd.html

I'd love to hear feedback on them too. Their 2200(!) nit 7" HD monitor sounds kind of incredible for outdoor use! (though they lack a little on the monitoring features front compared to the competition, but no one else is making a monitor THAT bright)

#26 Chris Steel

Chris Steel
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • London

Posted 01 March 2017 - 04:52 PM

I got hands on with the new SmallHD 503 today at BVE. Should be relevant here. There's a 703 version and a 702 oled coming out at the same sort of time but they weren't at the show today.

Felt solid, all metal frame with gorilla glass over the screen

Buttons felt solid, thumb knob is greatly improved over the 502 and 702. Doesn't feel like it's about to break every time you touch it.

2200 nits claimed, certainly was pretty bright. It has a studio brightness mode which locks it at 100nits.

For me, this is a great monitor for on camera needs and as a quick reference for the DOP as it has exposure tools and LUTS (just like the 502). Not sure I would use it as a focus monitor alone on a stand with sun shade though, leave that to the 703 and slightly larger monitors.

It's bigger and heavier than the 502 but then it's full metal and has a big heat sink on the back. Power seems to be external only at the moment but theres some sort of connection on the back. After market battery plate connection maybe?

Google Drive album

#27 Mark Kenfield

Mark Kenfield
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1201 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 01 March 2017 - 07:41 PM

Wow, that sounds like the on-board monitor I've been waiting for! Very cool.

#28 Albion Hockney

Albion Hockney
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • LA

Posted 01 March 2017 - 09:32 PM

You gotta pay for it though its going to be priced over two grand. will probably be the new standard on camera operating monitor though. I never liked viewfinders 

#29 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2400 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:34 PM

I must be old.. I would never operate off a monitor unless I had to..   :)

#30 Albion Hockney

Albion Hockney
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • LA

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:37 PM

Yep : ) haha. 

#31 Albion Hockney

Albion Hockney
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • LA

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:41 PM

....its probably just because us young guys just run around shooting "cinematic docu" style and half the time if we had EVFS we'd bounce into walls if we couldn't see around a monitor were shooting so fast.

#32 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 20250 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:15 PM

You know, news people with camcorders and EVF's and the 16mm documentary and war camera people before them who had to look through a viewfinder managed not to run into walls -- it's called using both eyes...

#33 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2400 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 02 March 2017 - 02:32 AM

....its probably just because us young guys just run around shooting "cinematic docu" style and half the time if we had EVFS we'd bounce into walls if we couldn't see around a monitor were shooting so fast.

Ive shot many doc,s now.. and have yet to to actually run into a wall   :).. although I have bashed YoYo Ma,s borrowed Stradivarius Cello once ..~.. he was very gracious about it.. !..  

Each to their own but I just like the focus of looking into a black hole with a frame inside.. and using the other eye at times too .. how do you deal with bright sun light.. not a dig.. just curious 

Actually.. how do you ever focus off those monitors too !.. esp outside in the sun.. 

Edited by Robin R Probyn, 02 March 2017 - 02:39 AM.

#34 Chris Steel

Chris Steel
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • London

Posted 02 March 2017 - 04:40 AM

News shooter now have their video about it up

#35 Mark Kenfield

Mark Kenfield
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1201 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:27 AM

I must be old.. I would never operate off a monitor unless I had to..   :)

It's nice that EVFs have finally reached a point where they're pretty great to use (and easy to judge focus by). The big advantage to a viewfinder over a monitor is obviously the occlusion of light so that you can actually see your frame properly.

A 2200/2500 nit monitor changes the game a bit, in that now you can actually view your image clearly, even outdoors during the daytime. That's never really been possible before.

Now that I have an optical viewfinder on my camera with the Studio, I've become a total optical snob, but I can see this being HUGELY useful for ACs (confirming focus in the bright outdoors), as a portable split for the Director, or for operating in awkward positions where putting your eye to the viewfinder isn't feasible.

#36 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2400 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:59 AM

It's nice that EVFs have finally reached a point where they're pretty great to use (and easy to judge focus by). The big advantage to a viewfinder over a monitor is obviously the occlusion of light so that you can actually see your frame properly.

A 2200/2500 nit monitor changes the game a bit, in that now you can actually view your image clearly, even outdoors during the daytime. That's never really been possible before.

Now that I have an optical viewfinder on my camera with the Studio, I've become a total optical snob, but I can see this being HUGELY useful for ACs (confirming focus in the bright outdoors), as a portable split for the Director, or for operating in awkward positions where putting your eye to the viewfinder isn't feasible.

Totally agree with all the above.. wish I had this when I was a focus puller.. !.. screen does look shiny though..I think you,ll still get alot of reflections..you can see them in the video posted.. plus your eye will adapt to bright or dark surroundings..  but yes each to their own.. I do think its a generational thing.. I only use them for some dolly moves .. but would never think of using any on board as my primary VF.. because Im not used to them I guess is the reason.. but alot of younger folk have come from DSLR where a monitor was better than the tiny screen on the back of the camera.. or RED,s.. so thats what they are used to.. 

Have to be carful with some monitors with Sony,s 23.98p PsF output.. that is different from Arri and other camera,s.. alot of monitors wont accept the input and no picture.. used to be alot complaints from steady cam op,s.. put on an f55.. and no picture !

And well also.. I dont want everyone and their dog looking over my shoulder at the image.. or wanting to see replay every second shot.. 

#37 Guillaume Cottin

Guillaume Cottin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Toronto

Posted 02 March 2017 - 09:41 AM

Does the SmallHD 503 have OLED panel?

#38 Chris Steel

Chris Steel
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • London

Posted 02 March 2017 - 02:04 PM

Does the SmallHD 503 have OLED panel?

The 503 and 703 both have LCD panels. There is a 702 OLED coming out in march also that has the same style of housing as the other new models. Check out their website, should all be on there

Abel Cine

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera