I hope someone can help answer a few questions.
I just received a very mint condition looking Beaulieu 4008ZM with the Angenieux 8-64mm. This was won in an online live-bid auction a month or so ago (a large number of Super 8 cameras from a collector). It looks great but I don't have a clue if it works as it didn't come with a battery (not even a non-working one). Here is what I've discovered:
- I can't see an image thru the viewfinder. From the posts I've read I am presuming it is because the shutter is in the down position.
- I need to purchase some sort of battery. Looking on the Wittner website I saw the large Eneloop on-board battery. It is not cheap. Has anyone used this? Am I better getting a Dummy Socket, cable and external battery? Any particular system you would recommend?
- The mirror retraction knob will not turn. While I do not plan on retracting the mirror I wonder why it would be so stiff.
- The Three-position Power Supply switch is stuck in the "in" position. I can pull it out, with a little effort and using my fingernails. I can't seem to make it lock in the "lock" position. My guess is something is amiss. Is there supposed to be a spring-action or something like that?
- I put the selector in the "Manual" position and try to manually zoom but it feels like the gears are still engaged. Is this because there is no power to the camera?
- The camera did come with the filter key. Is there a way to tell, without burning a cartridge of film, if the Wratten filter is still good?
- There is no foam or rubber gasket on the film door; is that the design?
Thank you in advance for any advice. I live in Tokyo so having the camera checked out in Europe is not easy. I need to check with Retro 8 to see if they work on Beaulieu.
I hope I can turn this into a viable camera; it is the camera I've dreamed of owning since I was 10 years old.