#1 Samuel Berger

Samuel Berger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1179 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 20 January 2018 - 02:28 AM

I'm very impressed with Fomapan. Not because I saw it in 16mm, but because I saw it in Regular 8mm and had no idea it was R8 until I read the video descriptions.

This 2K scan looks almost like 16mm:

These were made with a Bolex H8 Reflex. Mr. Carter was experimenting with syncing sound to 8mm film and apparently recorded it all at 16fps! He also hand-processed his film by himself.

Are there any US-based sources for Fomapan? I need this in my life. If I were saving money to move I'd be getting a Bolex H8 Reflex right about now.

#2 Todd Pinder

Todd Pinder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Best Boy
  • Honolulu

Posted 20 January 2018 - 11:53 AM

Plenty of 8mm and Double Super 8 in small reels through B&H and the like. 16mm or 100ft in 8mm are hard to come by in the States, could order through Macodirect.

https://www.macodire...m-x-30.5m?c=616

#3 Samuel Berger

Samuel Berger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1179 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 20 January 2018 - 06:04 PM

Thanks, Todd. I also see it for sale in 100ft 35mm spools. I wonder if I can run that in my Arri IIc straight out of the package, or if I'd need to re-spool it.

Seems it's been done on a Konvas.

From the comments:

How it would work with a Arri 2c, I don't know very well because it is camera based how well the movement handles incorrect perforation profile (KS perfs instead of the normal BH) and pitch (long pitch instead of the normal short pitch) so the only way is to test it. there is however not much difference in this regard between still films so you can test the perforation profile and pitch with any still film and if it works correctly with your camera you can then try Foma knowing that your camera can transport it without braking the movement or tearing the perfs. I believe that it should work but the only way is to test. But the certain thing is that these still films DO NOT WORK with pin-registered cameras, the long pitch and different perforation profile is too much for pin registered systems and you can break your camera. But as said I believe that it should work with the Arri 2c, just test it first with any still film by slowly turning the movement by hand, then doing running tests, and if it sounds fine and does not jam etc. then the Foma should also work. Shiny pressure plates are another issue which can cause problems with b/w films, these films don't have remjet backing so it may be possible to see pressure plate's "ghost" over the image in some lighting situations if the plate is shiny

Edited by Samuel Berger, 20 January 2018 - 06:13 PM.

#4 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2739 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 21 January 2018 - 07:41 AM

IIRC 35mm. long rolls for still use are not supplied on a spool, they're usually on a core. The pitch isn't relevant for stills so it's not quoted, but the manufacturer would know it presumably.
Some Arris, not the 2C, have pitch adjustment, if only for noise reduction, so presumably differences are tolerable, even expected.

#5 Doug Palmer

Doug Palmer
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 21 January 2018 - 08:08 AM

My 2c seems happy with 35mm still b/w film. Nice steady image.

Samuel why sell your impressive 2-perf 2c ?  Keep it and rent out to us sad types and recoup the money that way. I'd rent it if I lived in US ;)

#6 Samuel Berger

Samuel Berger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1179 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 21 January 2018 - 07:17 PM

IIRC 35mm. long rolls for still use are not supplied on a spool, they're usually on a core. The pitch isn't relevant for stills so it's not quoted, but the manufacturer would know it presumably.
Some Arris, not the 2C, have pitch adjustment, if only for noise reduction, so presumably differences are tolerable, even expected.

It seems the 35mm Fomapan is supplied on a spool. Interesting (and convenient) choice. And it seems I wasn't the first to have that incredibly original idea:

My 2c seems happy with 35mm still b/w film. Nice steady image.

Samuel why sell your impressive 2-perf 2c ?  Keep it and rent out to us sad types and recoup the money that way. I'd rent it if I lived in US ;)

Because I need the money in order to move someplace where the sun actually shines more than one month out of the year. ;-)

Ritter Battery

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

CineTape

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC