#21 Phil Connolly

Phil Connolly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Director
  • London

Posted 19 February 2018 - 04:40 AM

I think I understand the approach they're taking. What I don't understand is why it works. What we might call the Sunglasses Gambit works on $200 sunglasses and in 2006 it worked on a $16,000 4K camera. That surprised me. What absolutely astonishes me is that it still works on a £53k camera.

I guess it worked because it filled a niche - they were pushing the small bodies when 3D was a thing and it filled the 4K gap for Netflix etc... The cameras had advantages over the competition so people put up with the design "aesthetic". I don't think most users particular responded to the marketing - just that the Red One/Epic filled a niche in the market not served by other manufacturers. 

Things have moved on with Venice and Varicam 4k, Alexa Mini and LF. I agree the continued "rebel" thing is strange at the prices they are now charging. If anyone is shaking up the market its Blackmagic not Red. 

I wonder if it still is "working" on a $53k camera (or $79k for VV), beyond the fanboys are people still investing in then? Even at the Raven end, they are as rare as hen's teeth over here compared to FS7's, C300's and Ursa Minis. When you look at the specs on Netflix shows increasingly the big budget stuff is Alexa 65 and Varicam. I would imagine a lot of Netflix is going to move over the Alexa LF now, removing the main reason to own a Red. If you had $100k to spend on a camera system - buying an Arri would make more business sense. They tend to rent for more, more often and seem to have much better resale value. Back in the day you could buy 2 Reds for the price of one Arri - that's no longer the case.

Maybe thats why they are making the phone.  Which is perhaps a shrewd idea - they don't seem able to compete with Blackmagic, Sony et al on price. Arri has the high end sewn up and the middle ground is getting crowded. At that point pivoting onto consumer tech products, with its potentially vast market, make's sense. Still they are going to have their work cut out for them, competing against Samsung and Apple. This new Kill-O-Zap phone will need to be pretty special and re-enforce my fragile masculinity with some cool spikes, before I do away my trusty Galaxy S8 

#22 Phil Connolly

Phil Connolly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Director
  • London

Posted 19 February 2018 - 05:16 AM

The more I think about it, the more it has to do with the image of "Masculinity" and the products serve to reinforce the masculinity of its users. Hence why Red has lots of fanboys, but very few fangirls. I know the camera department tends to skew male, thats not a good thing. It's a shame Red feels the need to reinforce that stereotype.

I only have a male perspective on this but I get a sense that Red's marketing and industrial design risks alienating female DOP's (and most sensible male ones). Sure a camera's not a fashion accessory, well it shouldn't be. But Red has kind have made it one, or tried to make it one, with the skulls and the rhetoric. Its not an outlandish statement to accuse RED of producing a Masculine camera. Why does a camera need to be gendered in its design, makes no sense? 

I guess  its partially due to its creators previous experience in fashion. Red markets its products in the same way Oakley sunglasses did. Most cameras are Utilitarian in design, 'form follows function' . Red was the first digital cinema companies to push a particular strong design brand. I guess theres nothing wrong with that in principle, but less of the skulls please. When Bic released a "for Her" pen it was ridiculed (https://www.amazon.c...k/dp/B004FTF6H4) - Reds marketing/design opens them up to ridicule for exactly the same reasons

Meanwhile, Why would I want an "Alexa"? Thats a girls name, ugh!  

#23 Jon O'Brien

Jon O'Brien
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Other
  • Brisbane

Posted 19 February 2018 - 07:36 AM

How about a new line of girl cameras called PINK. No wait, that's not cis-gender ... or is it. Not? Umm .....

#24 Phil Connolly

Phil Connolly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Director
  • London

Posted 19 February 2018 - 08:30 AM

How about a new line of girl cameras called PINK. No wait, that's not cis-gender ... or is it. Not? Umm .....

I'd be fine using a PINK camera too, but it would make accessorising more difficult, maybe its time for Portabrace to move past blue and expand the line

#25 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2257 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 08 March 2018 - 06:31 PM

The "Secret Sauce" that separates the ManCam from the FanBoyCam is the dyes used to make the Bayer Mask.

If you don't get that right, no amount of wishful thinking, Digital Jiggery-Pokery or color pseudo-science "afterburning"  is ever going to fix it.

(The same thing applies to colour film, which is one reason why there were so few successful manufacturers of that). 

Arri got it right, and they're not about to share the recipe. Get over it.

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

Abel Cine