#1 Ronald Gerald Smith

Ronald Gerald Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Student
  • NYC

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:51 AM

I am considering buying one of these, but I wanted to find out from others on their opinion of it. It's not cheap, priced at $85 at Filmtools. It does seem like it would be better than just going with the wire setup, so the bulb doesn't swing around loosely, plus I will mount it on a c-stand. What do you all think about these things? Is it worth the price or should I just go with the traditional China ball setup? Also, I have tried the Chimera china balls. They are fantastic but is not what I want to go for at this time.

Also, I am hearing about a lot of people booming china balls. What kind of pole would they use to boom them? I am hoping not a traditional sound boom pole?

#2 robert duke

robert duke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Grip
  • southeast USA

Posted 27 August 2010 - 02:47 AM

I am considering buying one of these, but I wanted to find out from others on their opinion of it. It's not cheap, priced at $85 at Filmtools. It does seem like it would be better than just going with the wire setup, so the bulb doesn't swing around loosely, plus I will mount it on a c-stand. What do you all think about these things? Is it worth the price or should I just go with the traditional China ball setup? Also, I have tried the Chimera china balls. They are fantastic but is not what I want to go for at this time.

Also, I am hearing about a lot of people booming china balls. What kind of pole would they use to boom them? I am hoping not a traditional sound boom pole?

the lantern locks are fantastic. no complaints at all. china ball boom poles are frequently a painters pole or something similar. you might use a robust sound boom pole but...

#3 Ronald Gerald Smith

Ronald Gerald Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Student
  • NYC

Posted 27 August 2010 - 04:23 AM

the lantern locks are fantastic. no complaints at all. china ball boom poles are frequently a painters pole or something similar. you might use a robust sound boom pole but...

Thanks, I am glad to hear that they are good. How would you go on attaching the painter's pole to the lanterlock? Is there a specific adapter that you can use?

Metropolis Post

Visual Products

The Slider

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

Abel Cine

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport