Michael Ryan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Other
  • Toronto, Canada via Huntington Beach, California

Posted 13 July 2006 - 08:51 PM

Hello All,

First off, the aim of this post is not to offend anyone, but a lot of creative people on this board really have no clue when it comes to the world of business (of course, this could be seen as a very good thing).

I have worked in some large corportations (not related to filmmaking) and while I haven't made any big decisions I have seen the corporate mind and thinking first hand.

First off, if you don't know, I need to tell you that we have some real angels who are watching our back when it comes to film at Kodak. Because I would bet my next paycheck that when the President of Kodak listens to the ideas of the major stockholders I'm sure they are asking why Kodak is making "any" film let alone Super-8. I'm sure they want Kodak to be 100% digital ASAP.

So, to those angels at Kodak, keep going to bat for us. There are many of us who know you men and women are doing your best to keep film alive.

I'm always amazed that there are still parts of Kodak that care so much about the film industry. Because, in case you haven't noticed, Kodak in Rochester use to employ 60,000 people. Last I heard they were down to 15,000.

One Kodak customer that wants to say THANK YOU to those men and women that keep film alive at Kodak.

Mike

#22 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3323 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 13 July 2006 - 09:52 PM

I agree with your message.

I'm still not sure why Kodak might not want to see how much they could muster in pre-sales before attempting a new film stock release.

#23 Mike Crane

Mike Crane
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 13 July 2006 - 11:30 PM

Perhaps if Kodak cuts a one-time deal with a handful of dealers and select pre-order customers, they may get a large enough push to help justify the initial release of 50D and 100D. After that, it will be up to the shooters to keep it going... or not.

Surely, if the goal of Kodak is to entice production newbies into becoming hard core film buffs, they should put out their best, most beautiful films that can really deliver the goods in an undersized format. Without question this is the 50D (from their negative family) and 100D (from their reversal family). Grainless, sharp and colorful with the look of film! Thats what all super 8 users really want in the end. Considering the obvious, there is no question that these two films would be among the "best sellers" of the super 8 family!

If a single stock must be sacrificed for 2 new films, I would do away with 64T. It would be great PR for Kodak to finally say it is offering two new films for the sacrifice of one. It would also provide film shooters with the confidence that film is here to stay. I truly think it would be in Kodak's best interest to challenge the negative tide of thinking that film is doomed. What could be a better message than releasing more cutting edge films for super 8 with some positive promotion mixed in. ;)

#24 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 20083 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 14 July 2006 - 12:19 AM

Perhaps if Kodak cuts a one-time deal with a handful of dealers and select pre-order customers,

And who is going to organize this drive, store by store, customer by customer? It isn't just going to happen on its own... How many independent dealers of Super-8 negative stock are there anyway?

#25 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1063 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 14 July 2006 - 01:33 AM

I'm also super greatful for Kodak keeping the format alive.

#26 Rachel Oliver

Rachel Oliver
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • London, England

Posted 14 July 2006 - 04:24 AM

The increase contrast and saturation is very subtle, they look very similar in S8 except for much finer grain in the 100D. Switching the two, would be almost like taking 64T and wiping off the grain.

The ideal stock list in my opinion:

100D color reversal
Tri X B&W reversal
50D color Neg
200T color neg
500T color neg

Hi;

I would not leave out Plus X B&W reversal, it's ideal for S8, fine grained and sharp with great contrast, it's the B&W partner to 7285 100D colour reversal.... Also, even though I'd love 7201 in S8, in the Beggars can't be choosers scenario were in 7217 rated at 64t with a W85 filter is probably not too far from 7201. It seems the 7285 100D colour reversal is more likely to happen and this at least is a BIG positive, I've also been reading that it should actually work better with the auto asa cams than the 64t did?

Olly

#27 Sam Wells

Sam Wells
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1751 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 14 July 2006 - 09:30 AM

If you guys want S8 to be a "fully professional medium" as I read here, then maybe it's time to GIVE UP the auto notching ENTIRELY.

Seems to me 50D is *ideally* suited for S8 in every (other) respect.

I mean if I choose it over medium speed neg in 16/S16 why on earth wouldn't I want to choose it in a _smaller_ format ??

-Sam

#28 Mike Crane

Mike Crane
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 14 July 2006 - 11:30 AM

And who is going to organize this drive, store by store, customer by customer? It isn't just going to happen on its own... How many independent dealers of Super-8 negative stock are there anyway?

There are only a handful of dealers that sell the negative super 8 films (we all probably know most of them off the top of our heads). The same applies to repeat customers that regularly buy decent quantities of super 8 film. All of this information can easily be obtained from Kodak's computer with accounting. We are probably talking under 50 candidates that might be worth asking. One person could either send a form letter or make phone calls... less than a few days effort for one employee.

This aside, the low ASA fine grain films in super 8 are more of a promotional tool than anything else. Kodak should want new customers who experiment with film to see their best product... even at a loss (but, we all know that the low ASA color films would sell the best in super 8). Today, super 8 is an investment in Kodak's promotion of film rater than a big money maker. Its one of their best offerings to entice new clients.

#29 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1063 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 14 July 2006 - 11:54 AM

I would not leave out Plus X B&W reversal, it's ideal for S8, fine grained and sharp with great contrast, it's the B&W partner to 7285 100D colour reversal.... Also, even though I'd love 7201 in S8, in the Beggars can't be choosers scenario were in 7217 rated at 64t with a W85 filter is probably not too far from 7201. It seems the 7285 100D colour reversal is more likely to happen and this at least is a BIG positive, I've also been reading that it should actually work better with the auto asa cams than the 64t did?

Yeah, Plus X is pretty good for S8... I just like TriX a little better, and 5 stocks seem to be the par selection for S8. When it comes down to it, leaving things as they are but replacing 64T with 100D would be great. As for my experience with S8 100D, the camera meters it at 100ASA without filter... and it looks sooo good. Lets put it this way, people are going bannanas for Vel 50D. Spectra can't keep it in stock it's going so fast. Well, 100D is nearly identical except a little more red bias, where Velvia is a little more green bias. Plus, 100D is a full stop faster with the same grain, and less contrast.

When it comes to 7201. It would actually encourage me to shoot more of the other 2 negs, because then I would have the ability to work them together on things I would otherwise not do.

#30 Rachel Oliver

Rachel Oliver
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • London, England

Posted 14 July 2006 - 04:16 PM

[quote name='SamWells' date='Jul 14 2006, 03:30 PM' post='115116']
If you guys want S8 to be a "fully professional medium" as I read here, then maybe it's time to GIVE UP the auto notching ENTIRELY.

Hi;

That's why I use a Leicina Special :D

Olly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

Glidecam

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine