#21 Lenny Manfred

Lenny Manfred

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 01 February 2016 - 01:42 AM

I read some of the posts, a lot of different opinions. Mine is, get a camera. the whole point is to learn, and the more you shoot the more you learn. if every time you felt like shooting something you had to rent a camera, you would end up shooting less. who cares if technology will make that camera a paper weight in two years, you got to shoot tons of stuff in those two years. and yes, the lights, or the lenses, will last you longer, especially since they will be sitting on a shelf not being used waiting for you to rent a camera.

#22 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1773 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 01 February 2016 - 06:22 AM

I read some of the posts, a lot of different opinions. Mine is, get a camera. the whole point is to learn, and the more you shoot the more you learn. if every time you felt like shooting something you had to rent a camera, you would end up shooting less. who cares if technology will make that camera a paper weight in two years, you got to shoot tons of stuff in those two years. and yes, the lights, or the lenses, will last you longer, especially since they will be sitting on a shelf not being used waiting for you to rent a camera.

...and every time you review your "stuff" shot under available light, you'll wonder if it would have looked better with some supplemental lighting.  Your lights could get you volunteer work on someone else's short where you could continue to learn with their camera.

#23 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 12235 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 February 2016 - 06:28 AM

Yes, although - honestly you can get a very serviceable camera for practically nothing. Get yourself a GH3 or something. Anything. An A7S is absolute nirvana compared to what we had back in the day. The camera will cost considerably less than an even-vaguely-reasonable lighting package.

I feel old now.

P

#24 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1773 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 01 February 2016 - 07:16 AM

Phjil, you seem to be the master of low-buck lighting, what's in your arsenal?

#25 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 12235 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:11 AM

I wouldn't recommend anyone do it the way I do it, because I'm an inverterate tinkerer.

If I were to set up a general-purpose minimum package right now I'd probably get fluorescents from someone other than Kino-Flo (no slur on them, just a cost thing) and some sort of 300/650/1K tungsten fresnel kit, again, from someone other than Arri.

Substitute LED fresnels if you can afford them, or something like the Cool Lights 150 CDM if you're desperate for efficiency.

Stands, flags, diffusion.

It's not rocket science.

P

#26 aapo lettinen

aapo lettinen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1142 posts
  • Other
  • Finland

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:01 PM

battery powered led lights are quite usable if you can find ones which have good enough spectrum for your needs. I think a 300/650/1000 tungsten set is a good basic package and I would add a 2k tungsten fresnel if possible (I use them all the time in small shoots when HMI is too expensive to rent) . 

basic stands for the lights. the production can usually rent extra stands, flags etc. if needed because they are cheap to rent so you might manage with the bare minimum of cheaper stands as long as they are sturdy enough to be safe. couple of sandbags. If you can afford them, a dedo or two (100w range) may be handy in many shoots.

You have to calculate how much you will use your gear on productions to justify whether to rent or to buy a piece of equipment. You won't need for example mini kino flo -s all the time so no need to buy one, you can probably substitute one with cheaper led gear in some situations. If you don't have ANY kind of camera you should buy one but if you already have a camera then it may be better to buy some lights before upgrading the camera body. Your camera don't necessarily need to be the best available because you don't usually get fully paid for the gear anyway and you'll be probably hired for other reasons than the gear you own 

#27 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 01 February 2016 - 05:35 PM

I wouldn't recommend anyone do it the way I do it, because I'm an inverterate tinkerer.
P

Is it weird that I read this as 'invertebrate'? Suddenly, it all made sense, at least for a minute... 🐙

#28 Gregg MacPherson

Gregg MacPherson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1937 posts
  • Other
  • New Zealand

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:04 PM

Is that because of the entity in this image,  which looks to have an exo-skeleton.  Well spotted (or well thought) Satsuki.  Enjoy the moment.

photo-thumb-29.jpg?_r=1386159530

Edited by Gregg MacPherson, 01 February 2016 - 10:06 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Arri, kino, a7sII, ursa mini, investment, cinematographer, camera, lighting, package

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery