#41 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 01 April 2007 - 05:27 PM

Well here's something depressing from IMDB trivia on Three Kings:

Director Cameo: [David O. Russell] The 'Hollywood actor' George Clooney strangles in the epilogue sequence.

So APPARENTLY ol' George didn't ACTUALLY choke O. Russell for real...what a shame <_<

IMDB isn't exactly the Library of Congress. Of course neither are rumors.

#42 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 03 April 2007 - 02:02 AM

IMDB isn't exactly the Library of Congress. Of course neither are rumors.

Well, of course, one can always HOPE Clooney ACTUALLY try to strangle O. Russell ...... so let's keep a good thought. B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly, 03 April 2007 - 02:04 AM.

#43 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 03 April 2007 - 02:58 AM

On top of all that creative pressure and intense focus for months and years at a time that the director deals with, comes all the responsibilites of the director, including all the handholding and coddling of the writers, producers, cast, crew, etc. The director is not a master on set - he's the ultimate servant. He works in service of everyone, trying to give them everything they need to do their best. Then on top of it all, he's expected to be the ultimate Fonzie - calm, cool, collected, and never wrong, at all times.

And don't forget the most important aspect of directing: "Just trying to be a fu**ing collaborator!" :lol:

Sorry, I just could not resist on that one. If I were the crewmember that almost got hit with the flying books when that jerk flipped out, he'd need to get insurance on me. What an egotistical ass. I realize the crew should be subject to the director's will, and keep a low profile on set, but that was totally out of line, and I would have likely flipped out myself if someone threw a temper tantrum whist callously disgreagarding the very existence of the crew around him, which I feel belies an apathy as to those said members' very lives, like they're just disposable nobodies.

#44 Robert Lachenay

Robert Lachenay
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Director

Posted 03 April 2007 - 11:00 AM

On top of all that creative pressure and intense focus for months and years at a time that the director deals with, comes all the responsibilites of the director, including all the handholding and coddling of the writers, producers, cast, crew, etc. The director is not a master on set - he's the ultimate servant. He works in service of everyone, trying to give them everything they need to do their best. Then on top of it all, he's expected to be the ultimate Fonzie - calm, cool, collected, and never wrong, at all times.

Not if he is immensely respected by those he works with. I can absolutely gauruntee you that Spielberg, Scorsese, Von Trier, the late Altman, PT Anderson, Lynch, The Dardennes, Bergman, the late Fellini (especially him...jeezzzz...him and von trier.."don't mess"), etc, etc did hold the position of MASTER once they had become established, which, by this time and by his ability to make a movie so utterly pretentious as "I <3 Huckabees," O. Russel must be. He's a crappy director and (after having watched this), apparently a huge d*ck.

Edited by Robert Lachenay, 03 April 2007 - 11:01 AM.

#45 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 03 April 2007 - 05:08 PM

He may be a huge di ck, but he's also a fu-cking collaborator too, so that makes everything OK!

Sorry, that line just doesn't get old. I fell out of my chair laughing the first time I saw the main clip, then the scene in the car where Ms. Lily Tomlin is in the car and she's hysterical "Fu-ck you! Shut the fu-ck up!" is also fall-on-floor funny, although I can understand why she'd be upset with the guy's temper tantrum.

Boy, if this is what Hollywood is like, I am beginning to doubt my decision to enter this sort of work environment. If you guys are either a.) such big pricks that you think you're the only one that knows what's what on set, or b.) so sleep deprived that you act as if that is the case, I think I am going to go after a more healthylifestyle. That shown in these clips depicts something other than that, a way of living that is probably very prone to early deaths due to heart attacks, and drug abuse. Good God, I honestly couldn't take a working environment like that! And to be on the crew and have to put up with that bullshit! Unbelieveable.

I think someone on this thread speculated that these segments might have been acted. I can tell you, from what I have seen, and I've watched each segment several times, they're definitely NOT acting, although they are "acting spoiled". How can any creativity go on in a collaborative environment like a film set when everyone has such a hugh fuhking ego trip that they can't take the time to listen to one another's imput???

#46 Dennis Kisilyov

Dennis Kisilyov
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Other

Posted 03 April 2007 - 10:14 PM

I loved every second of that video. The crew guy who was getting hit in the head with books, that was kind of bad. O'Russel wrecking his crews work, thats also bad.

Everything else is just stuff that happens during high stress. Though it is remarkable that all the other principle actors are so quiet. Remarkable.

I saw this film and sew me but I liked it alot, and heard O'Russels commentary, and he did not strike me as a dude that would filp like that...

I don't think the car interior shot with Wahlberg in the back ever made it into the film. I wonder...
However the first clip "wide master shot" with the blackboard is in the film :-) Lolz.

Lily does have her feet up on the desk, only during another scene. Prior to Jason's character meeting Dustin.

Funniest thing is O'Russel and Jason during the commentary said ALOT about "Lily and Dustin and how the two are "so wonderful" and how everyone "learned alot".

Great quotes from this. I think this one is best with ....

"Just shoot the f... thing. Shoot it right now..." - 2003 Dustin Hoffman

#47 Algis Kemezys

Algis Kemezys
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Montreal

Posted 04 April 2007 - 08:12 AM

Thanks for sharing those clips with us.....this medium is really getting amazing ReaL ? :unsure:

#48 Robert Lachenay

Robert Lachenay
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Director

Posted 04 April 2007 - 10:31 AM

He may be a huge di ck, but he's also a fu-cking collaborator too, so that makes everything OK!

Sorry, that line just doesn't get old. I fell out of my chair laughing the first time I saw the main clip, then the scene in the car where Ms. Lily Tomlin is in the car and she's hysterical "Fu-ck you! Shut the fu-ck up!" is also fall-on-floor funny, although I can understand why she'd be upset with the guy's temper tantrum.

Boy, if this is what Hollywood is like, I am beginning to doubt my decision to enter this sort of work environment. If you guys are either a.) such big pricks that you think you're the only one that knows what's what on set, or b.) so sleep deprived that you act as if that is the case, I think I am going to go after a more healthylifestyle. That shown in these clips depicts something other than that, a way of living that is probably very prone to early deaths due to heart attacks, and drug abuse. Good God, I honestly couldn't take a working environment like that! And to be on the crew and have to put up with that bullshit! Unbelieveable.

I think someone on this thread speculated that these segments might have been acted. I can tell you, from what I have seen, and I've watched each segment several times, they're definitely NOT acting, although they are "acting spoiled". How can any creativity go on in a collaborative environment like a film set when everyone has such a hugh fuhking ego trip that they can't take the time to listen to one another's imput???

I would dismiss a working environment like that completely if I were an actress as established and utterly esteemed as Lily Tomlin. Regardless of the consequences, if my "director" called me a "c*nt," I would stand up, throw a newspaper in his face, and leave.

Edited by Robert Lachenay, 04 April 2007 - 10:31 AM.

#49 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 04 April 2007 - 04:48 PM

Unfortunately, that is what Hollywood is like. This is an extreme example, but it's not as rare as most people think. If what you've written above is true, then you probably should strongly consider another career. There are plenty of people just like Russell working in this business. They may not show you to your face, but a lot of them will stab you squarely in the back. You have to have very thick skin (something I've struggled with at times) to keep from being hurt by peoples behavior on a day to day basis.
Of course, a lot of this is true in other professions as well.....it's often a nasty world we live in.

#50 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 05 April 2007 - 01:32 AM

You put a group of somewhat egotistical people who have spent their entire lives learning how let their emotions out into a pressure cooker environment like a filmset and add a caltalist like personallity conflicts you're bound to have an explosion or two. This was childishness taken to extreme but it happens to a certain extent on almost every set at one time or another. Don't worry about it. Rarely is there ever gunplay involved.

Funniest thing is O'Russel and Jason during the commentary said ALOT about "Lily and Dustin and how the two are "so wonderful" and how everyone "learned alot".

What's he gonna say, "The woman's a c*nt" and I hate her guts? The woman's an freakin icon, that would be career suicide. It's kinda an unwritten rule in the film industry, you don't bad-mouth your co-workers in public, it's bad for business. B)

#51 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 05 April 2007 - 12:13 PM

I have no problem with emotions flaring, outbursts, etc. I work in two high-pressure environments right now, so it's not as if I can't handle stress. I won't say that I handle stress WELL, but I handle it. . . However, if I have to sit back and put UP with that bullshit, unless I'm the lowest man on the ladder, I don't think Hollywood and I will get along too well. I mean, couldn't the DoP or the 1st AD have said SOMETHING to calm things down instead of just sitting back and letting all hell break loose?

Sure, the guy is everyone's boss, but if he has dictatorial power and infallibility even when he is clearly throwing a temper tantrum, I think posting the video tap tape of the incident is a pretty lenient response from the crew involved.

I guess it is true that this is still unconfirmed. THe resolution of the clip is so low that, at least visually, as I don't know any of the players involved's voices by heart, it could have been anyone staging that. But why would they have? If this is a reenactment or a stunt by anyone other than the crew itself, it is very well done and convincing.

#52 Ken Cangi

Ken Cangi
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Producer
  • Boulder, CO

Posted 05 April 2007 - 01:13 PM

I have no problem with emotions flaring, outbursts, etc. I work in two high-pressure environments right now, so it's not as if I can't handle stress. I won't say that I handle stress WELL, but I handle it. . . However, if I have to sit back and put UP with that bullshit, unless I'm the lowest man on the ladder, I don't think Hollywood and I will get along too well. I mean, couldn't the DoP or the 1st AD have said SOMETHING to calm things down instead of just sitting back and letting all hell break loose?

Sure, the guy is everyone's boss, but if he has dictatorial power and infallibility even when he is clearly throwing a temper tantrum, I think posting the video tap tape of the incident is a pretty lenient response from the crew involved.

I guess it is true that this is still unconfirmed. THe resolution of the clip is so low that, at least visually, as I don't know any of the players involved's voices by heart, it could have been anyone staging that. But why would they have? If this is a reenactment or a stunt by anyone other than the crew itself, it is very well done and convincing.

What distinguishes this from an innocuous tantrum are two things. The first, although still just a word, was his publicly referring to Ms. Tomlim as a c-nt. That was a demonstration of abject disrespect for a member of his cast. The second, which clearly crossed the line, was his physical display of anger. Tossing objects, such as lights, around the set subjected his cast members to possible, physical injury. I am surprised that this idiot hasn't has his ass kicked more often.

Edited by Ken Cangi, 05 April 2007 - 01:14 PM.

#53 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 April 2007 - 04:16 PM

The question that I've been asking myself is that in case there are interviews and/or a making-of on the dvd of the film, will they include the usual backslapping and 'he was such a pleasure to work with'...

#54 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3433 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 April 2007 - 04:51 PM

It seems that it's not that unusual. Ed Zwick & Jan de Bont are both apparently prone to similar behaviour.

There's no excuse - if you have to lose it, do it behind closed doors.

#55 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 06 April 2007 - 12:52 PM

What distinguishes this from an innocuous tantrum are two things. The first, although still just a word, was his publicly referring to Ms. Tomlim as a c-nt. That was a demonstration of abject disrespect for a member of his cast. The second, which clearly crossed the line, was his physical display of anger. Tossing objects, such as lights, around the set subjected his cast members to possible, physical injury. I am surprised that this idiot hasn't has his ass kicked more often.

Far worse, when he tossed objects right at the assistant huddled in fear on the floor. Way out of line. Someone should have kicked his ass, literally.

#56 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 09 April 2007 - 04:55 PM

I mean, couldn't the DoP or the 1st AD have said SOMETHING to calm things down instead of just sitting back and letting all hell break loose?

I guess it is true that this is still unconfirmed.

I think the fact that no one tried to get in the middle of it and stop it is a good indication that this was very common behavior on that set. The other actors didn't even seem that concerned about it until Russell ran onto set going nuts. I think the crew probably had a good feeling that if they tried to stop the tantrum they would be fired. So unless they were going to quit anyway, it probably wasn't the best move to get in the middle of it.

Unconfirmed? It would be a pretty big stretch to try to convince anyone that this was a setup.

#57 Ken Cangi

Ken Cangi
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Producer
  • Boulder, CO

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:06 PM

It would be a pretty big stretch to try to convince anyone that this was a setup.

I agree. My first question in situations like this is: Find the motive. I just can't see any value - publicity or otherwise - in releasing material like this. The only thing that would make sense is that this was a tactic for provoking a certain emotional mood among the cast members and that the footage was never meant to leave the set.

Edited by Ken Cangi, 09 April 2007 - 05:07 PM.

#58 Daniel Smith

Daniel Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 May 2007 - 05:21 PM

Both as bad as each other. Too bigger ego's for one set. And as for Lily Tomlin attacking Dustin Hoffman... what was she thinking.

#59 Tom Lowe

Tom Lowe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1211 posts
  • Director
  • somewhere worshipping Terrence Malick

Posted 26 June 2007 - 07:55 PM

O'Russel's behavior is a total disgrace in that video, IMO. What a spoiled, whiny little jerk.

#60 Tom Bays

Tom Bays
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Producer
  • Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 27 June 2007 - 03:22 PM

And That's the Truth

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

Paralinx LLC