Lars.Erik
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Oslo

Posted 20 December 2005 - 09:02 AM

Hey there friends,

We should really have our own section for lenses. Don't you think?

Anyhow, I've been searching for the tv zoom lenses that breathes the least. So far I think Fujinon exceeds Canon on this subject. But there are several other brands out there. Do you have any thouhgts on this and which brand do you prefer?

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 20156 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 20 December 2005 - 11:15 AM

Both Fujinon & Canon made an ENG & Cine-style HD zoom that breathes less than their others, but I can never remember the name, something in the 7.5-150mm-ish range, like the others. It's confusing -- I always have to ask either a Fujinon or Canon rep which lens it is, or the rental house, or check myself. Not every rental house has that zoom.

I think the Canon one is the newer 21x/7.5. Like I said, both make lenses in a similar range which breathe horribly, hence why you have to find out if the rental house has the one that doesn't.

The 5.5-50mm-ish zooms from either tend not to breathe much though.

The larger "E-Series" Fujinon's and the Ang. Optimo HD zoom doesn't breathe, or hardly does, same as the Panavision Digital Primo zooms.

#3 cineshooter

cineshooter
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • NY

Posted 20 December 2005 - 02:00 PM

I have the cannon HD 21X lens (HJ21x7.5B) and out of all the video zoom lenses i have come across i am the happiest with this particular lens, the front element is large (I think 127mm) and it will make a video camera very front heavy, but the breathing is much better than other video lenes I've had. Another thing I will do is when I need to rack my focus I'll try and use the macro this way I have no breathing, of coarse it can't always work. From my own experiences I've never been happy with Fujinon lenses, Ive always felt them to be a little flat or mushy, but hey maybe I never got my hands on really good Fuji glass. Good luck and I'd love to hear other opinions.

JD
www.cineshooter.com

#4 Fernando Senosiain

Fernando Senosiain

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 20 December 2005 - 03:23 PM

I matched my Panasonic SDX900 with a Fujinon HA18x7.6 lens. For my needs and budget, its a good fit. I am sure that there are lenses that breathe less, but I am happy with the pictures that I make with this combo.

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Abel Cine

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

CineTape