Photo

Sunlight: What should I know to get consistent lighting throughout the day?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mario A. Peraza

Mario A. Peraza

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles

Posted 09 January 2019 - 04:04 PM

So I'm scouting for a short film me and a buddy are planning on filming and we like his best friend's backyard. We learned that the sun gives off some really crazy vibes with the colors throughout the day. It's an open area but has tons of shading. Like in the morning it looks very cool, in the noon like normal daylight, but as soon as it hits the 2pm mark it quickly goes to warm and the entire area is lit up by the sun set.

So imagine a ~20'x20' small backyard with trees covering the top and has less branches/leaves near the west side, almost open and it allows so much direct light in.

What are ways we can make the most of our day without compromising continuity, and do we have to stick with the 4 hour limit we have? What would you guys do?

#2 aapo lettinen

aapo lettinen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts
  • Other
  • Finland

Posted 10 January 2019 - 02:53 AM

if the backyard is really that small 20'x20' you could cover it entirely with a diffusion frame from the top to blend the variations during the day and then do continuous artificial 'sunlight' with an HMI under the frame. 

#3 Mario A. Peraza

Mario A. Peraza

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 January 2019 - 05:05 PM

Would it make sense to reflect the light from underneath the tarp with a panel instead? Since I'm spreading light around to mimic sunlight

#4 aapo lettinen

aapo lettinen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts
  • Other
  • Finland

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:38 AM

Would it make sense to reflect the light from underneath the tarp with a panel instead? Since I'm spreading light around to mimic sunlight

probably doable if you are prepared to adjust the shiny boards every couple of minutes. 

if going for a VERY flat look you could maybe use matte surface bounce (styrofoam/kapa type) to bounce the real sunlight coming from above through the diffusion. 

I personally would still use the large HMI so that continuous adjustments are not needed every take to try to control the changing hard natural light. If there is a open view behind the backyard lit by actual sunlight you will want to be able to boost the light levels under the frame so additional light will be needed anyway

Edited by aapo lettinen, 11 January 2019 - 04:41 AM.

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment