Photo

Interviews with Roger Deakins (Blade Runner 2049) and Erik Messerschmidt (Mindhunter)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Mulcahey

Matt Mulcahey
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 27 October 2017 - 04:31 PM

Wanted to share these interviews I did recently for Filmmaker Magazine - one with Roger Deakins about Blade Runner 2049 and the other with gaffer-turned-dp Erik Messerschmidt about his work on the Netflix series Mindhunter.

#2 Justin Hayward

Justin Hayward
  • Sustaining Members
  • 928 posts
  • Director
  • Chicago, IL.

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:05 AM

Great interviews, thanks for posting.  I gotta check out Mindhunter.  Looks great.

#3 John Allardice

John Allardice
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles

Posted 18 November 2017 - 03:49 PM

It's a little unfair that Chrisopher Probst only gets a brief mention for Mindhunter, as he set the look of the whole series, with the Fincher-directed episodes 1 & 2

Edited by John Allardice, 18 November 2017 - 03:51 PM.

#4 KH Martin

KH Martin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Other
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:16 AM

It's a little unfair that Chrisopher Probst only gets a brief mention for Mindhunter, as he set the look of the whole series, with the Fincher-directed episodes 1 & 2

Well, so far as I know, Probst wasn't even available for interviews -- Netflix certainly never gave any indication. (And I"m pretty sure Probst only did part of ep2, as Messerschmidt's rep indicated he did part of 2 as well as the remaining 8.)

Shoot, for the cover piece in DV on MINDHUNTER, I had to do my Messerschmidt interview by email, not even by phone, and well before ever seeing the show, so I was just having to send generic questions and talkpoints based only on the trailer and my knowledge of Fincher from having covered FIGHT CLUB and BUTTON. Not exactly ideal conditions.

#5 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3071 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 19 November 2017 - 07:52 PM

Unless most of the major locations are seen in the first episodes, I don't think it's fair to say that Christopher Probst  'set the look', and Erik Messerschmidt just followed along. From what I've heard about Fincher shoots, it's him that sets the look, not the DP anyway.

Wooden Camera

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine