Photo

Can anyone explain how the hell it was done?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 June 2007 - 01:58 PM

This one was easy to figure out, there is a scene like this that totally puzzles me, it's from Fallen Angels, Wong Kar Wai, a couple are sitting at a bar, they are in slow-mo, and the background is accelerated... It looks like it's done in camera, but the only way to do this would be to have the talents act very slow... And that's not what they did, you can see it when they are blinking, they are in actual camera slow-mo, maybe 90fps, and the background is maybe 12fps... It's really weird... If anyone knows what sequence I am refering to, please post a link to it...I tried finding it on youtube but could not..

C

I don't know the scene but could it be a com posite or a projected background?

#22 Gus Sacks

Gus Sacks
  • Sustaining Members
  • 287 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 16 July 2007 - 05:00 PM

This one was easy to figure out, there is a scene like this that totally puzzles me, it's from Fallen Angels, Wong Kar Wai, a couple are sitting at a bar, they are in slow-mo, and the background is accelerated... It looks like it's done in camera, but the only way to do this would be to have the talents act very slow... And that's not what they did, you can see it when they are blinking, they are in actual camera slow-mo, maybe 90fps, and the background is maybe 12fps... It's really weird... If anyone knows what sequence I am refering to, please post a link to it...I tried finding it on youtube but could not..

C

Are you talking about the shot where water is sliding down the foreground in the frame? At least that's what it looked like to me. I still have yet to figure that sequence out. If I could meet Chris Doyle (which I might later this year) that's the one question I would ask him.

It looked like more of a shutter manipulation than a frame rate.

#23 CJ Henke III

CJ Henke III
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:15 PM

Reguardless you need to film twice as much footage and splice it together, but here are some other ways of doing it.

1, A Program called Twixtor allows you to change the frame rate of your project in a way which they call (Variable Speed)

You can separate the footage by creating a mask around the part that you want to speed up in After Effects. As long as the camera is on a tri-pod, you can do this fairly simplily. Make the mask around your target that you want to slow down, and track his motion to keep the mask on him. Then you can duplicate the footage and play one side faster than the other.

#24 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 12318 posts
  • Other

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:41 PM

I happen to know that the shot outside Ralph's was done on nothing more spectacular than a GL1

I'm sure Mr. Worth would be pleased to know he's the subject of such attention.

Phil

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

CineTape

Technodolly