#21 Thomas Luca

Thomas Luca
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Director
  • Hunterdon County, New Jersey

Posted 09 February 2018 - 06:43 AM

Not a problem. I'm happy I could help. Although I would strongly recommend setting everything up in doors in a controlled environment or studio or warehouse. You don't want any gusts of wind to ruin your shots plus can't control weather outside anyway so make sure it's all inside. You can use a fan, wind machine or even waft the direction of the billowing smoke with a sheet of cardboard. And utilising this technique can be done in almost any POV, you just have to do the research and calculations to get it spot on for the scene. It may take the better part of the day to complete but it will look beautiful. I wish you all the best to nailing the shot!

#22 Thomas Luca

Thomas Luca
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Director
  • Hunterdon County, New Jersey

Posted 09 February 2018 - 06:49 AM

Oh, here's a video I found that will definitely help. It's some of the masters of miniature effects in Hollywood history so you can't go wrong learning a thing or two from this video.

#23 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7496 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 09 February 2018 - 08:35 AM

I really miss that show (movie magic) not to mention all the practical FXs of old.

#24 Doug Palmer

Doug Palmer
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 09 February 2018 - 05:10 PM

I really miss that show (movie magic) not to mention all the practical FXs of old.

Yes me too.  Amazing how the focus was held in those 35mm forced perspective movies. They must have pined for 16mm to get some more depth !

And thanks again Thomas for your helpful points. I guess the ideal situation for adding smoke/fire would be to have it near the entrance of a warehouse or hangar, sky behind. Otherwise I guess you'd have to use a big cyclorama or something.  Still pondering, but I reckon I'll probably go for the projected smoke mainly.  My ship is quite small scale 1/35 and I don't want the camera too close to give the game away, so wide-angles only. Although I'm planning to make a more detailed stern portion at about 1/12, and this could be better for doing forced perspective from a lowish angle, and if so I'd like to put some people up there on deck. Maybe find a suitable mound or structure for them somewhere.... 

I'm avoiding the sea at all times, except for backgrounds and for night shots probably, hoping to project the bow wave onto the 1/35 boat.

Edited by Doug Palmer, 09 February 2018 - 05:18 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: smoke, miniature, ship

Metropolis Post

Willys Widgets

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineTape

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products