Photo

BMCC EF vs Sony A7s for a feature film with a lot of night shoots?

BMCC Sony A7s night shooting low light

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 12 February 2016 - 02:38 PM

So David, how did the film turn out?

#22 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4192 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 13 February 2016 - 01:50 PM

...I just wanted to say - I have had jobs on the A7s for doc style interview and I know some people who have shot low budget features on them.

A7s picture looks to me far superior to Black Magic- especially in circumstances where you have limited control of lighting. the latitude is stronger and color rendering has more depth. Surprised by some of the the posts here - I'm not the only one with this opinion.

I'd recommended going online and looking at all of the footage out there.

Well, I mean the A7S doesn't shoot raw and unless you use an external recorder, it doesn't record 10 bit 422 either. So watching footage online doesn't do anything. In fact, I have yet to make any of my blackmagic footage look "acceptable" online. When you shoot in raw, process for DCP export and project using a modern digital cinema projector, the blackmagic cameras blow the doors off the A7S. I work in post production, I've had to color from shots captured with every camera you can imagine. So I know what the sony MPEG cameras can do in post production and honestly, I'm completely unimpressed. That's why I bought the blackmagic and swear by their workflow. They make "cinema" cameras and like film cameras, they are very limited in their feature set, but that's because they've focused all their energy on developing a camera that does one thing really good... capture a 24fps image at 800ASA. That's what the camera does very well and it does it in a very cinematic way. If you don't want a cinematic looking image, then you can buy a Sony MPEG camera all you want.

#23 David Peterson

David Peterson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Auckland, New Zealand.

Posted 05 June 2016 - 06:09 PM

Film was delayed... but we will finally be shooting it in a couple of months. Probably with my Sony PMW-F3 + BMPCC

#24 David Peterson

David Peterson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Auckland, New Zealand.

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:26 AM

We ended up shooting an entire scene with a Sony F55 in 4K raw, with the intention to put that together as a piece to then attract together further interest/funding to then go ahead to produce then entire feature film at once. But i kinda feel that is still a long way away.....  (as you can tell perhaps from how far apart these posts are spaced out!)

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam

CineLab

FJS International, LLC