Photo

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K - CONFIRMED! BMPCC 4K!

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 aapo lettinen

aapo lettinen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1138 posts
  • Other
  • Finland

Posted 11 April 2018 - 05:10 PM

I will surely get one at some point, would be handy for plates and stuff.

is there any info yet how much the body actually weights and which batteries fit to it & how much run time per battery?

could be very usable as a drone camera I think when the weight is confirmed.

would not trust a Blackmagic product as a A camera unless there is enough time to continuously check the material on set and reshoot if needed. my impression of their products is that they are nice on paper and innovative and handy but they have lots of build quality problems and mechanical design faults (connectors not secured to the body etc which may lead to internal damage if having stress on the connectors, etc) . faulty touchscreens and stuff . firmware related stuff also but not more than with other manufacturers I think.

Like buying Maxtor/Seagate portable drives... they work and are kind of good but they are not just very high quality overall and are not as sturdy as better brands, just about OK for the price :blink:

The new pocket will be great value even if it's not super high quality or reliable or has image problems like noise and jellocam etc.

The manufacturer has had lots of delivery problems before (I think there was 1 or 1.5 year delay with the original Cinema Camera release and also long delays with the other later models) so I would not expect it to deliver this year though I hope it will :lol:

#42 Landon D. Parks

Landon D. Parks
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1918 posts
  • Producer
  • West Chester Township, Ohio

Posted 11 April 2018 - 07:35 PM

is there any info yet how much the body actually weights and which batteries fit to it & how much run time per battery?

Battery is standard Canon LP-E6, same as the BMPCC. They say up to 60 minutes, but that is probably without using the screen and not providing phantom power. With both, you'll probably get 20-30 recording minutes. In terms of battery, this camera will suffer from the same issue the original did - it will need external power for any serious shoots. 

Can't find an official weight yet --- but that is likely because they don't know yet. The body currently used is aluminum I believe, but the production model will be some form of carbon fiber. I'd say its probably on par with every other DSLR out there - around a pound. 

could be very usable as a drone camera I think when the weight is confirmed.

Ehhh - possibility, but the low batter life and current lack of external control might not make it the best for that. Of course, things may change in 6 months.

would not trust a Blackmagic product as a A camera unless there is enough time to continuously check the material on set and reshoot if needed. my impression of their products is that they are nice on paper and innovative and handy but they have lots of build quality problems and mechanical design faults (connectors not secured to the body etc which may lead to internal damage if having stress on the connectors, etc) . faulty touchscreens and stuff . firmware related stuff also but not more than with other manufacturers I think.

Of all the complaints I have toward Blackmagic, I don't think reliability is one of them. There camera's all feature some trade-offs to get to the price point, but I haven't heard of any Blackmagic cameras randomly pooping out - at least in large numbers. Maybe there is more problems than I can recall right now, but I'd have no problem using a Blackmagic cameras as an A-cam. 

I currently have my two micro cinema cameras out on a longer-term rental with a company that is shooting with them 12 hour days, and has not reported any problems with them so far.

Like buying Maxtor/Seagate portable drives... they work and are kind of good but they are not just very high quality overall and are not as sturdy as better brands, just about OK for the price :blink:

The best drives for this, right now, are the Samsung t5 500GB-2TB portal USB-C drives. Small, portable, and plugs directly into USB-C. Starts at $150 for the 500GB variant. 

The manufacturer has had lots of delivery problems before (I think there was 1 or 1.5 year delay with the original Cinema Camera release and also long delays with the other later models) so I would not expect it to deliver this year though I hope it will :lol:

Yes, BUT they have been getting better with each subsequent camera. I don't think its fair to point back to the original Blackmagic camera and use that as reasons why a major delay is possible. All camera manufacturers have early-life delivery issues. How long did it take RED to deliver their first Red One, despite promised dates being missed?

The past few cameras have been released more or less on-time, but there has been a back-order problem.

Also, they mentioned at NAB the reason they are saying September is be conservative, so as not to disappoint. Apparently, the cameras are ready for manufacture right now. My guess is they want a sufficiently large supply so they don't have a back-order issue again. By 'releasing' the camera at NAB they can gauge interest in the next few months and ramp production accordingly --- smart move on their part.

Edited by Landon D. Parks, 11 April 2018 - 07:36 PM.

#43 Bruce Greene

Bruce Greene
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 April 2018 - 01:47 PM

Body looks like a Fuji 120 Rangefinder...the Texas Leica...

6017215629_ea24f0ab91_b.jpg

Can my Fuji 6x9 cameras shoot movies too?  If they did, it would be IMAX quality!!!!

#44 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4135 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 April 2018 - 04:16 PM

I've had zero problems with Blackmagic reliability... Yes the old pocket had a few bugaboos but all of them were easy to fix 

#45 Macks Fiiod

Macks Fiiod
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1360 posts
  • Director
  • Og from DC, Now in NJ

Posted 12 April 2018 - 04:51 PM

I've had zero problems with Blackmagic reliability... Yes the old pocket had a few bugaboos but all of them were easy to fix 

The biggest bugaboo was no buttonaboos

#46 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4135 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 April 2018 - 05:17 PM

The biggest bugaboo was no buttonaboos

Naaa I had zero problems with that. My problem was the bottom tripod mount would come loose after repeated use and I'd have to disassemble the camera and tighten it 

#47 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7393 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:44 AM

Biggest problems I had was changing noise pattern and over-heating pixels when the thing was running for a long time.

FJS International, LLC

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post

CineTape

CineLab

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc