David Sekanina
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Other
  • Zurich

Posted 06 April 2017 - 01:16 PM

Hello Moises,

Slight delay, as won't start CNC machining the almost 50 parts before May, because I'll be in Asia for two weeks. But that's just the first machined prototype of probably 4-5 prototype iterations, each one taking 4-6 weeks.

If the last prototype performs like I planned, only then will I consider manufacturing a limited edition of just 8 cameras.

Best

David

#44 Moises Perez

Moises Perez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:41 PM

David,

Thank you for your response, please let me know if there is anything I can help you with.

Best,

MOY

#45 David Sekanina

David Sekanina
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Other
  • Zurich

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:11 AM

Hello

Do any of the S16 Optar Illuminas protrude more than 36mm inwards? The 8mm does not. Thinking of buying a set.

Thank you in advance

Attached Images

• OPTAR_8mm.jpg
  • 36.JPG

#46 Nicholas Kovats

Nicholas Kovats
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Shoot film! facebook.com/UltraPan8WidescreenFilm

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:37 PM

Great to see your posting, David! 

I do not have an answer to your question, However, your CAD appears to display a PL Mount cut out. Is this correct? Are you attempting to accommodate the widest angle PL mount lens possible in your design regarding the farthest rear element? 

Have you considered the cheaper R16 format Angenieux 5.9mm in Arriflex Bayonet in your testing? It might be one of the cheaper ultrawide R16 format lens available at a fair price for your targeted users. Not quite the same idea but I utilize the 5.9mm in conjunction with a Cameflex/Bolex Bayonet adapter with my Bolex H16/H8 ultrawide screen hybrid camera which utilizes the full 16mm width of the R8 film format (special R16 perfs) with the classic 8mm pulldown. In other words I shoot the optical center of standard 16mm optics such as the Angenieux 5.9mm, e.g. 

But note that there will a slight magnification using R16 optics with a Super 8 camera. And i would be fine with that as a potential user of your camera. How goes your prototype testing? 

Edited by Nicholas Kovats, 22 January 2018 - 04:37 PM.

#47 David Sekanina

David Sekanina
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Other
  • Zurich

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:44 AM

Thank you Nicholas

With the manufacturing cost of the Y8, there's no target user apart from me (and maybe a few rental houses). It's an interesting project to work on and a test bed for a simpler, compact Y16.

#48 Nicholas Kovats

Nicholas Kovats
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 23 January 2018 - 04:19 PM

Those are potentially very lucky rental houses. A new compact 16mm camera as per your proposed Y16 project is a fantastic idea. Is your Jan 21 posting in fact a snapshot of the Y16 cam? Are your designing interoperability between Y8 and Y18 camera projects? e.g. optical viewfinder? 

#49 David Sekanina

David Sekanina
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Other
  • Zurich

Posted 12 August 2018 - 07:03 AM

the viewfinder needs another iteration but the mechanical engineering of the main body is done :)

Y8_14.jpg

#50 Nicholas Kovats

Nicholas Kovats
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 12 August 2018 - 12:56 PM

Congratulations, David! Looks fantastic. And interest in expanding beyond a few cameras? 

#51 David Sekanina

David Sekanina
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Other
  • Zurich

Posted 12 August 2018 - 01:12 PM

Hi Nicholas

with close to 300 CNC milled and lathed parts, the manufacturing cost is astronomical for a S8 camera, so I highly doubt there is much interest beyond a limited run of 8 cameras.

#52 Pavan Deep

Pavan Deep
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • UK

Posted 12 August 2018 - 01:18 PM

This looks great, but I am really excited that I think you mention there might be a simpler, compact Y16.

Pav

#53 Nicholas Kovats

Nicholas Kovats
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 12 August 2018 - 03:17 PM

Understood, David. But you might be surprised by the hardcore. Rental has deeper pockets but there are a few well heeled Super 8 filmmakers out there. But just look at the number of buyers for current Arri cameras. Where there is a will there is financing. :) 

#54 Philip Kral

Philip Kral
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 13 August 2018 - 01:38 PM

I agree with Nicholas. Even if you make a limited run, they're sure to sell out. This reminds me a lot of the Logmar S8 camera. The first few where 3500.00 dollars, which seemed expensive, but after seeing that Kodak's new camera at nearly the same price with less features- it may be the best deal. Maybe even best price still when the logmar jumped to the 5,000.00 price.

The other thing your camera has going for it, is the mechanical viewfinder. If I'm going to spend a few thousand on a super8 camera, it's going to be the last camera I ever buy in that format. I have to know the thing's going to last. I've had enough digital screens die out on me to fear a camera where that's the only view finding option, I could probably find a way to re cell the batteries in the next 20 years, but that screen and the internal sensor? Maybe I'm just being paranoid. But your camera seems like a solid idea, limited run or not. To include the Y16.

Speaking of which, I have an Optar Illumina in 25mm, I got the back end protruding 35mm but not 36mm. Yours appears to be in PL mount, mine is in Arri B if that makes a difference.

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam