6 replies to this topic

#1 Webster C

Webster C
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 February 2006 - 03:04 PM

Just bought a really nice Canon 814 Auto Zoom Electronic on ebay for a good price, BUT (as is usually the case with these ebay buys) there's a problem... with fresh batteries, the trigger seems to work only intermittently. Press it down, it doesn't go... but I've found that if I point the camera straight up and press the trigger, it activates consistently. Same is true in single frame mode and 18, 24, same result also with the trigger release. Any ideas? Has anyone else had this problem?

I'm entering the Straight 8 film festival and I wanted to upgrade from my old Yashica Electro 8 to a camera that would meter the 64T correctly (and have a nice lens) without spending a bundle.

Maybe I'll just make a movie about clouds.

Support Cinematography.com and buy gear using our Amazon links!
PANASONIC LUMIX GH5 Body 4K Mirrorless Camera, 20.3 Megapixels, Dual I.S. 2.0, 4K 422 10-bit, Full Size HDMI Out, 3 Inch Touch LCD, DC-GH5KBODY (USA Black)

#2 Webster C

Webster C
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Other

Posted 16 February 2006 - 02:36 AM

The Canon is still acting weird, I've found at least one other person who has encountered oddities with the Canon's trigger. But I managed to fix an old Minolta XL-401, and I wanted to get an opinion from the experts here... If the Minolta XL-401 runs at 18fps with a 220 degree shutter, then I would estimate the exposure time to be about 1/50th? Anyone know if the single frame exposure time is the same?

I'm going to shoot a test roll anyway...

#3 Ian Marks

Ian Marks
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2006 - 03:47 PM

From your comments, it sounds like the problem might be something as simple (and repairable) as an electrical connection within the grip. The 814E is such a great camera, it's definitely worth fixing. I would definitely favor it over the Minolta, especially if the Minolta doesn't run at 24fps. In the meantime, maybe you could use a cable release to operate the Canon?

#4 mik

mik

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other

Posted 16 February 2006 - 08:10 PM

360 x 18 / 220 = 29,45 ----> 1/30 sec.
i think single frame should be the same.

mine had same problem with batteries, i've done nothing and camera started to work... i think you can check batteries compartment.

mik

Edited by mik, 16 February 2006 - 08:11 PM.

#5 Webster C

Webster C
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 February 2006 - 05:44 PM

[quote name='mik' date='Feb 16 2006, 05:10 PM' post='90994']
360 x 18 / 220 = 29,45 ----> 1/30 sec.

Thanks Mik!

Ian, I get the same result with the cable release. And the motorized zoom works (as well as the battery check) so it's not something quite as simple as the battery connections - but I'll double check. I'm planning on sending it out to be fixed - either to http://www.ijmincorporated.com, or to http://www.super8stuff.com

Anyone have suggestions on a good camera tech?

#6 Mike Crane

Mike Crane
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 18 February 2006 - 01:08 PM

You could try Spectra. The specialize in Canon repair and did a great job on my camera. But, keep in mind that they sometimes take a while due to back-up. spectrafilmandvideo.com

#7 Kirk Billingsley

Kirk Billingsley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Other
  • Milwaukee

Posted 03 June 2017 - 12:04 AM

This is an easy fix. I have fixed this issue many times before. There are three possibilities.

Send it to Spectra or Pro 8 and pay out of your nose. Or send it to me and pay a fair amount. I have fixed over 600 Canon 814 A's D's , 1014's and others These are really very easy to work on, the problem is time and money. I purchased junk Canon Supers and Nikons to do one thing, open them up and see how they work. That and sending away for every Canon Super, Scoopic , Nikon R8, R10, Elmo 600 and 1000 series top line and a few Bauer as well. They are not cheap,$36 includes shipping for OTC in Britain. I;m in the U.S. I have a real job but my hobby (nightly) is fixing Super 8 and 16mm cameras.

Spectra and Pro8 are excellent at what they do but they have overhead. I have my shop in my home. I offer advice, or how to's for the simplest repairs. 

Most folks and rightly so are too afraid of opening up their cams as they should be. But if you have the right tools, are patient and can follow directions many fixes can be done on your own.

KIRK B.

personaleyesoptical@gmail.com

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

The Slider

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Visual Products

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc