27 replies to this topic

#21 Gunleik Groven

Gunleik Groven
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 07 November 2008 - 06:01 PM

What does this mean for Origin and Evolution? I'm planning to shoot a feature on both once I get funding for it...but that's most likely a year or two off.

Probably means that when the day rises, you'll have a ton of options, but very few branded DALSA.

4 years, that's like... a lot in digital terms :)

Support Cinematography.com and buy gear using our Amazon links!
PANASONIC LUMIX GH5 Body 4K Mirrorless Camera, 20.3 Megapixels, Dual I.S. 2.0, 4K 422 10-bit, Full Size HDMI Out, 3 Inch Touch LCD, DC-GH5KBODY (USA Black)

#22 Andrew McCarrick

Andrew McCarrick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Other
  • Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA

Posted 17 February 2009 - 12:10 PM

Probably means that when the day rises, you'll have a ton of options, but very few branded DALSA.

4 years, that's like... a lot in digital terms :)

Anybody know if the Dalsa Camera bodies are available for rent from somebody?

#23 Illya Friedman

Illya Friedman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Industry Rep

Posted 03 March 2009 - 03:26 AM

Anybody know if the Dalsa Camera bodies are available for rent from somebody?

Two Evolution bodies are on hold/standby for a studio project that started shooting with them last year. Despite the many inquiries I've received about availability, AFAIK DALSA has made no concrete or public plans to rent them to anyone else.

A shame really, several high profile jobs were lining up for Evo cameras in 2009. Unless something remarkable and unexpected happens, all will end up shooting on another film or digital imaging format.

I.

#24 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 March 2009 - 02:33 PM

Yes, it really is a shame. Paramount closed their camera department, too. So, no more VistaVision. What are the feature guys gonna use for plates now?

It would be good both for Hollywood and for Dalsa if they'd put the existing cameras into the hands of a local rental house -- cut their losses, but still get a little income. If I were Dalsa, I'd sure be making my first phone call to Denny Clairmont.

-- J.S.

#25 Andrew McCarrick

Andrew McCarrick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:42 AM

A shame really, several high profile jobs were lining up for Evo cameras in 2009. Unless something remarkable and unexpected happens, all will end up shooting on another film or digital imaging format.

yeah... I was hoping to shoot with them some time soon... Really want to get the uncompressed format. The only other 4k (35mm) cam. is Red and they seem dead set against an uncompressed feature on any of their cameras.

#26 Andrew McCarrick

Andrew McCarrick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:50 AM

yeah... I was hoping to shoot with them some time soon... Really want to get the uncompressed format. The only other 4k (35mm) cam. is Red and they seem dead set against an uncompressed feature on any of their cameras.

Also, the DC division was sold off to Arri, right? What was the agreement between Arri and Dalsa... Is Dalsa prohibited from starting a New DC division, and restarting the Origin and Evolution rentals?

#27 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19382 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 March 2009 - 01:17 AM

Also, the DC division was sold off to Arri, right? What was the agreement between Arri and Dalsa... Is Dalsa prohibited from starting a New DC division, and restarting the Origin and Evolution rentals?

No, the deal for ARRI to license Dalsa technology fell through... and why would Dalsa be able to start a new Digital Cinema division now when the old one couldn't support itself???

#28 Andrew McCarrick

Andrew McCarrick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 March 2009 - 01:21 AM

No, the deal for ARRI to license Dalsa technology fell through... and why would Dalsa be able to start a new Digital Cinema division now when the old one couldn't support itself???

If there's enough interest in the use of it.... I mean they basically built the Evolution, then closed up shop. The Evolution being lighter, I'm sure will attract more people. They never even gave it a chance to get out there.

Pro 8mm

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks