New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Best Boy
  • fff

Posted 24 December 2016 - 07:53 PM

Hi everyone,

First of all, my name is Zranfisco, and I’m new in this world.

A few days ago I found my grandfather’s old super 8 camera (a Yashica super 825), and I have not idea of how to use it, what cartridge I have to buy and things like that.

So I was looking for information in internet when I reached to your forum, and I think that I could find the help that I need, I want to be a regular super 8 user. For example, I have already found the Wein Cell’s battery that substitutes old mercury 1.3V batteries.

I think that my most important question is: What cartridges I can use? The camera was with a Kodachrome 40D, but internet say’s that now is impossible to process it.

Thank you

PD: more information about the camera

YASHICA SUPER-825

-marketed in 1969-70

-silent super 8 cartridge

-lens: Yashinon Zoom f: 1.8 \ F: 12-30 mm

-zooming ratio: 2.5x

-focusing: fixed

-zooming: manual

-filter size: 43 mm

-viewfinder: single-lens reflex with adjustable eyepiece

-viewfinder information: f/stop meter

-exposure: auto exposure control; TTL EE, CdS photocell

-EE lock: yes

-film speed: auto for 25/40 and 100/160 ASA (daylight/tungsten)

-CCA filter: built-in 85A filter; with filter switch; automatic cancelation with dylight cartridge or with -----filter key

-filming speed: 18 fps

-shutter opening angle: <180 degrees

-sound: no

-remote control socket: no

-cable release socket: no

-movie light socket: kodak type

-film counter: 1-15 m

-handle: retractable, chamber for penlight batteries

-battery check button: yes

-film drive motor: DC micromotor

-power source: 4 x AA batteries \ 1 x 1.3V button cell for light meter

-weight: circa 1000 g

-dimensions: 55 x 125 x 195 mm \ 55 x 230 x 195 mm

-tripod socket: 1/4"

-made in Japan by Cosina

yashica_super_825.jpg

Source: http://www.filmkorn.org/super8data/database/cameras_list/cameras_yashica/cameras_yashica.htm

#2 Heikki Repo

Heikki Repo
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Director
  • Finland

Posted 25 December 2016 - 07:04 AM

Hi Francisco,

are you looking to project your films or to edit them on your computer? At the moment there are only few reversal film options -- that is, films you can watch with a projector after processing them.

With your camera, for projecting your best bet would probably be Tri-X black and white film.

If you are looking to edit your films on a computer, you could buy Vision3 negative film -- both 50D (for outdoors and lots of light) and 200T (balanced for incandescent light / halogen, faster film -- can be used outdoors and corrected with a filter or in color grading on your computer) would be your best option.

The problem with your camera is that it only supports film speeds of 40/160. Tri-X comes close to 160 so it won't be too much overexposed. 50D and 200T like a little overexposure, so as they are interpreted by the camera to be 40 and 160 they'll work well.

I suggest you test the camera functions without film first. These are all old cameras (Kodak is bringing out a new super-8 camera next Spring though) and film&processing does cost money, so try to choose the cheapest route to test the basic functions: does the motor turn, does the lighting meter react to different light levels...

#3 Francisco Sanfeliu Escuder

Francisco Sanfeliu Escuder

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Best Boy
  • fff

Posted 25 December 2016 - 07:07 PM

Hi Francisco,

are you looking to project your films or to edit them on your computer? At the moment there are only few reversal film options -- that is, films you can watch with a projector after processing them.

With your camera, for projecting your best bet would probably be Tri-X black and white film.

If you are looking to edit your films on a computer, you could buy Vision3 negative film -- both 50D (for outdoors and lots of light) and 200T (balanced for incandescent light / halogen, faster film -- can be used outdoors and corrected with a filter or in color grading on your computer) would be your best option.

The problem with your camera is that it only supports film speeds of 40/160. Tri-X comes close to 160 so it won't be too much overexposed. 50D and 200T like a little overexposure, so as they are interpreted by the camera to be 40 and 160 they'll work well.

I suggest you test the camera functions without film first. These are all old cameras (Kodak is bringing out a new super-8 camera next Spring though) and film&processing does cost money, so try to choose the cheapest route to test the basic functions: does the motor turn, does the lighting meter react to different light levels...

Hi Heikki,

Thanks a lot for your help. I am looking to edit my films on the computer. I think that I'm going to buy Vision3 50D, because I want to film outside, during the day, but first I'm going to check the basic functions of the camera, as you advised me.

Thank you again.

Francisco

#4 Danny Nguyen

Danny Nguyen

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Digital Image Technician
  • Los Angeles

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:12 PM

Hey Francisco,

The first thing you should always do is shoot a test roll, I highly recommend shooting a roll of B/W Tri-X since it's a cheap stock to buy and process, Before actually investing in a telecine always contact your lab to provide a camera report before digitizing. In terms of labs I been very pleased with Spectra Film and Video in North Hollywood, they process B/W Reversal, Color Neg, and even E6! They have a lot of experience with Super 8 and will be able to provide you with all the information needed to ensure you have the best experience with Super 8. Good luck! 

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Serious Gear

Abel Cine

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

CineLab

Wooden Camera

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio