#21 David Rakoczy

David Rakoczy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:27 AM

I used a Dino (to wrap morning sunlight) about 50ft away from a group of Talent... there were no multiple shadows. I used the Dinos for the entire feature and never saw multiple shadows. I remember we hung a bunch of them around a HUGE Cruise Liner Set (shot by Bob Gantz, starring John Cleese for Minolta). There were no multiple shadows and there were at least 8 Dinos in use (ya, they needed a deep stop for the lens they were using).

#22 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 January 2010 - 03:10 PM

I used a Dino (to wrap morning sunlight) about 50ft away from a group of Talent... there were no multiple shadows.

Yup, when you back them off far enough to really look like sunlight, the multiple shadows get way too small to read. One thing that really bugs me is the classic sunlight thru venetian blinds done with the source so close that the diverging shadows give it away.

-- J.S.

#23 Jamie Metzger

Jamie Metzger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco

Posted 15 January 2010 - 12:11 AM

Condor with the 6K = much more flexibility. Start off with a spot lens and add diff as needed. If you only have that small doorway to content with, the 6k should be fine.

Someone mentioned building a set....always a good thought.

Ps... those ruby lights look sweet as well!

Posted Image

4K with medium lens 20-30' away. The Center of the light was hitting more of the building than the windows and it was still super bright!

#24 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 January 2010 - 02:51 AM

Yup, when you back them off far enough to really look like sunlight, the multiple shadows get way too small to read. One thing that really bugs me is the classic sunlight thru venetian blinds done with the source so close that the diverging shadows give it away.

-- J.S.

Agreed, I generally can see it in the small objects that are casting shadows from the multiple lamp fixtures (as you mention: blinds, or latices, foliage, cucaloris, etc which tend to be around windows, or we place to give interesting textures to the image). I rather not use them for hard light. This is the sort of situation that I would never notice in anyone else's picture, but drives me up the wall when I am the person responsible with creating the image. ;)

Edited by Saul Rodgar, 15 January 2010 - 02:54 AM.

#25 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 January 2010 - 03:02 AM

EDIT Agreed, I generally can see it in the small objects that are casting shadows from the multiple lamp fixtures (as you mention: blinds, or latices, foliage, cucaloris, etc which tend to be around windows, or we place to give interesting textures to the image). I rather not use them for hard light. This is the sort of situation that I would never notice in anyone else's picture, but drives me up the wall when I am the person responsible for creating the image. ;)

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Abel Cine