Sebastien Lafortune-Fortin

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Quebec, Canada

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:46 PM

Hi! So, sorry for the confusion, I wasn't sure to write in 16mm or super8 but decided to write here on account that double 8mm is basically 16mm with double perforations. (with differences in developping and projecting)

So I got this film here and I'm quite confused about developping it, positives and negatives and whatnot. I've heard that some films are ready to be edited on a table light as soon as they're exposed while others need to be kept in the dark and sent to a lab for development (in my case, the Niagara Custom Labs in Toronto)

Any clue ?

Thanks!

Seb

#2 Simon Wyss

Simon Wyss
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1509 posts
  • Other
  • Near Basel, Switzerland

Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:18 AM

Sure. All light sensitive stocks need to be kept in the dark. You want correct exposure to the light coming from a lens in a camera. After exposure the film is again protected against light until development and fixation. Full-flange spools and protection leader, additional length, help keeping light away. The outermost windings cover the inner length. After having threaded up your camera in the shadow you run the film forward in the closed camera about three feet. The veiled beginning is wound up, unexposed film brought into position behind the image aperture.

Once fixated the film can be viewed, projected, duplicated.

Double-Eight film runs twice through the camera. First run exposes one half of its width, then you swap spools and expose the other side. Processing goes as 16mm wide film, often together with 16mm material on collection rolls. After processing it gets split in two, the 8mm strips joined and returned to you. That way you have 50 ft. of Regular-Eight film out of nominal 25 ft. of Double-Eight. The actual length of a portion is about 32 ft. There is additional length on almost all portions, be they on darkroom core (magazine loads), be they on daylight loading spools.

You have reversal stocks and negative films. Reverse processing yields a positive image for direct projection. Negatives usually are printed onto dedicated stocks, you have so-called contact positives. The negative-positive process is the professional approach. Reversible films are the classic amateur stocks.

What camera do you have?

Edited by Simon Wyss, 15 May 2018 - 01:19 AM.

#3 Sebastien Lafortune-Fortin

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Quebec, Canada

Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:22 AM

I have a Kodak Brownie no 2, from 1960 if I'm not mistaken.

#4 Simon Wyss

Simon Wyss
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1509 posts
  • Other
  • Near Basel, Switzerland

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:31 AM

Fine, a beginning. Next things to add ar a tripod and a projector. That’s the basic set. Have fun!

#5 Sebastien Lafortune-Fortin

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Quebec, Canada

Posted 15 May 2018 - 10:48 AM

Thank you!

#6 Carl Richards

Carl Richards
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Other
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne

Posted 05 July 2018 - 02:26 AM

Hi Sebastien.

I am also a D8 user and have a Bolex C8 with a few lenses I have collected off ebay.

I have been filming for about a year or so and mainly shoot colour negative, which I have scanned and then edit on my computer.

8mm is great as its reasonably cheap and the results are certainly good enough to make movies for family and friends. Also, practice makes perfect and it is cheap enough to allow you to experiment.

Have you shot a test roll yet? I found it quite exciting when I got my first scan back and you see that everything is working!

I also love the idea of bringing these old things back to life.

I have bought a few 8mm books very cheaply off ebay too and these have helped a lot with the basics.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Carl

#7 Robert Houllahan

Robert Houllahan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1645 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Providence R.I.

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:36 AM

Hi Carl

Who is making R8 Color Negative? I saw some come through Cinelab recently and I have been shooting Fomapan on a Bolex B8L someone recently gave me and I am liking the tiny size of the format.

-Rob-

#8 Perry Paolantonio

Perry Paolantonio
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Other
  • Boston, MA

Posted 05 July 2018 - 12:35 PM

Who is making R8 Color Negative?

http://toeppenfilm.com/

#9 Carl Richards

Carl Richards
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Other
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne

Posted 05 July 2018 - 03:48 PM

Hi Carl

Who is making R8 Color Negative? I saw some come through Cinelab recently and I have been shooting Fomapan on a Bolex B8L someone recently gave me and I am liking the tiny size of the format.

-Rob-

Rob,

I bought some off a guy on an 8mm Facebook group. Sadly he has none left, as I recently asked him. I have 3 or 4 rolls left.

This guy told me there was someone in London who has the machinery to reperf film into various formats. So if you had any film lying around, he can turn it into usable D8 film. I don’t know if he is doing it anymore, so I have emailed him directly and asked.

I will report back when he replies. It would be great to get people up and running with colour film again!

Regards

Carl

#10 John Salim

John Salim
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Other
  • Essex, UK

Posted 05 July 2018 - 04:32 PM

ON8MIL in London sell a range of KAHL Standard 8mm film..... 

https://www.on8mil.c...ges/standard-8/

John S  :)

#11 Wilfried E. Keil

Wilfried E. Keil
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Germany

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:35 PM

Wittner Cinetec in Germany has still some wittner chrome 200 double 8 color reversal stock in a length of 7,5m.

http://www.wittnerci...m/Products/5101

But it is the last he manutactured, because the stock is finished.

They also have a machine for perforation.

#12 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2085 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:41 AM

So who is processing Regular 8mm in B&W, Reversal or Color negative? Robert, can you do that? I think Spectra was doing some of that...Dwayne's used to do color reversal Regular 8mm...

What about Double Super 8? Anyone processing that if you can find the film? 

#13 Nick Collingwood

Nick Collingwood
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York, NY

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:17 PM

I've gotten R8 Foma BW developed at CineLab with good results. Also I know Dwayne's and Spectra will do R8 E6. Spectra will do CN and BW as well I believe. They both even sell the film.

#14 Carl Richards

Carl Richards
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Other
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:31 PM

So who is processing Regular 8mm in B&W, Reversal or Color negative? Robert, can you do that? I think Spectra was doing some of that...Dwayne's used to do color reversal Regular 8mm...

What about Double Super 8? Anyone processing that if you can find the film? 

Will,

Where are you based?

Carl

#15 Robert Houllahan

Robert Houllahan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1645 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Providence R.I.

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:58 PM

Our man Steve Chevalier in B&W at Cinelab has really been working on Fomapan developing and I think it has gotten really good, it takes more to dry than Tri-X but the DS8 I have been shooting I really like allot.

#16 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2085 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:05 AM

Will,

Where are you based?

Carl

Texas, U.S.A.

#17 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2085 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:06 AM

I've gotten R8 Foma BW developed at CineLab with good results. Also I know Dwayne's and Spectra will do R8 E6. Spectra will do CN and BW as well I believe. They both even sell the film.

Thanks...I love R8. Cameras are tiny and easy to use. Honestly, R8 is the new Super 8 since Super 8 has gotten so good with the Vision stocks.

I have to test this Canon Scoopic Double Super 8 camera and have some fresh Foma B&W. That may be tricky to get processed.

#18 Nick Collingwood

Nick Collingwood
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York, NY

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:42 AM

Thanks...I love R8. Cameras are tiny and easy to use. Honestly, R8 is the new Super 8 since Super 8 has gotten so good with the Vision stocks.

Ha you mean in terms of retro aesthetics? Definitely not cheaper or as available sadly. I've only shot R8 once in an old Keystone K35 I got from my grandfather-in-law. The lens was definitely not in great shape and had fungus or other aberrations in it. To your point, you can actually see a mixture of 2K scanned Kodak Tri-X shot on a Nizo 801 and FomaPan 100 shot on the Keystone in my film below. I'll leave it up to you to figure out which shots are which.  ;)  But no doubt, it seems like everything has bumped up. 16mm is the new 35. and Super 8 is the new 16mm. So it's only natural R8 is the new S8. I have a couple rolls of Cine-X 125 and CineChrome 100D in R8 that someone gave me. I need to shoot em but no camera good enough!

I have to test this Canon Scoopic Double Super 8 camera and have some fresh Foma B&W. That may be tricky to get processed.

Anyways! Spectra lists on their website that they do DS8 B&W and I believe CineLab does too but Robert would have to confirm that.

#19 Robert Houllahan

Robert Houllahan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1645 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Providence R.I.

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:01 PM

We do DS8 B&W and in a few weeks we will be running E6 as well.

We also recently ran some ECN DS8 stock for a customer.

#20 Jean-Louis Seguin

Jean-Louis Seguin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts
  • Other
  • Montreal, Canada

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:58 AM

I would be curious to find out where you can obtain ECN in DS8.

AFAIK no one is offering this in the marketplace.

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

Broadcast Solutions Inc